PDA

View Full Version : Talk some sense into me hobos :D

Rexy
22-02-10, 09:46 PM
I need some advice as it were :D

Right, im loving the evo its great lar de lar dar. Its not the quickest thing in the world but its good fun and goes well around corners.

now for the dilema...

Im not a clever spunker who earns loads, but i get by. The evos paid for insurance isnt too much of a problem and neither is fuel for what I do.

But, Ive come across a bit of a block as it were. I could do with a set of disks and pads no issue, I also want to freshen up the handleing New bushes, droplinks etc.

Now, for some strange reason, i cannot bring myself to part with nearly £500 for front disks and pads just the fronts these are 2piece jobs from godspeed and Carbontech xp8 pads same as im running atm without the 2piece disks.

The rears are another £160 disks and pads £130ish, ontop of that, 200miles for £50 plus £82 a month insurance its really taking the funn out of it.

This was/is the last toy before im 30, im 27 now. But with the bits and bobs i need the little **** box is easy going to end up costing me another 2k in bits. It just really takes the fun out of owning and driving it and i really dunno what to do with it.

Go balls out and just take my time with it, something which im not really used to doing lol or **** it off, ive had an evo job done.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

bazil
22-02-10, 09:49 PM
get shot, new toys please,

iirc rs4 audi front discs are 450 each so not to bad a price for yours.

auzzy2000
why spend all that money when its not to bad all ready.make it any better and you may aswell not be driving it.let it all wear out then sell .had one like you said.lot of money for not a lot really!!!

Stuart
What do other 'road' used Evos have for brakes on MLR ?

as said earlier, regular plain discs with decent pads and good fluid will see you right imho

sulphur
22-02-10, 09:51 PM
Buying or insuring cars like evo's is never the problem, maintaining the c*nts is!

I'd say get rid, you've had your fun with it. Plenty other cars to try out before you're 30. ;) :thumb:

Rexy
22-02-10, 09:54 PM
Stu, im scared of splunking £100 on std oem spec only to warp them within a very short time.

I was reading and speaking to a few dude who are saying that the cheaper disks were lasting 1000 miles. I warped mine up on saddleworth moor, and i wasnt driving it like a pussy. Even if i went for "brembo" disk one piece they are £200 so it leaves me in a pickle. But, its brought on a few other issues and im now in a pickle.

Stuart
22-02-10, 09:57 PM
are they REALLY warped.... 9/10 times discs dont actually warp, its uneven pad deposits which takes a disc skim to sort ;)

Rexy
22-02-10, 10:01 PM
Lol, these are ****ed mate. Massife lip also, so they deffo needed replacement.

Ya know bollocks to it, im just gona go for cheapies. If i kill them i kill them, leasson learnt. It saves me reckong my head on what to do with the thing. and get on using it. I think this "evo" ownership has some sort of " I have to have the best of everything" about it.

16v Nova Kev
22-02-10, 10:01 PM
i say sell it and get a new toy.

Bobminda
22-02-10, 10:03 PM
bin it off and get a speedboat

auzzy2000
22-02-10, 10:05 PM
Lol, these are ****ed mate. Massife lip so there deffo needed replacement.

Ya know bollocks to it, im just gona go for cheapies. If i kill them i kill them, leasson learnt. It saves me reckong my head on what to do with the thing. and get on using it. I think this "evo" ownership has some sort of " I have to have the best of everything" about it.i think you just needed to have some reasurance.you know the answers really.just about convincing yourself.sell it say you had one and get another toy:thumb:

Mike
22-02-10, 10:44 PM
The joys of Evo ownership i see lol lol

Rexy
22-02-10, 10:48 PM
There is a lot more to it tbh mike, The Brake thing just really set me off.

Basically, i only bought it to go and do european roads in it, that was the aim obv the "ring" trip was in there but mrs rexy said she wanted to go on holiday this year. So, i was thinking argggg £££ into evo = no money to go on hols with the mrs blah blah and i really dont wana end up losing as its been cars cars cars for years tbh lol.

So, shes happy to go on a Massife road trip in the evo, and i can get it all ready for it which is all good and the car will get some proper usage. Not just little B roads in and around the northwest lol.

My godi need to sit in a comfy chair and tell some random person my problems lol.

Mike
22-02-10, 10:52 PM
Rexton, there costly cars to maintain, an holidays aint cheap either :( this is where the Impreza would have been better TBH (general wear & tear costs, or so i hear)

burgo
22-02-10, 10:54 PM
keep the evo ya fairy

JordyzNova
22-02-10, 10:59 PM
if you want 4wd fun by a sierra cossie for less than you probz paid for the evo ?

