Southie
07-03-10, 06:09 PM
I didn't know Ken Block was doing it this year :roll:

peester
07-03-10, 06:15 PM
aye to get the ratings up i guess.. mr raikonnen tho lol

John
07-03-10, 06:16 PM
Hmm, i'm stuck with dora the explorer, grrrrrr.

George g
07-03-10, 06:20 PM
Only half an hour though...

Southie
07-03-10, 06:40 PM
John get Daveyavu on at 7 lol

The second part of it is on at 10.35 tonight ;)

Ken Block lol that is all so I don't spoil it lol lol lol

Jack
08-03-10, 06:51 PM
Block is only doing a select few rallies, 7 I think. Full season will be next year if he's any good - which, judging by this weekend's performance, he isn't. lol

WRC has got epically boring over the last few years. I mean ffs its basically just Ford vs Citroen now. People rave at how amazing Loeb is, but lets face it he doesn't really have much competition now does he! PWRC has a bit more variation but minimal coverage :(

mowgli
08-03-10, 06:55 PM
block might do some good, but he really doesn't seem to fit the professional rally driver mould too well.....

but from what i've seen, he will be crap

the last yank to do really well in europe was mario andretti..

but that travis pastrano bloke would probably do a hell of a lot better than ken

Jack
08-03-10, 07:07 PM
Block & Pastrano are used to driving well practised layouts with particular set pieces which they can go back and do a few times then edit together to make it look like they can do it all in one shot. A WRC event is a bit more involved than ranting a car down a back road at 90mph and doing some handbrake turns lol

mowgli
08-03-10, 07:19 PM
agreed, but travis pastrano & ken block were team mates in the us rally championship a few years back, and travis won it

Pistol Pete
08-03-10, 07:22 PM
Watching it now. Good to see Block in it IMO. Brings abit more coverage to the WRC. Leob/Hirvonnen (sp?) fight should be abot closer this year.

Noobs fight, well lol Block has it won. Kimi spent more time digging the snow in sweeded and had a massive off in Mexico.

Hoping to get the Wales for the last round of the season this year.

MK999
08-03-10, 07:27 PM
I recall a while ago when they got a load of drivers to swap between f1/wrc cars, the f1 drivers were hopeless and the wrc guys were doing times good enough to qualify halfway up the grids etc ;p

Pistol Pete
08-03-10, 08:23 PM
Leob was meant to have a test with Red Bull last season, with the possibility of racing in the last round. But the stupid FIA wouldnt grant him his super license!! That would have been awesome. IMO he would have been good in an F1 car.

mowgli
08-03-10, 08:28 PM
Leob was meant to have a test with Red Bull last season, with the possibility of racing in the last round. But the stupid FIA wouldnt grant him his super license!! That would have been awesome. IMO he would have been good in an F1 car.

no, he was crap!!!!

he had tried a toro rosso to an old spec & its testing times looked good, but then he had a proper test in a gp2 against other drivers & was really slow.

rally drivers actually have a serious skill that racers don't use, restraint.
a circuit racer will stuff it at a decent slow corner every time, because a rally driver is spending all their time balancing grip with speed, they are 'slower'

Pistol Pete
08-03-10, 08:31 PM
Slow....as in Force India slow or Richard Whitely-esque slow??!! lol i mean all drivers are instantly fast the minute they get in an F1 car, obviously!

Still, would have been good IMO.

mowgli
08-03-10, 08:42 PM
well, it was like somebody had nicked the odd sparkplug

Pistol Pete
08-03-10, 08:46 PM
Should'nt have used a Torro Rosso then!!!! lol

Jack
08-03-10, 08:53 PM
Loeb just needs more single seater practice to be competitive in F1

I'm sure I remember a tale about how a Group B rally car was taken round an F1 track of the time and came close enough to qualify. Dunno how true that is mind.

MK999
08-03-10, 08:56 PM
Loeb just needs more single seater practice to be competitive in F1

I'm sure I remember a tale about how a Group B rally car was taken round an F1 track of the time and came close enough to qualify. Dunno how true that is mind.

depends on the "time" of group b, 'modern' F1 cars have anything between 500-600 bhp and 1500

mowgli
08-03-10, 09:01 PM
group B finished in 86, and jack is right.. a lancia delta s4 with high speed gears went round monza fast enough to qualify in the top ten at the italian gp... and in those days, f1 cars had up to 1500hp in qualifying, but crappy goodyear tyres.

MK999
08-03-10, 09:06 PM
thought it might be a delta if it did manage it, 3.5s to 60 iirc... on gravel lol

mowgli
08-03-10, 09:09 PM
thought it might be a delta if it did manage it, 3.5s to 60 iirc... on gravel lol

those group b cars were doing 0-100 in 5

MK999
08-03-10, 09:23 PM
those group b cars were doing 0-100 in 5
well once you get going on gravel, 60-100 has gotta be pretty quick :)

mowgli
08-03-10, 09:26 PM
trust me mk999, they were like lightning on 4 wheels, and to see one going full chat thru a forest was awe inspiring, the drivers of those things truly were heroes, a short quattro spitting flames and sounding like nothing you've ever heard before and lighting its tyres up on every gearchange is a great memory of mine

Lee
08-03-10, 10:57 PM
trust me mk999, they were like lightning on 4 wheels, and to see one going full chat thru a forest was awe inspiring, the drivers of those things truly were heroes, a short quattro spitting flames and sounding like nothing you've ever heard before and lighting its tyres up on every gearchange is a great memory of mine

Me too. We'll never see anything like that again because of the health and safety brigade. Too fast to race my ass.

MK999
08-03-10, 11:31 PM
if there was one form of racing I would have liked to have seen first hand it would probably be that, seen a couple of converted vids on youtube but it's not quite the same obviously, even a modern F1 car sounds awe inspiring up close, but these things were true monsters.

mowgli
09-03-10, 08:01 AM
the group b cars were fast & brutal.

the first true f1 car i saw was in 1992, it was nigel mansell's fw14c full chat up the top of the hill after eau rouge........i almost came on the spot.. it was the morning warm up but i thought, if this is only the warm up, what the hell is the race going to be like? it was truly awesome.. the cars were beautiful then, there were none of these bits & bobs all over them

L14MNP
09-03-10, 10:15 AM
Block needs to take his DC's off if he's gonna be competitive. lol

Maybe he can go for the 'how many cars can you roll in one season?' award. No doubt currently held by Pastramanama.

Jack
09-03-10, 10:37 AM
Colon McCrash more like.

L14MNP
09-03-10, 10:57 AM
If in doubt flat out FTW. At least he rolled his cars pushing the limit, not just being crap! lol

dj_wudgey
09-03-10, 11:25 AM
fooks sake i missed it!!

George g
09-03-10, 12:54 PM
To be fair, block had mathew Wilson covered from the get go, and he has been in it for ages!

Southie
09-03-10, 12:59 PM
fooks sake i missed it!!

Have a look at some of the footage from it then on the WRC site CLICKY (http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=7060) :thumb: