PDA

View Full Version : An alternative route?

Sola
05-03-10, 12:12 AM
Hello all,

A newbie here. Had a Nova Sola for enough years for it to be part of the family now. After being stored for a number of years I had it restored to hopefully preserve it for a few more years.

Here's the rub, I was determined tokeep the mechanicals original - stock 1200, and go for the OEM+ look, ie. Polished parts and detailed engine bay, brakes etc. However, having driven her around I have found that I may of got too used to my daily hack with its power steering etc.

My question is this; Has anyone carried out an engine transplant with say a 1400 lump, BUT included power steering? I'm not looking for a quick car, just an older one that's been suitably updated. Also, I don't want it off th eroad for too long carrying out the swap.

An XE swap is tempting though...

Answers on a postcard....

blue_peg_16v
05-03-10, 12:19 AM
1.4 is a staight swap and if your any good with spanners will be in in a weekend at the most will also look very similar to the 1.2 so will keep the oem look as for power stearing loads of people have used power steering off a corsa on the nova altho if its on standard tyres the stearing shouldnt be heavey on a nova anyway

the corsa system is electric so not a bad conversion

welcome to the site too by the way

AlexW
05-03-10, 01:07 AM
Welcome to PNG.
Straight to the point.
Theres two options, Fluid PAS (Most common), Or EPAS, which is a Electrical Column.

Il start with the fluid PAS, You would use a corsa rack, but you would need to get the arms shortened, (bit of a pain and could be expensive as they need to be cut and welded idealy). And then eather run the mechanical pump off the alternator belt, or as most people chose, a Electronic Pump from a Saxo/106/Clio, would require custom pipes. Total cost could be about £200.

EPAS on the other hand should be easier. Column needs to be from a late B, might be hard to find!, Would set you back about £100. £30 (iirc) for the controller, bit of welding behind the dash and a lot of pain to do it all, but get the dash out etc, wouldn't be too hard!

Where abouts in essex are you? If your local id love to lend a hand, never seen a nova sola in person.