PDA

View Full Version : MOT query.

Tony M
05-03-10, 12:26 PM
Ive got my MOT tomorrow and the car has no tax and no MOT but i have traders insurance. Am i legal to drive the car to the MOT station or not?

burgo
05-03-10, 12:36 PM
yes you are

Nova_Tek
05-03-10, 12:43 PM
Yes you can, but I'd personally, as an extra precaution, make sure that the MOT station has my details at hand and that I'm officially booked in. Just to cover all bases ;) 'tis what I normally do.

L33 LEG
05-03-10, 02:51 PM
Yes it's fine. How else do they expect you to get there?

burgo
05-03-10, 03:09 PM
im sure though if it fails your not allowed to drive it home again

L33 LEG
05-03-10, 03:10 PM
I don't see why not? I bet 99% off us on here won't let a garage do work on the car. Aslong as you tell the garage you plan to do the work yourself then it's fine. I have never been asked to keep my car there and will never expect to.

Adam
05-03-10, 03:14 PM
I drove mine there and back

Pretty sure it says on the mot cert/fail sheet that you can drive To and From a place of repair/mot test station

Ben
05-03-10, 03:16 PM
Yes because you can take your car from the mot station to another garage for repair.

Tony M
05-03-10, 03:46 PM
I didn't know if the wheels were allowed to touch the road or not regarding no tax etc.

L33 LEG
05-03-10, 03:56 PM
You need an mot to tax the car so you obviously need to be able to drive there without tax Lol.

Ben
05-03-10, 04:33 PM
as others have said just make sure they have your full name etc on the booking, not just "john 9:45".

Tony M
06-03-10, 12:38 AM
You need an mot to tax the car so you obviously need to be able to drive there without tax Lol. Trailer? Tow by someone on trade insurance with a solid bar? Thank you for the help anyway guys.

L33 LEG
06-03-10, 12:39 AM
Do they expect everybody to tow cars now? That'l be a bit silly really.

Anyway, the simple answer is that yes, you can drive to the mot with your insurance and no tax :)

Dave.
06-03-10, 01:00 AM
We drove my corsa to the MOT centre the other day, no tax, no mot, not on the MIDB (Motor insurance database), and a police car sat behind us for a good few miles, then turned off, no pull or anything :thumb:

Adam
06-03-10, 11:15 AM
Well, he wouldnt pull you unless he ran a check on your reg......

Dave.
06-03-10, 11:18 AM
Well, he wouldnt pull you unless he ran a check on your reg......

All the traffic cars in Merseyside are equipped with ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) because theirs so many uninsured drivers round here lol, so chances are it wouldve defonatley popped up on his screen

Adam
06-03-10, 11:23 AM
If that was the case he would of DEFINENTLY pulled you.....

L33 LEG
06-03-10, 11:31 AM
That's what i was thinking. I have driven cars without them being on the database and if and when i had a cop behind me they would call for back up and block me in lol

Dave.
06-03-10, 11:36 AM
If that was the case he would of DEFINENTLY pulled you.....

Thing is, our name is very well known to the police (in a good way i should add) were the local recovery garage for stolen, no insurance drivers etc etc, basically we work for the police, and all the bobbys know us. So chances are hes rna it through the computer, its come abck as being registered to work's address with our surname, and hes just left us alone

To be fair, their not the most bothered police force, when we had the unit torched, they came for a day to make sure noone came back to set fire to it again, then they buggered off lol