PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE hesitation.

dathers
11-04-03, 01:18 PM
My nova GTE (E16SE)ticks over fine,but when you put your foot down it hesitates badly and sometimes backfires through the inlet.
It also feels as though its holding back at higher revs,when cruising it randomly feels like its missing.
Ive tried the normal stuff,plugs,leads,dizzy cap,rotor arm but it still aint runnibg right.
Ive checked for ecu fault codes and there is none.
Any body any ideas as this is begining to annoy me!
I no someone else with the same problem who also cant solve it,maybe a common fault?
Any ideas?
Dave

dathers
11-04-03, 01:22 PM
It also is hard to start first thing in the morning.

Alex
11-04-03, 01:38 PM
is there anything stopping air getting into the filter?

burgessovsalford
11-04-03, 02:46 PM
Iginition timing may need adjusting...

locky
11-04-03, 04:59 PM
Lack of fuel? maybe ur pump is on its way out? or a loose connection?
U checked all the pipes for any holes? that normally causes this sort of problem! try tightening up the jubilee clips, they may be loose and drawing in air!

rysmee
11-04-03, 05:17 PM
yeah i have sort of the same problem on my gsi, which is why i've just bought a new engine so i can swap the whole lot and hopefullly no more problem!
its got gradually worse and at its worse is jumping and hesitating all over the place except on full throttle. i've checked injectors, egr valve, sparks, etc etc usual stuff, and its still doing it. i'm lucky that its not that bad all the time, and car is still pretty drivable, but it neally cut out yesterday as it hesitated when i pulled out at roundabout.. not good! its one of things that you can never pinpoint so i figure.. hey.. change everything!

ade
11-04-03, 07:26 PM
My 1.4 carbbed nova did this - just before the cam shaft pin snapped!

Could be timing (usually slow on acceleration) - juddery on take up could be slipping clutch.

Holding back could be brakes or just fuel starvation. Change fuel filter and see if that helps. get timing checked.

I'd recommend taking it to a vauxhall garage and advising them.

Also - if its under 100k, join the AA and take out their partswarranty - basically if the cars under 100k and the engine lets rip they will repair it FREE OF CHARGE!!!

:D

Aragorn
11-04-03, 11:48 PM
aye untill u read the small print - at which point they inform you that since u havent kept the car serviced at the MFR reccomended service intervals by a vauxhall dealer that the parts and service warranty is void

dathers
12-04-03, 12:03 AM
There is NO WAY im taking it to vauxhall,they charge ?56 just to diagnose it,and thats if they can diagnose it in an hour or less!!
Just after the external fuel pump there is what the haynes manual calls a fuel damper/diaphram,this is EXTREMELY rusty,i was thinking about replacing this,Is it ESENTIAL or would it run OK without it?
Im gonna try replacing the fuel filter aswell tomoz.
Any more ideas?
Dave

dathers
12-04-03, 12:06 AM
My car has FULL VAUXHALL MAIN DEALER service history to 70000miles.
Its only on 74000miles now.
Dave

rysmee
12-04-03, 01:46 AM
yeah.. i was thinking along the lines of a fuel pick up/ feed problem so maybe filter or pump? anyone shed any light on the subject?

Nova_Tek
13-04-03, 11:37 PM
OK My dads cavy did the same.

Cuts out, no power, juddering. Changed all the usual non sense like dizzy cap, leads, sparks, rotor arm air filter but still the same.

Just check that the rubber elbow that connects the airbox to the throtle body/injection isnt split (same goes for anyother rubber hoses to do with the air filter/box.

coz there is air escaping or lack of it then you get all sorts of crap happening.

if its split then wont cost more then ?25 for vaux brand new

burgessovsalford
14-04-03, 11:07 AM
Do as ade says check the timing... Mine done the same. I check everything & changed everything, and it was only a case of adjusting the timing a little bit. Its quick & easy to do, just get the haynes manual. May not be the problem but worth a try before you plan taking it to a garage.

