PDA

View Full Version : Help! Tigra Alternator Removal 1.6 16V

Royston
26-02-10, 04:59 PM
I know its not a Nova , but it is relatedlol

I need to remove the alternator as the bearings are shot:( but it seems to be well burried behind the inlet maniifold and the RH chassis leg/inner wing:wtf:

I assume it needs to be removed from below as there is no room to take it out from the top without removing the inlet manifold:mad:

Can anyone confirm if I will need to remove alternator mounting bracket and possibly the RH driveshaft/supension to get it out? :confused:

Has anyone had the pleasure

Thanks in advance ;)

AlexW
26-02-10, 05:07 PM
Haha someone else who owns a tigra.

You should be able to get it out from underneath, but it depends on the inlet pipe design (Some go around the bottom of the alt), You may find its worth removing the black pipe i say about.

Unfortunately its a pain to get to anything as you know, your best of just unbolting things and going as it comes.

You will need to remove it via the underside, should be fine to get around the shaft etc. Alt bracket may be tight, but should be alright to leave it on the block if it has aircon/pas so the belt isnt tensioned via a tensioner mounted on the alt bracket.

Royston
26-02-10, 05:11 PM
Yes that black pipe is a pain:mad:

Just hoping there is sufficient clearance to get it past the driveshaft, it looks tight, hence the questionlol

Car belongs to my cousins wife, bit annoying as it only has @54k on it:roll:

AlexW
26-02-10, 05:21 PM
lol Just checked the haynes, reckons you need to unbolt the shaft from the hub, Must be tigher than i was thinking!

Apart from that it says about the 3 bolts you need to undo to get the top bracket off, and from when i did the head gasket i know one or two of them are damm hard to get to!

Other than that it says about removing the crank shaft sensor!

Glad i aint got to do mine!

Royston
26-02-10, 05:53 PM
lol Just checked the haynes, reckons you need to unbolt the shaft from the hub, Must be tigher than i was thinking!

Apart from that it says about the 3 bolts you need to undo to get the top bracket off, and from when i did the head gasket i know one or two of them are damm hard to get to!

Other than that it says about removing the crank shaft sensor!

Glad i aint got to do mine!

Err thanks, I'll look forward to doing it soonlol

Thanks for the information:thumb:

AlexW
26-02-10, 06:12 PM
Good luck lol

Royston
14-03-10, 07:33 AM
Finally got round to removing the alternator:)

Wasn't too bad, but a little tight getting the alternator out.

Car on Ramp, removed belt and top alternator bolt

Moved balck emissions pipe out of the way

Took alternator mounting bracket bolts out, dropped alternator and removed bracket.

Disconnected exhaust from down pipe.

removed rear engine mounting bolt, dropped engine down.

Just enough space to fiddle the alternator out.

I'm sure putting it back on will be as much funlol

Hopefullty this will help someone else;)