PDA

View Full Version : unusual wheel wobble

clemo
08-03-10, 06:51 PM
over the last 3 or 4 days ive noticed that my mk2 sri has developed a strange new characteristic. the steering wheel wobbles/shakes at slow speeds usually when cornering less than 20 mph and on light throttle/over run. its not wheel balancing as ive balanced the wheels and it doesnt do it at higher speed anyway, it feels like a tyre out of shape but the tyres are nearly new yoko's and dont have any bulges or uneven wear the only other thing i can think of is a drive shaft as i thought i heard i slight clicking altho cant hear it now. however the cv boot on n/s has a pin hole in it.

could it be that the joint is drying out allowing the shaft to move too much in the pot joints? or does anyone know of any suspension problems that cause similar faults?

p.s i have shook the wheels and doesnt appear to have any play in suspension joints.

clemo
10-03-10, 10:50 PM
just to update i found out what the wheel wobble was on my way to work yesterday when the cage that holds the bearings in the cv joint split in two making the steering wheel judder like hell. lol.
put a new joint on and its o.k now

craig green
10-03-10, 11:17 PM
Nice one. You sussed it so easily. It doesnt even have to be the fr end to give the same characteristics.

Guderian
11-03-10, 08:51 AM
I had one fail, a lump the size of my thumbnail had come out of the cage. Result- Horrible noises on lock. Seems to be a weakness in this area.