Rexy
22-02-10, 11:01 PM
Rexton, there costly cars to maintain, an holidays aint cheap either :( this is where the Impreza would have been better TBH (general wear & tear costs, or so i hear)

Never would of been happy with the WRX mate, it would of had to be a STI and then i have the same problems. As they are on a par with costs etc lol they just cost more to modify and are not as strong pmsl.

Sloth
23-02-10, 12:25 PM
fit 256mm ate's they'll see you right.

L33 LEG
23-02-10, 12:38 PM
I think you should sell it me tbh.

Jon_nova1
23-02-10, 12:48 PM
I say get some standard Mintex or ferodo discs, they're not the best in the market for nothing:thumb:

Ferodo are the biggest in the states and Mintex the biggest in europe

draper
23-02-10, 12:58 PM
man up and pay the price lol

GRUNT 16V
23-02-10, 01:58 PM
If You Cannot Afford To Keep It Running Then Get Rid Of It !!!!!!!
This Is How People Get In To Debt Living Beyond There Means

MattBrown
23-02-10, 02:01 PM
You can say you had one, personally, sell it fella!

As much as I love it (Im gettin one in the future) I would say Bye Bye, go get another toy to add to the list!

No point keeping it for longer than the "Child at xmas" part, after afew months its just another car lol

However, Put the interior back in lol

Rexy
23-02-10, 07:06 PM
after a few phone calls around

I can get pagid disks OEM spec for 35quid a side front.

Mixed with my Carbontech xp8 pads that'll do

Grunt, it isnt a case of not being able to afford to run and maintain it mate... Its having the stupid problem of Being **** raped on everything just because its an evo.

Massive prices on stupid things like disks take the fun out of owning and driving it. But, if these Pagid disks are ok then were good to go, Ownership and parts should not be this expensive. Drop links, bottom ball joints etc are all around the same price, you just have to be clever where you buy them from ;)

dj_wudgey
23-02-10, 07:32 PM
id sell it and get something rwd saphire cosworth maybe??

Benn
23-02-10, 07:44 PM
Funk that. That's to much to spunk and you know what i'm like for buying it cause it needed.

Stoo
23-02-10, 07:56 PM
Grunt, it isnt a case of not being able to afford to run and maintain it mate... Its having the stupid problem of Being **** raped on everything just because its an evo.
You have just contradicted yourself there dude.
It's an Evo, things cost money when it comes to high performance, trust me, been down that road MANY a time!!

If you struggle to pay for the things it needs, you cant afford to run it. Theres no point kidding yourself buddy. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Trust me, it will just keep on, and on, and on!
If its not brakes, its tyres, or clutches, or fuel, or servicings........

When i get back, the R26 is due its first MOT, Tax, A Service, 2 front tyres. (at 235/35/18 Contisports i may add!!) Thats the pointy end of a grand, easily, before I can even enjoy it!! I'm looking to get rid too, and I'd get considerably less for it without these things done!

You have to speculate to accumulate and if it means spending big money to keep it in good nick, you have to bite the bullet and shell out, or get rid if you cant afford to.

On that note however, Your gonna get less for it if things are due. Speculate to accumulate again. If you spend the money to get its value up to sell, you might as well keep it!

Long story short, cough up!

:thumb:

Rexy
23-02-10, 08:13 PM
Meh, Its full stripped out now anyways and the paint is shocking, So even if i did want to sell it as it stands... i would get about 4k for it lol

So, Im going to carry on with it for a bit. Ive sorted my head out now and had my little moan as you do onthe old fourms :D

bmw156
23-02-10, 08:21 PM
as for the brakes, i would go with the cheaper disks, even if they last you shorter times, you can buy 3-4 pairs for the price of one good pair. so your just spreading out the cost. which i dont agree with, but it would probably feel better in the long run.

Rickardo
23-02-10, 08:24 PM
I'll swap it you for my Xe Corsa.. You know how fast they are Gaz. :)

Rexy
23-02-10, 08:29 PM
nothing can touch an xe corsa... Nothing. ha ha ha.

Nah ive had my little rant and sorted my **** out rickardo :D all is good in the hood, the evos staying until its finished or blown up :D

Jack
23-02-10, 11:29 PM
You have just contradicted yourself there dude.
It's an Evo, things cost money when it comes to high performance, trust me, been down that road MANY a time!!

If you struggle to pay for the things it needs, you cant afford to run it. Theres no point kidding yourself buddy. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Trust me, it will just keep on, and on, and on!
If its not brakes, its tyres, or clutches, or fuel, or servicings........

When i get back, the R26 is due its first MOT, Tax, A Service, 2 front tyres. (at 235/35/18 Contisports i may add!!) Thats the pointy end of a grand, easily, before I can even enjoy it!! I'm looking to get rid too, and I'd get considerably less for it without these things done!

You have to speculate to accumulate and if it means spending big money to keep it in good nick, you have to bite the bullet and shell out, or get rid if you cant afford to.

