PDA

View Full Version : car paint choice/cost/quality

djbrowney
06-03-10, 04:15 PM
my car was orginally painted with max mayer tc92, just a jet black. now the whole car is being done again and along with another the same colour. max mayer is £45 ltr which i find very fookin expensive. i dont need to colour match so what is the quality differnce between the £45 ltr stuf and the £20 ltr stuff

it just going to be sprayed 2k solid yet black !

i was looking at this rather than this lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2L-2-Pack-Solid-Jet-Black-2K-Gloss-Paint_W0QQitemZ330385936575QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_B ody_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item4cec8950bf

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Max-Meyer-2K-Acrylic-Mixing-Basic-TC92-1lt-size_W0QQitemZ390132975414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bo dy_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item5ad5bcc736

craig green
06-03-10, 05:21 PM
As with anything, you get what you pay for. I paid an extra £100 on top of the normal paint costs for ICI branded 2k when I had my GSi sprayed in 2002. I was told it would be harder (wearing) & slightly more UV resistant etc. I think ICI is a bit trickier to get a good finish from & it shows in places, but then again, the paint & colour are stunning in places where there is a nice finish. I had a bad job though overall, so I wouldnt be putting my car forward for any close scrinising anytime soon.

Rexy, Nick J or Benn would be worth getting advice from as they are from the trade.

djbrowney
06-03-10, 05:25 PM
i was hoping they would reply lol

im going to have a go at spraying it my self so dont want to go and waste £500-£600 on paint and **** it up lol !

but then if it comes out good i will be even more pissed of i didnt use better paint !

craig green
06-03-10, 05:37 PM
In that case I'd say use regular / cheap paint. I think better paints can be a hard to get a good flat finish fro, plus you will make other errors, with out a doubt. But a good painter can get awesome results from the cheap paint, so it all comes down to your prep & skills really.

Just my IMO.

djbrowney
06-03-10, 05:41 PM
cool cool, i was just wondering if a good finish can still obtained from the cheaper paint thats all mate, see what the others say !

your right im buying loads of paint because i no i will **** it up, but i would rather **** it up my self rather than paying someone else like i did last time lol !

craig green
06-03-10, 05:44 PM
I couldnt agree more, I'm so tempted to have a go at my next one myself, or help in a big way. But I'm sure people would agree that a skilled painter could get an awesome finish with regular quality paints.
I also think that if you decided the finish was a bit poor (1st time & all that), in a years time if you rubbed it down & started again, you arent really wasting too much money, esp if you re painted it in the same quality paint.

djbrowney
06-03-10, 05:52 PM
im doing both nova's the same colour so im hoping i can get it quite good i only need the paint i have bought compressor, gun, and **** loads of othere bits !

Rexy
06-03-10, 06:10 PM
Mr brown, its all based on materials used to make the paint in the first instance...

With this in mind, Rebranding is common in paints, clears etc blah blah. I've bought cheap stuff and found out it was actually more expensive stuff rebranded :D

Anyway... If your doing it yourself, i would opt for the cheaper option. With 2k its not really a massive problem as it will polish up and last a few years.

Look at riggys car next time you can, this was painted a few years back and that paint used was/is only £50 for 5l... It goes on well, and has had no problems.

If you warm the paint up before you mix it, it will flow out a little better just a little tip.

For a miles better fininsh you want to use clear and base, but 2k DG will do. its dead quick.

I did a Full squirt on a long wheel base merc sprinter van 58plate imagine the size of it and i did the roof etc everything on my own in 40 mins. Finish was pretty good as well.

craig green
06-03-10, 06:19 PM
A good gun helps too?

edit; I need to do a full squirt on a girls walls.

Rexy
06-03-10, 06:26 PM
you can get a good finish with any gun tbh, I personally now could not use a cheap ****ty gun. it would just feel wrong in my hands, ive been used to Devilbiss for 6 years. I dont like the sata guns and most cheapies are based on these.

