PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad & Disc Combination

mikeoxford
13-04-03, 12:52 AM
OK

alloys arrive soon - THANK GOD - so 16v brakes can FINALLY go on.

discs and pads?

suggestions please...............

i want grooved disks - probly NOT drilled (as ive been told by two independant people they dissipate heat too fgast and warp disks easily - ollster being one and next door neighbour the second works at car spares), and some pads.

price, and company will do fine :D

dont want to spend TOO much cos for ?200 some geezer bought complete V6 kit so i may as well get that !!!

cheers
mike

Aragorn
13-04-03, 12:55 AM
:/

i just lobbed on some brakeworld disks at ?27 a pop and some brakeworld pads at ?25 a set plus ?5 for the fitting kit (springs)

they work fine but the rest of the braking system is junk so its hard to tell

u mang the pedal hard it stops fast

but its soft as fuck and really spongy

i think ive got a leak too since its always losing fluid :evil:

mikeoxford
13-04-03, 12:59 AM
also :oops: what do i have to ask for? as there obviously not off a nova, what year and model car shall i say?

the calipers are as they were advertised:
16v Astra front brakes (256mm diameter x 24mm wide).

mark_GSi
13-04-03, 11:57 AM
i know this is a V werid combo but ive got these on me nova

2.0ltr 16v CAV (n reg ecotec) calipers and carriers (pads 2)

2.0ltr 16v discs Astra mk2 (ne year, all the same, just ask for 1990 :) )

job dun, all bolts 2gether, stops on a PIN!!!!! 8) 8) :D

hope this helps, just make sure u get the right pads, thats very important, most 16v siscs are the same (i think) :)

mikeoxford
14-04-03, 12:23 AM
im looking at tarox disks and either standrd or green stuff pads? what does anyone reckon?

Dan
14-04-03, 05:57 AM
i run the tarox/greenstuff combo. seem ok on mine, we have had the greenstuff pads smoking a good un in the past after a good hammering so they defo work well together lol

Ben (lurk75)
14-04-03, 09:59 AM
I have been running drilled and grooved for nearly 2 years and find them 100% imrpovment on solid discs. Solid discs warp due to the heat whereas the drilled ones let the heat escape rather than sit on the disc and build up. Also they look sweet.

Although i am going for the same kit as Techie when it comes to it, they look great.

rgv_stu
14-04-03, 10:17 AM
i got red dot grooved discs - cost about ?30 on offer at halfords
vauxhall pads - cost about ?10 on tradeclub

seem to stop well enuf for me

Aragorn
14-04-03, 06:15 PM
u want Astra/Cavvy 256x24mm disks they are all the same

as for the pads - again astra/cavvy but tell em its a 2litre 16v make up a year after 1989 they should all be the same anyway

scott5
14-04-03, 08:14 PM
I've got standard astra gsi stuff on mine straight from vauxhall, had turbogroove discs and greenstuf pads before i fitted the astra stuff and its still a million times better now even though its standard vauxhall stuff. when i get some new pads i'm going to get greenstuff just because they make less dust, i dont need more stopping power, the standard pads are more than adequate.

mikeoxford
14-04-03, 11:28 PM
ill let you all know how it goes, thanks for your replies

NovaNeil
15-04-03, 12:20 PM
I had Pagid 16 groove discs (?120) and Vaux Pads which was good, but now i've put Pagid fast road pads (?40) on as well and although the initial bite is still the same theres a lot less brake fade when they get hot or your slowing down from over 100mph. But below about 70mph theres no difference.

Jim
15-04-03, 12:55 PM
What alloys are you getting Mike?

Jim

Nova-Boy
15-04-03, 02:27 PM
What brakes can you get to fit on the front of a Nova. Like people may know my birds mam has got a written off 1991 Astra SXI. Will these fit?

mikeoxford
15-04-03, 02:41 PM
What alloys are you getting Mike?

Jim

17" antrachite.

unsure of the name.

ill post up some pics when there on.

think theyre similar to breenys 18s - if you remember them?