On that note however, Your gonna get less for it if things are due. Speculate to accumulate again. If you spend the money to get its value up to sell, you might as well keep it!

Long story short, cough up!

:thumb:
Nail, head. Its an expensive car maintain, not to buy.

Like the GT4; to buy now its a £3,000-odd 4wd japanese turbo. But when it comes to maintenance, repairs, parts etc, you're reminded that yes, this is a £30k rally car. Heck, I just spent £1200+ on a suspension overhaul! My parents keep saying to me "oh you should sell it, costs to much to repair" - bollocks, a) if you can afford it (which I can) then why not, and b) as Stoo rightly points out, if you sell it as is you'll need to knock the price of repairs off it, so you may as well get the work done and keep it.

If the car gives you the fun factor and doesn't push you into the red then its all good. Each time I get in the Celica I realise why I spend the money on it :d

as for the brakes, i would go with the cheaper disks, even if they last you shorter times, you can buy 3-4 pairs for the price of one good pair. so your just spreading out the cost. which i dont agree with, but it would probably feel better in the long run.
Problem is on cars like that you can't get away with cheap stuff. Sure, my Nova gets cheap brakes, cheap oil, cheap petrol, whatever... but the Celica gets good stuff. I had cheap tyres once, they were so bad they were almost dangerous!

Jon_nova1
24-02-10, 12:13 AM
Pagid's good!

they're made by TMD friction, who also make mintex! and before they were phased out the c-tech range

Stuart
24-02-10, 08:38 AM
I use cheap discs on the VX, but then it is only the weight of a low spec nova (till I get in lol)

but I'm still of the addage of spending 'large' on pads and use cheaper discs as consumables to get the best overall system performance (till silly discs are needed but then you have a world of other problems)

db_1.2
24-02-10, 08:46 AM
Were you unaware of the maintainance on an Evo Rexy? Ive never considered buying one really, purely cus i couldnt bare to see the amount of money slip away from my fingers!

A mate of mine is always banging on about how expensive it is to service an evo, its his little speach of why an Impreza is better than an Evo! Lol, as you can guess, he drives with stars on the badge!

Personally if it were me, having been in a similar situation, id do what needs doing, then put it up for sale, but if you like the car, and can afford to keep/maintain it, then theres no need

Id never go jap again.........

Rexy
24-02-10, 01:35 PM
serviving costs are chreap matey, cambelt change was 270 with tensioners etc

tyres were 300 rainsport 2's

oil is changed every 4000k with plugs, oil is 40 for 5l plugs are 2each plug people bang on about using 60 plugs etc but these are being used on 500brake hanimals

dropslinks, bushes etc are about vectra prices if not a little more, tbh they not that expensive to run if you use your head. But people always **** over HKS etc stuff and thats where the expense lies.

You can easily spend a hooooooge amount on stuff you dont really need to, and a lot of people in the evo ownership just bang it off to a garage. We all know im not into that, and would rather do it on my drive.

AYC and diff oil change is a bugger mind, as that needs a hook up with a laptop to play its little tune. thats only 50mind with oils

Mot this year was 30quid, and the tax is only the usual rate you pay for a car over 1400cc 200 a year or something.

db_1.2
24-02-10, 02:02 PM
Yeh thats not expensive at all really.

I think you hear a lot of bad stuff about Evo's and the like, cus usually its a jealosy thing i reckon, everybody wants to be rolling around in something exotic

If you can afford to keep the car and live comfortably while doing so, its well worth keeping. The only reason i got rid of my 300zx was because it proved to be a bit expensive, but was rather fun, even in the dry!

Sloth
25-02-10, 12:44 PM
jap stuff isnt that bad, its HIGH PERFOMANCE jap stuff thats the issue. i paid £130 for a cambelt and tensioners on the missus's celica, and £70 for pads and disks front and back.
rexy have you tried german swedish and french? they do jap stuff now mate.

Jon_nova1
25-02-10, 12:47 PM
german swedish and french car parts? we supply them with brake equipment and they do some some pretty big orders in lol

Stoo
25-02-10, 12:48 PM
LMFAO AT SLOTHS SIG!!!!

You're such a punk ass B1TCH!!!!

Rexy
25-02-10, 08:14 PM
missed it, What was sloths sig?

lol hes banned now :O

Joe Richardson
25-02-10, 08:36 PM
nothing can touch an xe corsa... Nothing. ha ha ha.

Nah ive had my little rant and sorted my **** out rickardo :D all is good in the hood, the evos staying until its finished or blown up :D

Glad to hear it mate :thumb: Keep the Evo mate,best thing you can do !!!!

Rexy
25-02-10, 08:41 PM
Just making a New gauge holder for the defis atm.

Need to bang a Project thread up pmsl