PDA

View Full Version : Broken leg, invalidates insurance?

Kinky Monza
09-03-10, 03:20 PM
Does anyone on here work in insurance? Preferably in claims to answer this?

Or failing that any police officers on here?

Need to know if someone (not me) driving with a broken leg invalidates insurance?

Jack
09-03-10, 03:29 PM
Can't say either way, as it all depends on the situation and what the insurance company (and medical staff) said to the driver.

I would have thought they'd have been advised by medical staff not to drive with a broken leg though!

Kinky Monza
09-03-10, 03:33 PM
Thanks Jack, I've been told by the Police that is depends if they have full control of the car they're driving and seeing as he crashed at high speeds it would seem not!

Mattman
09-03-10, 03:37 PM
It depends on the doctors advice, if they have not advised the person cannot drive then all is good. Insurance are only concerned about med conditions that need to be notified to the DVLA and/or a Doctor has advised against driving with.

I can post a list and our companies guidelines if you need mate

Jack
09-03-10, 03:45 PM
Just thought, some medication may come with a warning not to drive if it causes drowsiness etc. I know my current painkillers do, but then I can't even sit in a car at the mo so I'm not daft enough to try and drive it lol

Kinky Monza
09-03-10, 03:49 PM
Jack you've no idea how useful that is!

Mattman, can you PM me with them please?

MK999
09-03-10, 03:57 PM
depends where they put a line in the sand between a cut finger and a full body cast and partial sight affecting your ability to drive, if they were an ass about it I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to pay claiming pain from a cut finger negatively effected your ability to drive!

Lee
09-03-10, 03:59 PM
I would say if your leg is in a restrictive cast, then you shouldnt drive end of! (unless its an auto and its your left leg thats broken)

Kinky Monza
09-03-10, 04:05 PM
Tibia and Fibia broken, and one of the bones has a metal bar and screws in it, no cast though

Guderian
09-03-10, 05:20 PM
Yep i work in a claims dept.

You should be cleared by your GP or consultant before you can drive...BUT the onus for knowing whether you re capable of controlling the vehicle falls mainly in your OWN court; ie if your control and confidence is unaffected then you might well decide to drive.

As said already, if it is a left leg and you have auto transmission, it is not so much of an issue.

....But- confused slightly.... did we break our leg then drive afterwards and have another 'incident'..?

Kinky Monza
09-03-10, 06:07 PM
Broken left leg, manual car. Broken in January so the bone probably hasn't knitted back fully.

Reason I'm asking is the driver of the car that nearly killed me and my 4 year old daughter is driving with a broken leg! And he's trying to put blame on me!

Ben
09-03-10, 06:26 PM
Depends on the situation if he was driving down a straight road and you swerved into him it dosent matter if he had any legs.

Spudly
09-03-10, 06:37 PM
Ive recently had an operation on my right knee and was not allowed to drive afterwards untill i had been checked as safe to do so, i was later told (when i rang the out patients clinic) that aslong as i could safely and effectively perform an emergency stop, and also without any pain or discomfort, then i was good to go, but i wouldve thought a broken leg would require medical confirmation 100% before being allowed to drive, hope this helps!

Jack
09-03-10, 07:20 PM
that aslong as i could safely and effectively perform an emergency stop, and also without any pain or discomfort, then i was good to go
Thats what the surgeon told me after my RPLND. Not sure I'd want to try that one though, as if I get halfway through an emergency stop and realise I can't do one, all my innards might fall out lol

lee-loon
09-03-10, 07:27 PM
My mate broke his arm and he was not insured untill he had the pot removed,

Kinky Monza
09-03-10, 07:34 PM
Thanks lads, knew I could count on you lot :)

General Baxter
09-03-10, 07:39 PM
when i crashed my van at erm 30ish lol

i had slight wiplash a few days later, the doctor told me not to drive on that lol

bazil
09-03-10, 07:46 PM
when i crashed my van at erm 30ish lol

i had slight wiplash a few days later, the doctor told me not to drive on that lol

same as wearing a neckbrace, not allowed to drive with one of those as it restricts movement of the head so impairs your ability to drive,

my work does not allow us to drive with any broken arms or legs, hgv tho.

mowgli
09-03-10, 07:57 PM
i snapped half of the top off my left tibia & had it bolted back on. after 2 months, i was passed fit to put weight on it, but take it steady for a couple of weeks before driving to make sure everything was fine. so that was 10 weeks & i was treated by the top trauma surgeon in oxford. his initial diagnosis was 3 months not 2, but i told him that as i was getting married in 2 months, i was walking down the aisle.

if it is actually the bones snapped & not the joint, i would imagine that it would need at least 3 months before weight bearing. a workmates wife snapped both bones & didn't walk right for 18 months.

