PDA

View Full Version : advance and retard

vauxluva
27-02-10, 08:17 PM
a guy that i no realy well ajusted my dizzy on my 1.4 sr it revs its knackers off now,is this bad for my lump,he deals with ford cvh,s he is running a mk2fezzie xr2 zvh on carbs ect ect,any help would be apriciated:confused:

Southie
27-02-10, 08:20 PM
If he knows what he's doing with timing then you should be alright. What are you revving too?

vauxluva
27-02-10, 08:23 PM
its not me doing the lead foot but it goes off the redline...i mean off the point of no return ,all he keeps saying is my carb is a peice off poo?hope he aint no vaux hater,,,oj

Southie
27-02-10, 08:42 PM
Well I recommend getting some ARP bottom end bolts if revving that high or it will go bang. Also don't rev too high too often or you probably break a follower.

stevie-p
27-02-10, 09:00 PM
mine goes well into the red n.p but again BANG if held for too long

mowgli
27-02-10, 09:05 PM
basically, its a carb engine, so unless you fit a rev limiter, it will rev till it explodes, or runs out of juice..

and if he can keep a pile of shyte like a cvh together, then he is safe to work on novas

Jon_nova1
28-02-10, 12:53 AM
so you mean you start it up then it redlines straight away? or it revs to redline quicker?

what does it idle at?

MK999
28-02-10, 01:08 AM
My guess is before it was looked at the timing was so crap it lacked the power to rev beyond a certain point, whereas now it acts as it should being a carb engine and revs as far as you can hold your foot down until it goes bang. The solution is to change gear.

_JH_
28-02-10, 01:37 AM
if he can keep a pile of shyte like a cvh together, then he is safe to work on novas

lol

craig green
28-02-10, 02:56 AM
Assuming its a std SR or whatever, the cam will dictate what it revs to. As said there is no eclectronic limiter as such, but valve bounce sounds 'wrong', so if it is still pulling (ie revs rising) I say keep going. The old 8v's dont have a great reputation for nothing.

Get it on the rollers to really know how it goes (power @ wheels).

vauxluva
28-02-10, 08:15 AM
:thumb:
My guess is before it was looked at the timing was so crap it lacked the power to rev beyond a certain point, whereas now it acts as it should being a carb engine and revs as far as you can hold your foot down until it goes bang. The solution is to change gear.,:p lol bang on the money, and no it gets a nice long warm up before any thing,but id did rev but just didnt, want to if that makes sense it nows revs free and loads quiker:thumb: solong as it wont hurt my lump im happy cheers for thi input as per chaps:d

jimbob-mcgrew
28-02-10, 12:52 PM
whats the temp. gauge sit at on average ?
ive noticed on mine, advancing the timing a tad helps out alot, but the engine tends to run that bit hotter, ive found a nice balance where it sits just over a quarter temp majority of the time.

Jack
28-02-10, 01:32 PM
The solution is to change gear.
Ding lol

Get it on a RR and find out where peak power is. No point revving to 8000rpm if peak is at 7000

vauxluva
02-03-10, 07:22 PM
Thats what i have been told to do, but how much is a roling road sesh cost cheers,and it seems to hold its own on the temp side?

jimbob-mcgrew
03-03-10, 02:37 AM
rr is about £80/90 from what ive heard, area and post-tweaking depending.

unless its for competition use or your made of money i wouldnt bother myself.

changing gear at 6 grand or less should minimize chances of the engine going bang. :thumb:

make sure its got oil and stuff in it too lol