PDA

View Full Version : breather system for 1.6 turbo conversion

GTE TURBZ
14-04-03, 12:18 AM
Hi got a nova 1.6 gte turbo that chucks out blue smoke when comming of boast. (It has standard breather system) I've been told that the breather needs to be re routed. Can n e one help or know people that can sort it in the london area.

(P.S. CP i know u've given me advice but it was a bit techy.)

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scott5
14-04-03, 10:56 PM
r u 100% sure its the breather system and not a knackered turbo!!

_Ben_
14-04-03, 10:59 PM
The only re routing of the breather that was done on my Courtenay 1.6 Turbo was the cam cover pipe which usually goes into the throttle housing. Courtenay relocate it to instead go into the airflow meter (past the flap).

I doubt this is the problem.

When mine smoked whilst coming off of boost it was because the turbo was worn and nothing else. a replacement one fixed it care of Turbo Technics. You're looking at 700 quid if its the Turbo Technics T2 that you have on your car.

scott5
14-04-03, 11:04 PM
if the turbo is the problem then you might just be able to get it overhauled if its just a seal thats leaking or something like that.

You're looking at 700 quid if its the Turbo Technics T2 that you have on your car
i'm guessing thats for a hybrid or brand new unit cos a reconditioned one shouldn't cost that much.

_Ben_
14-04-03, 11:18 PM
Yep, sorry should have added that. All depends if its aTT unit or not, could well be something from a more normal road car like an R5GTT and in that case will be a lot cheaper. If its a TT unit and the cartridge is buggered its usually more econimcal to throw the old one out entirely and buyu a new one.

My advice is to take all the boost pipes off and inspect them for oil. There will be some but certainly shouldn't be a lot.

Once you've done that and assuming its difficult to gauge whats a lot of oil gently tug the turbine shaft in the turbo compressor housing if there is any play in it whatsoever (longitudinal is less of an issue than latitudinal) then the turbo bearing is certainly buggered and should be sent away to someone like Turbo Technics or Universal Turbos for an overhaul or outright replacement.

Might be a good idea to also go a full engine compression test too, there are instructions on the internet for doing this - if you need a compression tester (about 20 quid) Halfords to a Gunson one which has instructions on the back.

Hope that helps. Might be an idea to post some pictures of your engine bay or even email them. That way we can see what kinda conversion this is, I'm guessing it isn't a Courtenay one?!