PDA

View Full Version : fitting door speakers in place of window winders.

burgessovsalford
11-04-03, 04:26 PM
Im fitting elecy windows at the weekend & was going to put a set of "6 round speakers in place of where the window winders used to go.

Anyone done this? Is there anuff space to do this or will they not fit?

burgessovsalford
11-04-03, 04:33 PM
you reckon this should be in ICE? :?

ade
11-04-03, 07:54 PM
ref section - bit of both really.

It depends on how deep the speakers are.

Wot ever you do DONT cut the frame away from the doors!

I wouldnt put them in the doors personally as they wont be that good (vibrations etc).

If youre gonna use doors Id recommend building pods. Thats gonna take a little longer granted but the sound wuality is so much better.

Ade

ZuG
11-04-03, 08:15 PM
if you do put them in the doors get some sound deadening for the doors to stop the rattles.

ZuG
11-04-03, 08:16 PM
I put mine in the doors and got 5 1/4s, i think 6 1/2 might be too big.

Nova-Boy
11-04-03, 08:52 PM
They wont wind your windows down very well! :lol:

?Marty?
12-04-03, 01:18 AM
They won't fit. There's not enough depth, and the basket will foul the window.

Fit them towards the hinge side. Though you may still need spacers.

mikeoxford
13-04-03, 12:11 AM
as people say they will only go in the front of the doors where the gaps between bracing parts are wide.

soem manufacturers speakerrs are not as deep and do not require spacers, others do

Chris_W
13-04-03, 02:58 AM
If your only worried about blocking the whole where the winder was you have 3 options really:
1) Get some blanking plates, I believe some Volvos, Metro's or Maestros had them.
2) Fit some tweeters in the holes, their only about an 1" across
3) Get some new door cards/ Recover your existing ones.

Chris

Jim
13-04-03, 12:51 PM
I've fitted 6x9's in the doors of another Nova, so I'm sure with some thinking you can fit 6" speakers.

Jim

mikeoxford
14-04-03, 12:30 AM
If your only worried about blocking the whole where the winder was you have 3 options really:
1) Get some blanking plates, I believe some Volvos, Metro's or Maestros had them.
2) Fit some tweeters in the holes, their only about an 1" across
3) Get some new door cards/ Recover your existing ones.

Chris

if you go for chrises tweeter option, you will want to purchase movable ones IMO so you can point them at the audience as this is what you need to do, else there a waste

ZuG
14-04-03, 08:35 AM
where can i get these moveable tweater holders?

burgessovsalford
14-04-03, 11:20 AM
Yeah I think im going to go with the tweeter option, sounds good!

As said where can you get these from & will they be able to *bolt* into the door cards?

MC FARMER_D
14-04-03, 01:42 PM
take off the door cards, and wind the window all the way down, then put the speaker onto the window. if it fits flush with the metal frame then u will most prob be able to do it, if it sits flush with space behind it then no probs at all, iv done it too... but mine were already leccy winds an i put mine at the bottom, they dont rattle at all..

bigdee
14-04-03, 10:59 PM
just get some pods from maystar

part number G395

outer diameter is 165mm, to fit 13cm speakers

fitted them in my car the other day, still have manual windows, just put them down a bit and trimmed door pocket

Phil GTE
11-05-03, 11:14 PM
6.5" fit with winders, i had them in my old nova, you really have to squeeze them into the corner tho!

7x10" fit in to a electric window'd door, with a small amount of trimming of the door

if you worried about strength, reinfore the rear of the door

but pods look cool if your doin the whole deal

defo worth sound proofing when using big speakers in the front of the nova

Cjscooby
20-05-03, 09:14 PM
just get some pods from maystar

part number G395

outer diameter is 165mm, to fit 13cm speakers

fitted them in my car the other day, still have manual windows, just put them down a bit and trimmed door pocket

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=961

They are the pods

Cj