PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so difficult to buy a car?

djshaggeh
08-03-10, 01:35 PM
So the story from the top.

3 weeks ago, I thought I'd have a clean up round the house as it was my day off from work and the missus was in Paris. I thought it would be a nice suprize for when she gets home.

So I loaded all the recycling into the nova and went on my way to the recycling place. On the return leg some numpty decides to overtake me on cross hatching at silly speeds. Then proceeds to lose control right in front of me and spin out. I had no where to go but into his drivers door, nice :mad:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00259-1.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00260-1.jpg

I managed to get a fairly speedy payout out. It took just over a week in total. A result I thought. So I have the cash ready in the bank. I've just got to source something else (with just as much character). No worries I thought. Well I was wrong. Three weeks on and still nothing has come up. So far I've missed out on 2.5 V6 mk2 astra GTE. I've looked at a redtop nova, which was mighty rotten.

I think I'm going mad (or gay) as I've started looking at MX-5's!

HELP!

NovaLad
08-03-10, 01:38 PM
I'm about to put a rover up for sale :thumb:
lol lol lol

djshaggeh
08-03-10, 01:40 PM
Great so my options are gay or old before my time lol I'm only 26

Sloth
08-03-10, 01:45 PM
fix that un/\

brainsnova
08-03-10, 01:53 PM
I'm about to put a rover up for sale :thumb:
lol lol lol

please dont ;)

Southie
08-03-10, 01:55 PM
fix that un/\

The shame :eek: But I agree lol

LEWI007
08-03-10, 02:03 PM
Fix the nova !

And spend the extra money on something nice

djshaggeh
08-03-10, 02:04 PM
Tbf its probobly do-able. There is tears around the strut top in the engine bay and inside the arch. The battery tray is torn and the drivers door doesn't open due to it catching on the wing. I think its tainted now though.

LEWI007
08-03-10, 02:07 PM
Is it a proper GTE ?

Dont scrap it :(

djshaggeh
08-03-10, 02:09 PM
Yeh its a proper GTE :) or was a proper GTE!

Won't it need jigging due to the damage to the strut mount?

mowgli
08-03-10, 02:10 PM
Is it a proper GTE ?

Dont scrap it :(

its registered as a 1598cc

Nova_Tek
08-03-10, 02:14 PM
Fix your car mate. Save the cash for some toys or for future Nova fixingness :) At the end of the day it's a Nova and can be fixed lol

LEWI007
08-03-10, 02:15 PM
Yeah just pull it straight and slap a couple new panels on.

Dont let it die because of that.

Nova_Tek
08-03-10, 02:17 PM
Yeah mate it's a GTE aswell. I've seen little french cars in a right mess get fixed. So for a Nova it's unquestionable about what to do. ;)

djshaggeh
08-03-10, 02:18 PM
The only thing that worries me is the tears around the suspension mount. The last thing I want to do is spend a load of money just to find out the supension geometrys are wrong.

mowgli
08-03-10, 02:22 PM
The only thing that worries me is the tears around the suspension mount. The last thing I want to do is spend a load of money just to find out the supension geometrys are wrong.

a decent body shop will get it right.

i had far worse straightened out on one of mine & it drove fine for years

djshaggeh
08-03-10, 02:24 PM
Lovely, thats what I was wanting to hear Mowgli. I will get some quotes.

Southie
08-03-10, 02:26 PM
Lovely, thats what I was wanting to hear Mowgli. I will get some quotes.

Welcome to PNG :d

JordyzNova
08-03-10, 03:07 PM
mate im in teh same bout 2 weeks ago wednesday night was drivin around following a corsa and a punto i think they both indicated left to turn down a street so i go to go round them both think there goin left then suddenly this corsa changes his mind and pull out in front of me at bout 30 so i slkammed brakes on swerved because it was wet bang stright into a telegraph pole ! !

it wudnot start so i had get it recoveryd back looked up the bent up bonnet to find that my ,,,, engine mount had broke,crack my 4branch top and bottom,altentor hit the bulkhead and broke casing,the rad snaped and melted on to exhaust..... got the front end off think u could repair it but the front chassis leg has slighly bent up ! so will it go down the road on the wonk after :cry: :cry: :cry:

is it worth doin ? :confused: :confused:

NovaLad
08-03-10, 03:07 PM
Rover is up mate feel free to make an offer lol

craig green
08-03-10, 03:19 PM
Engine out, cut off the drivers side passenger leg & turret from the bulkhead.
Weld on a whole leg & turret etc cut from a donor car. Pretty major, but in the grand scheme of things, the simplest & most effective repair you could do.

Under bonnet damage pics?

Mike
08-03-10, 03:43 PM
Thats a well easy fix!

Id keep it & repair TBH. ^As Craig says, a complete front corner would be far quicker/cheaper/easier to do then straigthen it all out.

Sloth
08-03-10, 03:52 PM
id look at getting it on a jig at a body shop. it would pull straight.

djshaggeh
08-03-10, 06:08 PM
Right some more pics as requested. I apologise for the picture quality as I only have a ****ty camera phone.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00275-1.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00274-2.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00277-1.jpg

You can't really see anything on this one so you'll just have to take my word for it it. there is a little tear under here to.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/djshaggeh/DSC00276-1.jpg

Plan of action is to get my bosses dad to run through a quote for me and go from there. I will keep you posted.

Ben
08-03-10, 06:26 PM
That would pull straight out no problems.

mowgli
08-03-10, 06:33 PM
i've seen people pull stuff like that out with a rope & a street light

Ben
08-03-10, 06:36 PM
i've seen people pull stuff like that out with a rope & a street light

You spying on me lol

Rexy
08-03-10, 06:40 PM
Jesus, thats a really easy fix lol.

How is the rest of the shell before you jump in and repair it?

If you 100% happy with the rest of it, and there is no rust problems etc blar blar repair it.

If you have rusty arches of more patches than a montego, maybe its time to break it. Take the ID and use it on a better shell. Whalalaaaaaaaaa its still a GTE ;P lol Couple of Turret plates and your away.

Ben
08-03-10, 06:45 PM
Jesus, thats a really easy fix lol.

How is the rest of the shell before you jump in and repair it?

If you 100% happy with the rest of it, and there is no rust problems etc blar blar repair it.

If you have rusty arches of more patches than a montego, maybe its time to break it. Take the ID and use it on a better shell. Whalalaaaaaaaaa its still a GTE ;P lol Couple of Turret plates and your away.

"PNG do not condone Rexy's comments they are off his own opinion and should not be taken seriously"

lmfao

djshaggeh
08-03-10, 06:48 PM
The rest of the shell is average I'd say. As you can see theres a patch infront of the turret that was done before I bought it and a patch in the boot. I repaired a hole in the sill before its mot which was done about a week before it was written off. The rear arches were done before I bought it but it was a poor effort as its started it bubble up on both sides. So that would have to be done aswell.

Anyone got any rough guestimations of how much its going to cost me so I don't get ripped off?

Rexy
08-03-10, 06:54 PM
£500 ish painted, but that colour is a **** so maybe a bit more as the bonnet and other wing and deffo a door will need painting to match/blend

And there only old novas Ben nobody will mind lol :P

grooge
08-03-10, 11:14 PM
defo an easy fix there mate. a reckon with a bit a heat the bumper will be usable again aswell, I've sorted similar.