But, on that... when i used to paint tipper bodies i used a Cheap £40 gun as it had a 1.8 setup. So it will let realllllly thick paint through it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HVLP-GRAVITY-AIR-SPRAY-GUN-1-4MM-AND-2MM-NOZZLES_W0QQitemZ130369948401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Air_Tools_and_Compressors?hash=item1e5aa78af1

that will do but dont forget you will need a gooooood compressor.

puntogtbax
06-03-10, 06:27 PM
the gun makes all the difference iv got a new devilbis gti but wouldnt buy 1 if u dond use it all the time because there epensive i use mine most days think iv got my £250 out of it

djbrowney
06-03-10, 06:28 PM
im only going for the 2k black because imo it looks much better than base and clear coat, craig i bought an Iwata 1.3mm gun as suggested by nick j lol

i did wonder about the re branding of the paint !

Rexy
06-03-10, 06:30 PM
at least you have your gun sorted then fella lol. just buy some paint, cup and a mask!!!!!! and get on it.

djbrowney
06-03-10, 06:38 PM
two of these and some 2k thinners and im away lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5L-2K-Gloss-Paint-Kit-Solid-Jet-Black-Activator_W0QQitemZ350290178876QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item518eebf33c

lee-loon
06-03-10, 06:57 PM
Like rexy said ive used cheap paint and it's gone on good but then again I've used cheap paint and it's gone on ****e and doesn't hold it's gloss,

Mipa is a good budget paint and the 2k high build is good also, as for the gun don't buy a cheap replica they are ****e,devilbiss do a gun called the finish line for about £85 and it's just as good as a gti,I use sata for base and clear and a gti for direct gloss,

The devilbiss finish line is fecking top for a cheap gun as long as you keep the 1.4 fluid tip on!

djbrowney
06-03-10, 08:05 PM
i have the gun, was just unsure about the paint mate

Benn
06-03-10, 08:37 PM
I'd pay the extra for the better paint, i've worked with cheap paint.. Its cheap for a reason. And £45 a lt is quite cheap.

djbrowney
06-03-10, 08:40 PM
so from what people are saying, its very hit and miss if its any good then lol

craig green
06-03-10, 08:47 PM
so from what people are saying, its very hit and miss if its any good then lol

Seems that way.

Spies Hecker is the norm around here. Someone say its crap, then that'll be why there are no good bodyshops I can trust. lol

djbrowney
06-03-10, 08:54 PM
i got mugged of big time a few years ago so im not going to let i happen again ffs

my local body shop sell max mayer paint at £45 a ltr lol

Rexy
07-03-10, 10:28 AM
as said, riggys cars was painted with cheap paint... The Mipa stuff is good but i didnt think they made 2k DG paint? I used MIPA products on J950TVP before it went euro. If you remeber J950tvp when it was white with blue bumpers? that was some cheap 2k paint from a place near me called autopaint.

Ring supertune if you have one, and see what they can offer. My old BABY blue shell E967ANB was painted using glasurit paint 2k DG only because they fooked up and mixed that instead of the letchler stuff :D

Rexy
07-03-10, 10:34 AM
I might be tempted to paint your car for a set of seats actually.

Ben
07-03-10, 10:40 AM
My painter uses cheap paint, cheapish guns in an old tin shed and paints anything from 6 month old Aston's to 92 corsa's and the finish he gets is impeccable.

Know loads of painters and never heard one complaining about cheap paint gives bad finish.

djbrowney
07-03-10, 10:49 AM
well i think im going to try cheap paint, it only going to cost £60 if it all goes wrong and has only cost me £60 !

lee-loon
09-03-10, 12:18 PM
My painter uses cheap paint, cheapish guns in an old tin shed and paints anything from 6 month old Aston's to 92 corsa's and the finish he gets is impeccable.

Know loads of painters and never heard one complaining about cheap paint gives bad finish.

the finish has very little to do with the quality of the paint,cheap base coat has extra binder in it, in some cases the supplier buys the tinters then ads binder to make profit,

lee-loon
09-03-10, 12:21 PM
I've just painted my car and the PPG/ICI/NEXA base coat was £200 per litre,the clear around £100 litre.

Stuart
09-03-10, 12:32 PM
Vinyl Wrap FTW

Nova_Tek
09-03-10, 12:32 PM
£46 per litre is fairly cheap mate. Back in 2000 when I was working in a body shop it cost £70 per litre for me to make up my paint.

Can't recall the brand or name the bodyshop doing my car now uses, but they pay something like £75-£80 (trade) for a litre of their tints. They always have their paints warm in their special heated cabinates as they are waterbased.