KM why not voice your concerns via your own insurers.. and make sure that he is not pursuing any form of sick payout too

Jack
09-03-10, 08:14 PM
my work does not allow us to drive with any broken arms or legs, hgv tho.
DVLA are only interested in limb deficiencies if its a long term or ongoing thing. So a one off break won't concern them.

Friend of mine who had a tumor at the top of her spine (now removed) has had her license restricted for 24 months as they considered it to be a brain tumor and she was at risk of having a fit or seizure even though doctors have given her the all clear :(

djbrowney
09-03-10, 08:41 PM
i was in plaster a few years ago for 28 weeks :( i was told at the time that it wasnt illegal to drive with a cast but it was illegal to drive with out your shoes on so if your foot was in plaster then they have you by the bollocks anyway !

Lynsey
09-03-10, 08:49 PM
I drive without my shoes on looooaaaadddds! Better be stopping that then!

Jack
09-03-10, 08:51 PM
I can't do that, its wrong :wtf:

MK999
09-03-10, 08:55 PM
Especially on 25 year old nova pedals! lol

Stuart
09-03-10, 09:09 PM
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-talk/428090-st0452-nomore.html

that one?

Kinky Monza
09-03-10, 09:36 PM
Yes Stuart, that's the car. It's my BFs car that was hit by another car where the driver had a broken leg

Stuart
09-03-10, 09:41 PM
so are you hoping for an invalidation? (you will get **** all from it if you are)

MattBrown
09-03-10, 09:51 PM
Personally as Stewart said, keep your moosh firmly closed, if his policy is invalidated, you'll get sod all out of it!

mowgli
09-03-10, 10:00 PM
if the other party is doing something wrong then its a full payout to you

Stuart
09-03-10, 10:22 PM
lmfao @ the revelations on MIG... of course cucumber muncher will deny it.

I dont care either way but this should be a poprcorn moment :d

bazil
09-03-10, 10:46 PM
DVLA are only interested in limb deficiencies if its a long term or ongoing thing. So a one off break won't concern them.

Friend of mine who had a tumor at the top of her spine (now removed) has had her license restricted for 24 months as they considered it to be a brain tumor and she was at risk of having a fit or seizure even though doctors have given her the all clear :(

I hope your friend is doing well,
as regards my company, we find that there are so many things that insurance companies get worried about, the DVLA are clear on alot of issuses like heart problems, diabitties (sp), sleepapnia (sp again lol) epilepsy ,stroke, if you suffer from or have had any of these condition your licence will be taken from you. Most drivers never get their hgv back after a heart attack or stroke.

Stuart
09-03-10, 10:58 PM
oh yay

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-talk/428090-st0452-nomore-2.html#post4244702

EPICNESS!!!!!!!

General Baxter
09-03-10, 10:59 PM
linkbacks lol

Hobbit
10-03-10, 05:16 AM
I drive without my shoes on looooaaaadddds! Better be stopping that then!

me too, never knew it was illegal :confused:

mowgli
10-03-10, 07:50 AM
oh yay

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-talk/428090-st0452-nomore-2.html#post4244702

EPICNESS!!!!!!!

ah well, the story concludes........ its a pity hercules poirot can't line them all up in the drawing room and say who dunnit.....

