PDA

View Full Version : Central Locking Problem

chimp007_uk
07-03-10, 11:43 AM
I have GTE central locking fitted and it's never let me down... Until last weekend.The passenger side solenoid has stopped working. I've removed the solenoid and put a multimeter on the loom and it gets a 12v feed when the driver's solenoid is engaged. I have tried a spare solenoid and an aftermarket one and neither will work on the loom...

Am I missing something?

Spudly
07-03-10, 11:52 AM
Have you just plugged the spare solenoid in and tried it in your hand or have you bolted it into the door and tried to operate it, iirc it wont work with no load on it so if its not bolted in and conneted to the car it wont work, plug the spare in and hold it in your hand with your thumb over the top of it, then lock and unlock the door with your other hand, should see the spare one work!

AlexW
07-03-10, 12:00 PM
Will work fine without any load spud, if anything, they will fire up and down so fast its easy to tell if theres a problem.

It is most likely the control box on the back of the lower shelf, as these go wrong very offen. Other than that are you sure its not the drivers side switch?

chimp007_uk
07-03-10, 12:04 PM
Its a GTE central locking loom and solenoids, however i dont have locks so I have a remote locking solenoid activating the driver's solenoid... I should just swap all the nova loom for the aftermarket but it was far simpler at the time.

I will test the driver's solenoid now. Although, if there was a fault with that, I shouldn't be getting the 12v ready ont he passenger loom should I?

chimp007_uk
07-03-10, 03:34 PM
Definately no the driver's solenoid, You can hear the relays in the control module working...

Anyone have a spare control module?

Spudly
07-03-10, 04:36 PM
Will work fine without any load spud, if anything, they will fire up and down so fast its easy to tell if theres a problem.

They dont, not OE ones as i thought one didnt work till i put my thumb over the top of it as it needs a load, have you tested it like i said, if the relay clicks in the control box then thats not your problem as you can hear it working!

chimp007_uk
07-03-10, 04:46 PM
I held my thumb over it and no joy, and wired an aftermarket one into the same loom and that didnt work, although if i wired it onto the battery it works fine...

I stripped the control module down, looks like water had got inside. My brother is bringing the one off his GSI home to test.

Frustrating!