PDA

View Full Version : Corsa B 1.2 16v bent valves? (X12XE)

Lee H
26-02-10, 09:55 PM
Missus went to start her car for work Monday morning (was fine when parked up Sunday night) and it fired up sounding like it was on three cylinders and then cut out.

Managed to restart it and engine was making major rattling noise from the top end and wouldn't idle at all. Sounds like there is a compression problem when its cranking over as well. Took the plugs out and the end of plug three was missing its centre electrode and the insulator was loose.

I'm guessing the engine has bent valves for whatever reason and the valve has hit the plug and wiped it out maybe but puzzled as to what could have caused it from starting the car up? Engine has only done 55k miles btw.

How hard is it to set the timing chain on one of these engines as i'm pretty sure the head is going to have to come off?

Any help or advice appreciated.

comptoncj
26-02-10, 10:00 PM
With the timing kit from vauxhall its quite easy chap, they suffer from tensioner problems and jump teeth on the timing. ive done a few timing chains on them they're a ball ache without the kit as they have a cam sensor on the inlet cam IIRC and it needs to be locked in a certain place or it will throw the EML up when its been put back together.

craig green
26-02-10, 10:11 PM
Hence why these are often FS cheap with knackered engines.

Shoulda put it in gear & rolled it back & forth & look for the cams to move or not.

Mike
26-02-10, 10:19 PM
Shoulda put it in gear & rolled it back & forth & look for the cams to move or not.

Rachet on cam pully an you can feel if its locked or not aswell.

Lee H
26-02-10, 10:32 PM
It can't be locked though can it as it will still start and run, albeit very badly?

mowgli
26-02-10, 10:34 PM
try new plugs first......

Lee H
26-02-10, 10:36 PM
I tried some plugs and it ran on 4 again for a few seconds but sounded like someone had dropped a bag of bolts in the engine and then cut out again.

craig green
26-02-10, 10:39 PM
Lift the head.

mowgli
26-02-10, 10:39 PM
ok, i'm now thinking that is is an ecu problem or lambda sensor etc..

if the cam timing was out then it wouldn't run at all.

is the ecu light flashing??

Lee H
26-02-10, 10:41 PM
ECU light goes out when its running. That bit of spark plug is going to be bouncing round the chamber though and no doubt doing damage.

Lee H
26-02-10, 10:42 PM
Lift the head.

That bit doesn't worry me, the timing chain scares me to death :cry:

AlexW
26-02-10, 11:07 PM
Replied over on CS, Your be best of replacing the chain which i didnt say about.

Get a haynes :)

John
26-02-10, 11:09 PM
Timing chain is easy Lee, i'll guess it's jumped a couple if teeth on the inlet side.

AlanH
27-02-10, 01:22 AM
full engine here mate, ran perfect £50, need it moved

jimbob-mcgrew
27-02-10, 03:05 AM
x12xe alan ?

be interested to see the condition of the bore/valves and that piece of plug if u could get a coupla pics once pulled apart lee :thumb:

Lee H
27-02-10, 08:24 PM
Did a compression test and got 170, 170, 130, 170. Decided to take the head off and the valves aren't bent but the piston and head have took a bit of a battering.

Think compression is a bit low as the valve seats look to have taken a bit of the damage as well so valves may not be seating right.

New engine time I think. Wish you were closer Alan.

Will try and get some pics tomorrow. Piece of plug has gone though.

Riggy
27-02-10, 08:53 PM
xe it for her lee , :) you know sam wont mind

Adam
27-02-10, 08:54 PM
lol
Just what i was going suggest /\

Keep an eye out on CS Lee, you might come across a cheap/free engine if someones doing a conversion or something....

Lee H
27-02-10, 08:58 PM
Already offered to put my XE in it and get a LET for mine but she isn't up for that idea. XE is easier to work on than that POS small block thing in it.

Someone has offered me a 1.2 for £200 on Mig, if I was spending that i'd at least buy a 16XE FFS.

Adam
27-02-10, 09:00 PM
How bads the damage?
If the valves aint bent, have the seats re-cut and re-lap the valves and stick it back together?

Lee H
27-02-10, 09:04 PM
Its not that bad really but the cost of the gaskets, bolts and tools to time it back up hardly seems worth the effort, changing the engine would be easier.

mowgli
27-02-10, 09:07 PM
getting a pallet courier to get the engine from co. durham suddenly looks like a deal