General Baxter
10-03-10, 07:52 AM
can we say no one was driving and did anyone have any legs ?

mowgli
10-03-10, 07:54 AM
i believe that its yes on both counts.......

but when will people learn that if you haven't got a ticket, you can't go on the ride

Jack
10-03-10, 10:19 AM
LOL so one car had two drivers, neither of which had licenses, and the other car only had one leg. Sounds like a plot to some 50s ealing comedy lol

L14MNP
10-03-10, 10:46 AM
lol this is awesome. I'm only on page 1 of MIG.

http://images25.fotki.com/v956/photos/6/61479/1127536/15Exxonref-vi.jpg
"I've raced with my legs broken, heart bruised and eyes popping out ike they were on springs"

mowgli
10-03-10, 10:58 AM
LOL so one car had two drivers, neither of which had licenses, and the other car only had one leg. Sounds like a plot to some 50s ealing comedy lol

http://www.oerm.org/pages/laurel_and_hardy.jpg

L14MNP
10-03-10, 11:09 AM
Family snap Mowgli?

Stuart
10-03-10, 11:26 AM
lol this is awesome. I'm only on page 1 of MIG.

http://images25.fotki.com/v956/photos/6/61479/1127536/15Exxonref-vi.jpg
"I've raced with my legs broken, heart bruised and eyes popping out ike they were on springs"

where is it upto now? I cant get on mig at work lol I left at page 2 last night.

L14MNP
10-03-10, 11:32 AM
Page two. Sorry to disappoint! lol

I was just in stitches at all of the revelations that unwound on the first page.

Some people are so complicated!

Stuart
10-03-10, 11:48 AM
and some like to go on other sites and pretend to be holier than thou lol... then vanish when the truth comes out.... oh hang on.

derv vec
10-03-10, 08:59 PM
to be fair to the guy that has got a pin in his leg and was clear to drive, at least he has a valid full driving licence tracie ffs!!!!!!!

derv vec
10-03-10, 10:00 PM
and insurance iirc...........................

Jack
10-03-10, 10:03 PM
Lets not have this argument spill over onto this forum, its already been had across two others!

derv vec
10-03-10, 10:14 PM
sorry..........................................

people deserve to know the truth of lying divs though.....

its not an argument more of a discussion pmsl

let_nova
10-03-10, 10:17 PM
just feck off back to mig lol

Ben
10-03-10, 10:19 PM

Posting on another forum is probably against there rules so will get banned soon

Stuart
10-03-10, 10:20 PM

Dont be a complete bender.

General Baxter
10-03-10, 10:20 PM
lol

mowgli
10-03-10, 10:21 PM
who cares, theres 2 more donor cars for us to strip

derv vec
10-03-10, 10:22 PM
oh thats nice innit!!!

i join on here cause im in the middle of getting a nova for my next project, see this thread and know stuff about it so i comment........

General Baxter
10-03-10, 10:23 PM
dont mind let-nova, its his time of the month

Stuart
10-03-10, 10:24 PM
Dont worry about gayboy_let_nova (xe_nova on mig ;) ) hes just a big fanny

derv vec
10-03-10, 10:25 PM
lol nice one kids

let_nova
10-03-10, 10:26 PM
stuart the feelings mutual as you know hunny.

Stuart
10-03-10, 10:27 PM
yep, I know its mutual. Its all part of the fun of winding you up xxx

mowgli
10-03-10, 10:29 PM
oh thats nice innit!!!

i join on here cause im in the middle of getting a nova for my next project, see this thread and know stuff about it so i comment........

what usually happens on here is that a newbie posts in somewhere like general chat to introduce themselves, and not just wade in on one side on an argument, that just happens to be in a thread on the day they join...

coincidence or not, its a bit too convenient....

anyway, welcome to png,

Stuart
10-03-10, 10:30 PM
what usually happens on here is that a newbie posts in somewhere like general chat to introduce themselves, and not just wade in on one side on an argument, that just happens to be in a thread on the day they join...

coincidence or not, its a bit too convenient....

anyway, welcome to png,

He saw the linkback on the thread on mig that hes posting in.... its not rocket science.

Ben
10-03-10, 10:32 PM
its not rocket science.

Wonder if Nasa have insurance or if you can pilot a spacecraft with a broken leg?

Stuart
10-03-10, 10:36 PM
Hope they have a multiship policy lol

mowgli
10-03-10, 10:38 PM
Hope they have a multiship policy lol

2 of the shuttles crashed, i wonder if they blamed an old codger in a nissan for that.......