I'd personally go for the slightly better stuff if you are wanting it to last long. If the last stuff you used has been good then go with that. If it's been good from experience then it's worth considering.

ben doodar
09-03-10, 08:56 PM
I've noticed when pritty much everyone I've seen spraying a car allways Use a gravity fed gun. I've allways used a suction feed gun n allways had a pritty good finish for a diy job. Would it be worth trying a gravity fed gun for my next one? Any real advatages of the gravity fed gun?

Rexy
09-03-10, 09:08 PM
lol Gravity fed guns reach places your suction fed just will not ;)

If you have a say a full squirt and your going for a full pass around it inc bonnet etc you will find that towards the end of your pass your paint will start to run a little low and it can start to stutter as it drags air from the pot not paint. Granted the pots on the suction are a little larger than the gravity fed but i find spraying vertically is pretty fookin hard with a suction fed gun.

Suction fed guns are awesome for massive panels like vans, anything more than a 60' angle they seem to struggle. other people may get on with them but i dont really like them tbh. Oh and there even heavier, yeah its not a massive difference but try holding your arms out with a gun/600ml of paint and then a further metal pot etc at the bottom. It kinda gets a little annoying and uncomfy.

Lee - PICS or GTFO :D I would love to see what a Clear that cost £100 a litre flows out like. Because thats just ****ing stupid money lol.

novasrikev
09-03-10, 09:08 PM
[quote=lee-loon]Like rexy said ive used cheap paint and it's gone on good but then again I've used cheap paint and it's gone on ****e and doesn't hold it's gloss,

Mipa is a good budget paint and the 2k high build is good also, as for the gun don't buy a cheap replica they are ****e,devilbiss do a gun called the finish line for about £85 and it's just as good as a gti,I use sata for base and clear and a gti for direct gloss,

The devilbiss finish line is fecking top for a cheap gun as long as you keep the 1.4 fluid tip on!

they are mint for primer i use mine every day a spot on cheap gun:thumb:

Rexy
09-03-10, 09:16 PM
Im using a GTI converted to 1.8 for primer lol :D, even the older GTIs can be picked up for pennies these days tbh.

djbrowney
09-03-10, 09:21 PM
i bought the paint today, only bough the cheap stuff but will have to see how it goes. still having trouble with the ****ing stone chip reacting on the bottom of the car :( :( :(

Rexy
09-03-10, 09:23 PM
what stone chip are you useing?

Waterbased stuff is mega for this kinda stuff.

lee-loon
09-03-10, 09:33 PM
Rexy do you use ICI/NEXA? Can't remember the number, we used to use 6680 then 6690 now it's 6659 I think,it's a good clear but it tends to nip up after a bake unless you bake it at 70 for 30mins,that's cheap compared to the ceramic clear we use on mercs!

I'll get a picture of the price on the system if I can.

lee-loon
09-03-10, 09:34 PM
I bet it's the rattle can stone chip!

lee-loon
09-03-10, 09:36 PM
Im using a GTI converted to 1.8 for primer lol :D, even the older GTIs can be picked up for pennies these days tbh.
I'm tempted on a new PRI pro with a 1.8 tip,£150 new!

Rexy
09-03-10, 09:44 PM
BARGIN matey....

BUY IT, i got offered a GTI pro for £200 once, I didnt have any spare cash :(

We use lesonal/akzo stuff matey / probase solvant. The clear is Hi-tech hs and valspar stuff. We do mainly sales cars/pitch cars and Some seriously smashed up stuff. not insurance approved tho.

djbrowney
09-03-10, 09:47 PM
well bit of a **** up on my part mainly for lack of experince. gravetex black stone chip. 6 weeks ago layed the first coat on, went on good but not a very good covering so next night gave it another coat and it reacted like ****. cracked nearley every were, but dosnt peel off just carcked. asked in my local paint shop and the said leave it 4 weeks and give it another coat.

so left it 6 weeks until tonight, gave it another coat and its done exaclty the same. wtf :cry:

lee-loon
09-03-10, 09:50 PM
That's the difference with us, every thing is insurance and warrenty so every thing needs to be compliant and jag/land rover approved, mercs have to be ceramic clear (you only have 2 hour from the end of the bake to get it polished)

The PRI is from brown brothers if you use them.

