PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen wipers/electrical problem......help!!!!

Matt_E
13-04-03, 03:48 PM
Need some help urgently - when I use my windscreen wipers (just the one touch for one wipe) the engine seems to die a little bit and the red engine light comes on. This happens when stationery and when the car is running.

Any ideas what this can be??

Chris LR
13-04-03, 07:07 PM
I'd have a wild stab at an earth fault.

I presume it's just the intermediate wipe that causes this???
What Model, Year, Engine is your car?

ade
13-04-03, 08:24 PM
check the connector block on the winder motor (on passenger side bulkhead just above the break cylinder).

Also - check that your knee hasnt knocked the relay - they stick out at funny angles under the drivers right knee.

I knocked mine once and it fell out!

Matt_E
13-04-03, 09:10 PM
Its a 1.2 Merit Plus 1992 - I bought it last week as a second car as my Lotus Elise was racking up too many miles.

I'll check the relays tomorrow.

Aragorn
13-04-03, 09:56 PM
what u now need to do is mod the nova till it out accellerates and out handles the elise

then sell the elise :P

scott5
14-04-03, 11:10 PM
could also be that the engine idle speed is too low, adjust the speed so that it runs a little bit faster at idle and see if it still does it.

my idle speed is set at about 1200rmp cos when the bass kicks in on the stereo the engine stalls if its any lower!!

Nova-Boy
15-04-03, 02:31 PM
My engine used to stutter and drop about 200 rpm when i had my lights on with my rear heated window at the same time! It was just at that resonant rev where the dashboard nearly rattled itself loose!!