Stuart
10-03-10, 10:55 PM
someone else was flying them

Stuart
02-06-10, 11:47 AM
so how did this epicness pan out then?

Jon_nova1
02-06-10, 12:26 PM
erm...well lol

3 Vectra's driving too fast on a dual carriageway, together, but not racing.
Black one with B&L(BEN), Tracie, and kid(frankie?).
Burgundy one with s7oneyv6 (mark).
White one with someone in.

Nissan pulls out without judging speeding Vectras.

Black one tries to avoid, and ditches it into barriers, then get hit by another (burgundy Vectra), who is also trying to avoid Nissan, and either hits the black Vectra, Nissan or barrier, or all three.
White Vectra gets away with skirting between it all, and is ok?

The people in the black Vectra were either drunk, didn't have a licence, didn't have insurance, or all three? but decided to start a thread? And can't decide who was driving?
The bloke in the burgundy Vectra had a problem with his leg already, and was ADVISED not to drive too fast or aggressively, but not banned, or told not to drive.
The bloke in the white vectra, saw it all, got away without a scratch, but hasn't told anyone the full story as they are all all right blokes?

turns out the nissan owner tootled off, but yeah, if insurance companies/police see that topic, then no-ones getting paid out lol

Sloth
02-06-10, 12:27 PM
funk knows but this from tom reid made me piss....

No,NO,NO,NO, your'e all wrong!!!!
The good lad in the black Vectra was changing his tights after a felching session had gone wrong, when the little Nissan driven by Mr Magoo pulled out into the outside lane, cause it was empty, the burgundy Vectra, was being driven by a one legged dogger who want's to get into felching, thats why he was trying to catch the black Vectra, but wasn't racing you understand, now the burgundy vectra, wasn't into felching, but wanted to try rear ending another vectra and fancied a bit o black, BUT, the black vectra was having non of it and spun back round quickly so that burgundy vectra couldn't get it's front end-away.
So, Ben's ass is grass (and wet)
The one legger hasn't got a leg to stand on
And both Vectra's are shagged, but not satisfied.

Kinky Monza
07-10-10, 04:53 PM
For Stuarts curiosity: ALL THE CHARGES AGAINST ME FOR THIS CRASH THAT B AND L CUSTOMS CAUSED, HAVE BEEN THROWN OUT OF COURT!!!

Andy
07-10-10, 05:09 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAKj1NSkOs-YFNQnN79oY2BuDDWVzfE9ErSKFZFIo1QO2D32I&t=1&usg=__JneHAn0Gi__qfaA6CS1Ftxj8PH0=

L14MNP
07-10-10, 05:11 PM
B&L caused it? i thought the Micra was at fault. lol

LMAO @ this charade!

mowgli
07-10-10, 06:47 PM
no, it was definitely the micra & the three vectras that weren't racing each other, nobody mentioned a small daihatsu

Sloth
07-10-10, 08:35 PM
i thought utter cuntish driving and a total disregard for life and the law caused it?

and lol at:

ALL THE CHARGES AGAINST ME FOR THIS CRASH THAT B AND L CUSTOMS CAUSED, HAVE BEEN THROWN OUT OF COURT!!!

so you admit that you caused it yet got off? your a fukking oxygen theif.

Kinky Monza
07-10-10, 09:10 PM
I didn't cause it, my ex crashed the bloody car! Are you that thick you cannot understand that?

L14MNP
07-10-10, 09:15 PM
I CBA to trawl MIG web as I can weld, so excuse me for not getting the latest story, but initially the Nissan was being blamed, and your black Vectra was innocent,dropped the anchor to avoid said Nissan and ditched it.

Que?

Sloth
07-10-10, 09:30 PM
For Stuarts curiosity: ALL THE CHARGES AGAINST ME FOR THIS CRASH THAT B AND L CUSTOMS CAUSED, HAVE BEEN THROWN OUT OF COURT!!!

that says different......

L14MNP
07-10-10, 09:36 PM
LMAO it sounds like a crash involving a clown car.

Andy
07-10-10, 09:37 PM
spinning bow ties and square wheels much?,was billy smart driving??

Jack
08-10-10, 08:35 AM
that says different......
No, that would imply the charges were dropped as there's no basis for prosecution.

Thread Dead.