PDA

View Full Version : cracked sump on LET

alan b
23-02-10, 08:41 PM
long story short let my little brother help me chyange oil today and he over tightened the sumpnut and cracked my sump, hairline crack right under the hole. now if i dremel it back a little and smather it in chemical metal shud it hold? worried that when i tighten sump nut again itll just crack the jb weld! any help appreciated! would rather not take sump off as just canged my sump gasket few weeks ago

let_nova
23-02-10, 08:42 PM
just change the sump lol,

djbrowney
23-02-10, 08:44 PM
once a bodge always a bodge !

Adam
23-02-10, 08:45 PM
Your risking your LET engine with chemical metal? lol

bazil
23-02-10, 08:47 PM
alloy welder? most haulage companies who have insulated tippers do alloy welding on there wagons, bump the guy a tenner and he'll probably weld it for you.

alan b
23-02-10, 08:54 PM
i dont want to take the sump off! and a sump isnt very easy get in southern ireland, if all else fails tho ill get it welded. anyone else ever bodged a sump?!

alan b
23-02-10, 08:54 PM
Your risking your LET engine with chemical metal? lol
yeslol its also holding a crack in the block where the turbo oil feed bolts in.

djbrowney
23-02-10, 08:57 PM
so many people have done that lol ^

brainsnova
23-02-10, 09:02 PM
i was at the local VW garage today and the boy was on the phone making a "i have some bad news call" he said when the mechanic undone the sump bolt the threads stripped off and a new sump is £219 thats fitted i would assume lol

bazil
23-02-10, 09:05 PM
my brother decked out his 2.9 xr4x4 sierra years ago, they have alloy sumps too but you have to remove the transfer box to remove the sump! so he drained all the oil, and cleaned up the crack and used that metal weld paste stuff your talking about, mega fail! it doesnt take very well to alloy and is a pish poor repair idea, honestly mate take the sump off and get it repaired properly:thumb:

alan b
23-02-10, 09:07 PM
mmm i think i will have to do this. bugger.

brainsnova
23-02-10, 09:09 PM
its your little brothers pockets lol

Dar
23-02-10, 09:14 PM
i dont want to take the sump off! and a sump isnt very easy get in southern ireland, if all else fails tho ill get it welded. anyone else ever bodged a sump?!

I have :d
I knocked a hole in mine whilst dragging the engine across the garage floor. I took it off and used chemical metal to fill the hole and it's still good to this day :thumb:

alan b
23-02-10, 09:18 PM
I knocked a hole in mine whilst dragging the engine across the garage floor. I took it off and used chemical metal to fill the hole and it's still good to this day :thumb:

id have no problem doing that, and if i dremel it abit to get a "v" in it, itd be course enough for the liquid metal to stick, all im worried about is the fact its where the threads are that when i tighten to sump nut the crack wil open up again.

bazil
23-02-10, 09:22 PM

you say you took the sump off? so im guessing you cleaned it up to remove the oil and that why your repair still holds:thumb:

if you leave the sump on you will have oil contamination in the repair and thats why my brothers sump repair failed:(

Dar
23-02-10, 09:27 PM
I thought I would have a proper read of this thread since I was just browsing when I posted and I would say you will have to take the sump off and for what it costs I would get another one rather than getting it welded up.

alan b
23-02-10, 09:27 PM
hmm god im such a lazy ****er, if i take the sump off will my gasket be ok to use again? its an 8v one bonded to the baffle.

Dar
23-02-10, 09:31 PM
Yeah it will go again.
EDIT: Just don't damage it when you take it off. I can't image how you would though since the the rubber is boned to the baffle and it's nice and new.

Benn
23-02-10, 09:31 PM
Why cant you just buy a sump?

I sent a xe crank to Cork.

bazil
23-02-10, 09:33 PM
can you get a metal sump that fits an xe or let??

alan b
23-02-10, 09:37 PM
Why cant you just buy a sump?

I sent a xe crank to Cork.

need car going tomoro night, new kids in town and all that:thumb:

i have a spare one on my mantas xe but i dont wana go ripping it apart, ill have a shout about people tomoro see what i can find!

alan b
23-02-10, 09:39 PM
EDIT: Just don't damage it when you take it off. I can't image how you would though since the the rubber is boned to the baffle and it's nice and new.

you say that now but knowing me il fcuk it up some how!lol really not having luck with this yoke these days

bazil
23-02-10, 09:39 PM
meh weld it up with the oil innit, and the sump plug, worry about changing the oil later lol

alan b
23-02-10, 09:48 PM
meh weld it up with the oil innit, and the sump plug, worry about changing the oil later lol
ill buy one of those suction things that go down the dipsticklol

db_1.2
23-02-10, 10:17 PM
I know someone whos used it on an alloy sump. Worked fine for ages, HOWEVER, this doesnt mean i would advise doings such a thing.

Are they alloy on XE/LETS? If not id be tempted to weld that bad boy up!

alan b
23-02-10, 11:34 PM
ya there alloy, i have an 8v tin one there might throw that on it for a while!