Rexy
09-03-10, 09:50 PM
ha ha ha ha WTF 4 weeks drying time... lol'z

Do you have a compressor and a shultz gun? Get some Sikkons waterbased stone guard or even the stuff from wurth and a heat gun its £20 a tub.

Thinners all that other ****e off and start again.

lee-loon
09-03-10, 09:52 PM
Take it all off,your paint shop Is talking ****e,thinners it all off and put it on again.

Rexy
09-03-10, 09:52 PM
Thats some hard core shizzle, I would love to work in a place like that, but i dont have the bits of paper saying i can. So i stick to smaller bodyshops and graft twice as hard for less money lol.

and also have to put up with cheap ****e all the time, and minimal amounts of paints etc been told a few times the way i work i could pretty much double my wage on bonus lol.

lee-loon
09-03-10, 09:57 PM
Rather work in a small 'back street' body shop if the money was hood enough, the targets we have to hit are stupid, my target is 20 cars a day to paint! WTF!

Rexy
09-03-10, 10:00 PM
**** me, What you on a week after the robbin cunts get ya dude? If u dont mine me asking.

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:03 PM
they said to leave it so long beacuse it dosnt go of very quick and its full of thinners and shouldnt be layed on dry/wet tossers. there is no way it come off with thinners it got 4 layers on it and its the whole bottom of the car. every last knock and crany **** that for a game of soldgers lol

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:06 PM
£10.50 per hour, I have to sell 50hours per week and I work 40!take home £1400 per month ( we get paid for 173hours every month so every month is the same )

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:08 PM
Try putting a sealer over it, stops any reaction.

Rexy
09-03-10, 10:09 PM
Mr brown - Your going to fully paint the car. it seems pointless to cut corners like that matey.

Seats and i'll come and do it for ya :P

Rexy
09-03-10, 10:10 PM
Your on the same as me lee, and I well... lol dont paint 20 cars a day ha ha ha.

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:15 PM
That sounds wrong at any one time 2 people paint 'our' target is 20 per day,but that can be 20 bumpers or 20 repaints depends what the job is in for,

**** money for what we do thow isn't it?

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:17 PM
how ever much thinners is it gonna take to get it off, why has it reacted ???

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:20 PM
Buy a gallon of standard thinner/gunwash for about £7,

probably the solvent in the stone guard and the old paint didn't get on with each other!

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:21 PM
there isnt any old paint on the bottom of the car lol lol lol

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:23 PM
What is under the stone guard?

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:23 PM
the ****ty rubber stuff lol

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:24 PM
the first layer was fine though ???

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:26 PM
Mr brown - Your going to fully paint the car. it seems pointless to cut corners like that matey.

Seats and i'll come and do it for ya :P

im sick of paying people to **** things up for me, i want a go at doing it my self lol lol lol

Rexy
09-03-10, 10:30 PM
Prft, you know i wouldnt **** it up for you ;

U need my phone number give me a shout.

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:33 PM
That's why then, what you have done is added stone guard and the solvent has reacted with the solvent in the first coat of stone gaurd, this can happen if you apply more paint ontop of paint that has not fully dried,it's at a inbertween stage of going off! This hapened to me other week with 2k clear I added another coat to 'flood' fish eyes after a 15 minute bake but it is very rare!

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:34 PM
That's why then, what you have done is added stone guard and the solvent has reacted with the solvent in the first coat of stone gaurd, this can happen if you apply more paint ontop of paint that has not fully dried,it's at a inbertween stage of going off! This hapened to me other week with 2k clear I added another coat to 'flood' fish eyes after a 15 minute bake but it is very rare!

and this is why my paint places told me to let it go of so long lol

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:36 PM
4weeks thow! what you using?

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:38 PM
this stuff

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TETROSYL-BLACK-STONE-CHIP-1LTR-FOR-USE-WITH-SHUTZ-GUN_W0QQitemZ360207773490QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_3?hash=item53de0e6f32

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:39 PM
What make?

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:41 PM
its in the link above mate ^

lee-loon
09-03-10, 10:41 PM
Does it feel oily?

djbrowney
09-03-10, 10:44 PM
**** no mate lol