PDA

View Full Version : a question for all the painters

connor c
03-03-10, 10:16 PM
its a silly question i know:roll: and i should of done my research first
anyway can you flat and buff flame red with no laquer as mine didnt turn out right and this what im blaminglol +rep for an answer:thumb:

connor

let_nova
03-03-10, 10:18 PM
yes may not last long with a shine though.

Nova_Tek
03-03-10, 10:18 PM
If it's a solid colour then yes you can.

connor c
03-03-10, 10:21 PM
shet i done something wrong then:(
its 2k paint and flatted it with 2000 wet and dry. then used g3 and the paint is still faded though,maybe i didnt sand it enough:(
any ideas

connor

Nova_Tek
03-03-10, 10:24 PM
IIRC the new paints are now waterbased and I have been told by a couple pepole I know who are painters that even colours that are solid now get laquered too.

Benn
03-03-10, 10:25 PM
Yes you can flat and polish up direct gloss paint.

Why are you flatting faded paint? All it needs is buffing back up...

Benn
03-03-10, 10:26 PM
IIRC the new paints are now waterbased and I have been told by a couple pepole I know who are painters that even colours that are solid now get laquered too.

Yes everything gets 2k lacquer over the top... Making the whole thing point less.

Nova_Tek
03-03-10, 10:28 PM
Yeah was kinda surprised. We were talking about getting my Dads MK3 Cav painted and it's mexico red which is solid. The guy was saying that it mattered not about what finish as it made no difference, yhey all get laquered.

Not like back in the day when solid colours were slightly cheaper to paint.

connor c
03-03-10, 10:33 PM
Yes you can flat and polish up direct gloss paint.

Why are you flatting faded paint? All it needs is buffing back up...

iv painted it then flatted it
might have a go tomorrow again, i painted it at halloween (was my first full car) attempted buffing the bonnet made a balls of it and left it alonelol but was told now that the paint would be too hard :confused: im proper confused at what happened

connor

Nova_Tek
03-03-10, 10:35 PM
Did you use enough water when buffing the paintwork after flatting? If you didn't then you probably burnt the paint so to speak.

dave watson
03-03-10, 10:36 PM
i would use lacker and also make sure it isnt freezing cold as its best to paint in the warm

connor c
03-03-10, 10:36 PM
yeah loads but the woolen head was well used and not that soft

connor

puntogtbax
04-03-10, 12:13 AM
alright you can still get solid paint from most supplyers they only wanted to sell me waterbased paint and it was for an old transit it would have cos a fortune they still have it in stock u just have to ask for it

connor c
04-03-10, 12:29 AM
yeah waterbased is shet imo

Nova-rich
04-03-10, 12:34 AM
Get normal acryilc 2-pack you can still get it from some paint suppliers they just ask you to sign a disclaimer saying that its not for use on cars.

Benn
04-03-10, 08:11 AM
Wont have gone/dried to hard.

Tbh 2000grit isn't really enough to remove orange peel. Use 1500 nice and wet.

You'll need a mop really to buff the paint back up to life, and i'd use a foam compounding head, them wool ones i think are shi*e.

DAN-F
04-03-10, 12:15 PM
he said hes painted it in 2k, 2k isnt water based base coat, 2k can just be mopped, use a foam head instead of the woolen one

connor c
04-03-10, 04:23 PM
i tried it today and used 2000 as i had it but sanded it well down this time but i was out of g3 so just used some stuff that was lying around,2 coats of tcut,a cost of autoglym super resin polish, turtlewax, and a simonz wax.
i used one of them cheap polisher things with one speed setting
it came up alright but shall try again when i get some g3.
also it had a foam head

connor

Benn
04-03-10, 08:27 PM
T-cut and the others wont do funk all. You need a proper compound.

de-slotted
04-03-10, 08:51 PM
iv painted it then flatted it
might have a go tomorrow again, i painted it at halloween (was my first full car) attempted buffing the bonnet made a balls of it and left it alonelol but was told now that the paint would be too hard :confused: im proper confused at what happened

connor
U need 3000 wet & dry to flat it & then cutting called Finesse-it 3M 09639 compound which also acts as a polish.Be warned!! this stuff will cut straight through to the primer if polished to hard with a air or electric polisher..Been helping my cousin out @ the weekends he paints American Muscle more than anything else. I've given you an example of a 68 Dodge Charger He's doing now + a phot of the compound he uses.I'm working on a 68 Firebird @ the moment.http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/de-slotted/Dodge%20Charger/

connor c
04-03-10, 09:06 PM
i found some g3 in the garage at home is there any more compounds that i coulds use for next time

vaughanmc
04-03-10, 09:11 PM
G6 is a wee bit rougher than G3 mate, I'd maybe try that

As Benn said, use some 1500 paper to take the paint surface down a wee bit quicker then some G6 on a mop

Make sure and keep the surface wet :)

Rexy
04-03-10, 09:30 PM
Awaits the "why can i see primer" post.

lol Have funn buffin it up dude.

3m Finnesse isnt exaclty harsh either unless your thinking of the green top 3m fast cut plus stuff ;)

de-slotted
04-03-10, 09:49 PM

3m Finnesse isnt exaclty harsh either unless your thinking of the green top 3m fast cut plus stuff ;)

Well it ends up like this Mustang dude:d Rubbish http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/de-slotted/Dodge%20Charger/

Benn
04-03-10, 09:54 PM

lol we've all seen it/done it.

Fastcut rocks for being up old paint. Use it all the time

Well it ends up like this Mustang dude:d Rubbish http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/de-slotted/Dodge%20Charger/

That looks stunning.

de-slotted
04-03-10, 10:03 PM
lol
lol we've all seen it/done it.

Fastcut rocks for being up old paint. Use it all the time

That looks stunning.
suppose it helps if u know what your doing:d He doesnt know it yet but he's painting the Nova Salloooon in RS Focus Green in the summer lol lol lol

Benn
04-03-10, 10:04 PM
Didn't see your post a page back, 3000 grit? Would take ages to get orange peel out with that..

de-slotted
04-03-10, 10:21 PM
Didn't see your post a page back, 3000 grit? Would take ages to get orange peel out with that..
Suppose it depends on how good a painter u r M8.He only ever uses 2000/3000 grit after laquer its 3000 the polishing does the rest.Suppose if its orange peel then you'll have to go to 1500 or lower & then increase.I'm up there @ the weekend i'll ask him exactly what the stages are & post back :thumb:

Benn
04-03-10, 10:35 PM
That's very true, guessing the pics of it black it hasn't been flatted and polished.

I like an ultra smooth finish/look so i flat mine right down.

de-slotted
05-03-10, 03:43 PM
No the charger has'nt been touched yet cutting & polish wise. Wings are being done @ the moment.It's like painting a bus as it's over 16ft in length:eek:

Benn
05-03-10, 07:03 PM
That's hooooj.

puntogtbax
05-03-10, 09:35 PM
best thing to get rid of orange peel is 3m p1500 on an orbital sander

puntogtbax
05-03-10, 09:37 PM
i know the feeling about paintin busses iv painted a few coaches not nice on ur own