PDA

View Full Version : Wheel offset.

Nova-Boy
13-04-03, 08:17 PM
Had my allys off yesterday to paint my hubs and play with my arches and I noticed that they were ET38.

Does this mean that they will stick out into the arch more or into the rear shock more? Mine are very close to both but i still needed my arches doing with 195 tyres!!

ade
13-04-03, 08:27 PM
I hate these questions - always get them back to front.

If I remember correctly, the lower the number the further out they stick out!

:?

I think...

Nova-Boy
13-04-03, 09:49 PM
I am not sure? If they were 7 mm further inwards then they WOULD hit my sock. It wasn't far off with the arches only scuffed a tidge. So with ET 45 your arches would need more work or they would hit your shock? Dont get it?

Aragorn
13-04-03, 09:52 PM
they will stick out more - 11mm more infact than a set of ET49 alloys in the same size as yours...

and will *supposedly* give a whole range of issues from munching bearings to tramlining to making the steering feel like your driving a bus

quite frankly the only difference ive noticed with my 6.5x15 et38 alloys is a slight increase in tramlining

they clear the inner arches now - the old ET49's used to scuff with 195 tires

and the have plenty of room at the rear outer arch too with my 40mm drop

the fronts are different - if the front of the car went low enough that the wheel was to attempt to enter the arch im sure there would be some nasty goings on - but the front is so bone jarringly hard i doubt that will ever happen - and ive hit a few fuckoff potholes at 70mph on the motorway and its never affected anythin so im quite happy (wehter the MOT tester will be is a different story :D

ade
13-04-03, 10:02 PM
found wot I was looking for - Festers detailed description of the offset guide -

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=409

If that dont help nowt will

Ade

mikeoxford
14-04-03, 12:15 AM
depending on the amount of material on your wheels, you can have them machined and material removed from the inside hub mating face so that it increases the offset

Nova-Boy
14-04-03, 01:50 PM
Well that pics explains a lot but if you increase the offset say from 38 (on my car) to 45 (vauxhall standard) then the wheel would be 7mm more into the arch, which when i measured WOULD hit the shock but would be clear of the outer arch. So it is easier to do the outer arch tha the inner shock for wheels to fit so my wheels now fit with a little arch work.

Freak
14-04-03, 05:57 PM
yes - do you have 7" wide rims...that would be what hits the shock if you were 7 mm further in.

I had 42mm offset with 195 tyres- but on a 6 or 6.5" wide rim.
No problems.

lower offset=wider track.
Not a bad thing at all- mine stuck to the road like shit on a blanket.

Nova-Boy
14-04-03, 06:25 PM
I dont know what size rims i have. Can you find out from the numbers and stuff on the inside of the wheel? I will have a look next time they are off. Not even sure what make they are? Onzo? Think thats what they said? It was only saturday i looked as well! :oops:

scott5
14-04-03, 08:05 PM
a 45mm offset wheel wouldnt hit your damper because vauxhall use 49mm as standard so a 45mm would be 2mm further away from the damper. i've got 17s in a 45mm offset on mine with a 60mm drop and mine dont touch the damper.