PDA

View Full Version : Are you a member of the rusty eyeball!

ade
22-02-10, 10:19 PM
lol

At the weekend I was working on the puntova project - grinding away when sparks strayed too close to my face and "OUCH!" face full of sparks

:eek:

now - remember kids when using angle grinders always wear suitable eye wear! and dont rely on your speccy 4 eyes for protection - we're talking proper goggles kiddies!

Anyway at that particular point I wasnt wearing said eyewear and I guess a skelf bit of metal went in my right eyeball!

nice...

was only like a dust speck and at the time I thought nothing of it - didnt hurt - could still see so I carried on for a few more hours...

managed to nearly finish the unders skin of my bonnet too...

Much later on that night my eye starts to hurt - LOTS - like the gritty feeling you get when youre tired. Rinsed said eye - no improvement

Went to bed with eye slightly burning - managed to get to sleep - wopke up with eye all gunked over with sleep!

:tard:

Went to work - eye driving me mad at this point.

Came home mid day - went to docs - tell doc what I'd been up to ( added a bit about me wearing full fac protection but he gave me that look! lol ) and was refered to hospital.

Went to A&E - waited less than 5 mins and after reading a nice eye chart (which even with manky eye I read all the way to the bottom :thumb: ) he finds said skelf and after numbing my eye and poking my eyelid inside out removed a black speck!

However I now have a rusty ring where the skelf was and have to apply a special ointment (one of many) to my eye 3 times a day for 4 days!

:roll:

So - who else is a member of the rusty eyeball!

lol

Still fecking sore too!

16v Nova Kev
22-02-10, 10:22 PM
school boy error ade lol that will teach you for not wearing goggles

bazil
22-02-10, 10:22 PM
nope not graduated to that level yet, im still at welding flash class lol

muzzy
22-02-10, 10:23 PM
That sounds less than fantastic!

I've had crap in my eye before and went through the whole waking up with eye gunked closed but managed to remove it when I went in the shower to try and prise my eye open again!

Rich
22-02-10, 10:28 PM
last bit i got in my eye hurt like fook! Couldnt get it out, ended up getting in the shower and staring into the jet with eyes open, managed to wash it out. Always worn goggles since!

Used to just squint and grind away lol

John
22-02-10, 10:31 PM
I'm a member ade! The wife spent a few nights at a&e with me as a yoof, having what felt like massive chunks of steel removed from my eyes!

Nova-rich
22-02-10, 10:32 PM
Yep! im in the rusty eyeball club when it gets to 4am and i need to get done i couldnt care less about goggles their so damn restrictive, same reason i dont wear gloves, masks or helmets, lol. in fact if the truth be told the worst case of rusty eyeball was when i had goggles on!!! proper wrap around ones too! work that one out!

bmw156
22-02-10, 10:35 PM
ade you must be getting on abit, your eyes have started rusting lol

Benn
22-02-10, 10:36 PM
After seeing my old boss do this and hearing the doc using a needle to remove the bits i'm really happy to say no i'm not.

Lynsey
22-02-10, 10:36 PM
Not rusty eyeball but once my ex got a piece of metal in his eye whilst he was angle grinding, so I pulled it out with eyebrow tweezers! I was clipping my toenails the other week and a piece flicked into my eye, it was really sore but I had no idea, until about 6 hours later, that I had a massive piece of toenail under my bottom lid! Ouch. It was extremely sharp where I'd clipped it and quite curved because it was from my little piggie.

16v Nova Kev
22-02-10, 10:38 PM
my boss told me he had to (shave) a bit out his eye with an open razor once.

Bubba
22-02-10, 10:40 PM
Not rusty eyeball but once my ex got a piece of metal in his eye whilst he was angle grinding, so I pulled it out with eyebrow tweezers! I was clipping my toenails the other week and a piece flicked into my eye, it was really sore but I had no idea, until about 6 hours later, that I had a massive piece of toenail under my bottom lid! Ouch. It was extremely sharp where I'd clipped it and quite curved because it was from my little piggie.

thats just wrong :wtf:

novacabrio
22-02-10, 11:25 PM
Im a member and yes the doc or nurse poking your eye with a needle isnt nice!

burgo
22-02-10, 11:46 PM
yep been there and done that. they just brushed a magnetised needle across it and gone. however it lost a rust ring which they told me to go up the next day to have removed. they tried to use a fecking mini dremel to remove the ****!!!! and then the dosey cock "doctor" got fed up cos i kept flinching!!!! hellooooooooo your putting a ****ing dremel in my eye. it was at the point i asked if it will actually damage my eye just leaving it to which they replied "no it will go after a few days"

dosey ****ing cocks, i hate the ****ing hospital

LEWI007
22-02-10, 11:54 PM
Happened to me once when i first got my nova and was cleaning rust off it.

A bit landed in my eye, so i went in my mates bathroom and had to oprn my eye wide, tun tap on get wet finger and wet eye and then push the piece of rust off my eyeball with my finger.

was disgusting but had to be done, lesson learned ;)

Tim-SR
22-02-10, 11:59 PM
i'm not a member yet, always use protection :p my dads top level now though hes always getting bits in his eyes and having to have them dug out by the nurse!