dathers
14-04-03, 06:19 PM
Correct me if im wrong but im sure you cant alter the timing on a gte,is it not controlled by the ecu?
Dave

locky
14-04-03, 07:41 PM
Yeah u can alter it!
distributor,
camshaft pulley,
crankshaft pulley!
If u aint got the teeth lined up u could be out of time! id recommend advancing and retarding on the distributor! try advancing 1st! but only a little bit at a time! ull hear the revs pick up as u turn the distributor!!

dathers
15-04-03, 08:43 PM
Ive finally sorted it,it was a few things compounding into one big one!
1st-The EGR valve was stuck open,so was on at startup and tickover when it should have been off.
2nd-The cold start air valve was stuck shut,therefore giving no extra air to go with the extra fuel the injectors provide for a cold start,making it a pig to start.
3rd-The airflow meter to throttlebody rubber pipe had a small split underneath,Vauxhall wanted ?35+VAT,so i had a silicone hose (same as SAMCO hoses,only red) made up specially for ?20.
4th-The fuel damper just after the external fuel pump was leaking fuel,Vauxhall wanted ?34+VAT,I paid?3 from a scrappy off a cav mk3 1.8i

I also put a new fuel filter on while i was underneath.
I also advanced the timing as far as i could without it pinking while driving.

And what a difference this little lot made!!
Had a race from the lights onto a dual carriageway with a corsa gsi.
I beat him away from the lights and he didnt get past me till about 75-80mph.

Cheers for the ideas lads!!
Dave

locky
15-04-03, 10:18 PM
3rd-The airflow meter to throttlebody rubber pipe had a small split underneath,

Hard 2 believe that can cause so many probs! its coz its after the airflow meter, and the ecu is unable 2 procss the airflow!(something along those lines)!
Nice 2 hear u solved the prob!

dathers
16-04-03, 01:42 AM
The split airflow pipe seems to be a common problem,my last nova GTE did the same and a mates gsi has done it,but instead of a nice shiney silicone hose my mate has bodged it with rubber tape,it looks shite!!
Feckin cowboy!!

locky
16-04-03, 10:25 PM
When i first done my conversion i had a split pipe, i tried swappin the fule pipes, and done allsorts, and realised the pipe was split! its a common prob!

privatepie
17-04-03, 08:55 AM
There is NO WAY im taking it to vauxhall,they charge ?56 just to diagnose it.
Dave
what would u rather pay ?56 get the prob sorted or shell out loads for an engine rebuilt

dathers
17-04-03, 06:56 PM
You forgot the other option.
Take your finger out of your arse and sort the problem yourself!
It cost me ?20 for a nice shiney red silicone throttlebody pipe, ?3 for the fuel damper,and another couple of quid for a fuel filter.
The parts alone at vaux would have been ?80ish+VAT.
At vauxhall The Throttle body pipe is ?35+VAT,
The fuel damper is ?34+VAT
A fuel filter is about ?10+VAT
Then labour on top of that at ?56 per hour+VAT
Thats ?135+VAT
?148.50 in total!!
For a job that cost me less than ?30 to do myself.
I can understand people who take cars that are only a few years old to vauxhall to be fixed,but with a car nearly 13 years old ?148 is 20% of the cars value!!
Dave

locky
17-04-03, 08:14 PM
Thats not a bad price! I didnt know that pipe came in red! another thing, ur unable 2 get the pipin/hosing from a factors! Only vaux do em! i rang several factors! I always try n fix it myself, if i cant find the prob, il ask 1 of the lads in work 2 have a look!, otherwise i work nxt to a car garage, and hez really good, and doesnt charge! doesnt charge coz its a favour for a favour!

dathers
18-04-03, 02:38 PM
I had the hose specially made just for me.
My dad knows a guy who owns a company that makes all the silicone hoses for TVR and Catapillar diggers etc.
So i could choose any colour i wanted,shiny or matt,all i had to do was give him my pipe for the day.
And ?20!!
Now my car is running sweet again,it beat a corsa gsi from the lights anyway.
Dave

locky
19-04-03, 12:15 AM
lol, i make all sorts of pipes in work! silicone, steel braided, multi spiral, swaged fitted ends.... and the list goes on......