PDA

View Full Version : dim dip healights

bazil
22-02-10, 10:11 PM
i know my gsi has the relay and small black box for them but ive never seen them working?

has anyone else seen or had these working?

Bubba
22-02-10, 10:53 PM
is this where the dip beam glows dimly like a side light??

if so try taking both sidelight bulbs out

the golf i borrow had this and id never seen it before

bazil
23-02-10, 10:07 AM
Yeah that's it, the main buld is on at about 25% as the side light. The box sits on the drivers side shelf under the steering wheel on the gte.

Guderian
23-02-10, 01:30 PM
Dim dip had a fairly brief production run, and as i understand it just went out of favour after the regulations changed back. Example- absent on D plate Cav, E plate Cav had it, but i have never found it on later Nova, Es*ort, etc.

A big resistor drops the voltage to about 10. to give an orangey headlight when engine and s/lights on.

You might even find your car, although it has the black box, does not have the dim dip wiring loom. Stranger things have happened.

bazil
23-02-10, 02:47 PM
Time to get out the old wiring diagrams then lol

mowgli
23-02-10, 03:09 PM
it was put on all mk1.5 novas and mk2's. my g reg has it. f reg astras had them.. basically if it doesn't work, then don't worry. if it is faulty, then disconnect it & it will be fine.

bazil
23-02-10, 07:19 PM
it was put on all mk1.5 novas and mk2's. my g reg has it. f reg astras had them.. basically if it doesn't work, then don't worry. if it is faulty, then disconnect it & it will be fine.

lol i actually want it to work lol

Jack
23-02-10, 11:50 PM
My 1992 J reg Mk2 didn't have it; my 1991 H reg Mk1 did; my 1988 E reg Mk1 didn't. lol

Don't ever recall it working on my H reg one though. The unit is in the Haynes wiring diagram though, so shouldn't be too hard to check the wires and connect up if they're disconnected.