Bubba
23-02-10, 12:02 AM
always have always will wear goggles. just goggles lol

Dave.
23-02-10, 12:46 AM
Ill admit i do grind at work mostly without goggles

Once i did get a small piece of metal in my eye, luckily i washed it out and it came out, i was very lucky

A lad at work however is blind in one eye due to a piece of metal going through the side of his eye, and basically slicing his eye form his brain

Still looks normal, but now whenever i can, i wear eye protecton :thumb:

brainsnova
23-02-10, 01:09 AM
im a member but my eyes and eyelids are best buddies and when i woke up they had moved it to where sleep builds and it came out when i wiped it :D

muzzy
23-02-10, 02:04 AM
After reading all these stories i think i will start wearing goggles :wtf:

Rysee
23-02-10, 02:17 AM
Goggles FTW

I've had rust particles in my eye and just washed out, was rather sore and red but went after a couple of days

A lad at school used to get everything in his one eye, science messing with iron filings... "My Eye!!!!"

PE messing with wood... "My Eye!!!"

Cookery messing with spices "My Eye!!!!!"

haha crazy fool

Hobbit
23-02-10, 02:28 AM
I'm not but my dad is pretty much blind in one eye from getting a bit of metal in his eye.

auzzy2000
23-02-10, 07:23 AM
ye ive had this happen.funk me it was sore!! hurt to blink.the worst bit for me was when they put my head in a clamp and cut out the peice of metal with a scalpel!!!then i had the rust ring aswell.nice

ade
23-02-10, 07:23 AM
Goggles FTW

I've had rust particles in my eye and just washed out, was rather sore and red but went after a couple of days

A lad at school used to get everything in his one eye, science messing with iron filings... "My Eye!!!!"

PE messing with wood... "My Eye!!!"

Cookery messing with spices "My Eye!!!!!"

haha crazy fool

lol

done the chilli in the eye before - now that hurts!
a "friend of mine" also has chili bell end after his missus went down on him after eating a raw chilli! She never told him before hand though!!! :eek::cry:

EVIL

As for wearing goggles usually I do but I cant stand them because even the vented ones just steam up!

might invest in a face shield! Or stick my head in a clear plastic bag!
Still cant see properly out my right eye and its still smarting. Have to put his petroleum gel in my eye 3 times a day - cant see sh1te once I have!

:roll:

Ernie
23-02-10, 07:35 AM
I use to work in a factory testing hydrolic pumps.Lots of little bits of metal around when i wiped my forhead only to get a bit in my eye.
Off to see the nurse who cleaned it out so not the same but still bloody hurt.

General Baxter
23-02-10, 07:52 AM
suprise suprise im a member

last time i went, they gave me a head x-ray, iv got little bits of metal all over my face,

think of the bad guy from james bond, the one with miss berry in lol

Andy
23-02-10, 03:09 PM
I always wear goggles.Its fukkin ABC:wtf: :tard:

1.3sr_kane
23-02-10, 03:40 PM
i am a member. had to have 4 appointments all with the dremel to get the large chunks out as they had gone in that deep. i was well messed up and couldnt see at all. didnt hurt so much but it was the constant streaming eyes that got on my tits as had 3 diffrent ointment to put in and numbing cream. ive learnt my lessonby getting someone else to do the grinding for me now. lol..

johnny_turbo
23-02-10, 03:53 PM
im a member and it hurt like **** learnt my lesson after the second time i had it, so will always wear goggles now.

draper
23-02-10, 03:55 PM
im a member, several times over lol

im more impressed you got to a see a doc same day tho ade

daleNOVAbrennan
23-02-10, 04:46 PM
also a member, but never learn lol

stupot89
23-02-10, 05:23 PM
yep been there and done it and if you dont use a mask when welding and you have your specticals on you wont get arc eye

16xe_chris
23-02-10, 05:33 PM
I'm a member of the metal lodged in eye club, happen once with a grinder and then about 2 weeks ago with the chainsaw.

Those ultra violate lights they use to check your eye ball for scratches are bloody bright!!!!

And that yellow stuff they stick in there stains your skin!!!!

vauxluva
23-02-10, 05:44 PM
school boy error ade lol that will teach you for not wearing gogglessame apllys with the cheecky tacks u do,only takes one 2 many without your mask on?:mad: lol

mayhem
23-02-10, 05:48 PM
my contact lenses saved me from metal and sparks a few times.

dj_wudgey
23-02-10, 06:10 PM
bin there two many times for my liking ha ha when i worked at ats the boss had to take me to hospital once as i really f*cked myself over you allways learn the hard way though

Jack
23-02-10, 10:36 PM
my contact lenses saved me from metal and sparks a few times.
lol yep, same here. Got a metal flek on my lense once, since then I've always worn goggles (kindly provided by the army lol) when grinding and what not.

Mind you, getting some dust or whatever in your eye when you have contact lenses is bad enough.