PDA

View Full Version : Re shell - Petrol to diesel help please

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 04:59 PM
I'm considering reshelling my 1.5td but there arn't many 1.5td's around let alone ones with a good shells so i thought i could use a petrol shell and swap all the bits (yes i know about the engine mount different blah blah blah)....so my issue is

1. do i keep the ID of the original car and swap that to the new shell (meaning the likely hood of a respray to suit colour)

2. do i keep the new shells id and colour etc and change the engine fuel type?

Ideally i would like to do the first option as the reg plate is a 6 digit plate and its quite unusual and its quite a nice colour (gun metal grey ish) but this would be more work, so i wondered what sort of faf would be involved changing fuel type in terms of the DVLA and insurance??

Any help would be appreciated

James :)

General Baxter
22-02-10, 05:01 PM
nothing, just fill the log book in as normal

engine cap
fuel type
engine number

i once had a 1.7TD SR lol

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 05:02 PM
What do you mean fill it in as normal? Do you mean the changes made etc or just leave it as it is?

General Baxter
22-02-10, 05:06 PM
just fill the log book in as you would with a 2L conversion, but under fuel type put heavy oil

and what ever the log book is originally be it gsi,gte,merit etc: that will still be on there lol

just fit the TD into the petrol shell sorted lol

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 06:39 PM
Any idea what a 1700 td nova insurance group would be?

General Baxter
22-02-10, 06:40 PM
mine was a 11 or something

Gibbo
22-02-10, 06:43 PM
just swap id

Spudly
22-02-10, 06:46 PM
I'm considering reshelling my 1.5td but there arn't many 1.5td's around let alone ones with a good shells so i thought i could use a petrol shell and swap all the bits (yes i know about the engine mount different blah blah blah)....so my issue is

1. do i keep the ID of the original car and swap that to the new shell (meaning the likely hood of a respray to suit colour)

2. do i keep the new shells id and colour etc and change the engine fuel type?

Ideally i would like to do the first option as the reg plate is a 6 digit plate and its quite unusual and its quite a nice colour (gun metal grey ish) but this would be more work, so i wondered what sort of faf would be involved changing fuel type in terms of the DVLA and insurance??

Any help would be appreciated

James :)

Dont do this as its ringing and illegal, if you wish to keep the reg then do a cherished transfer while both vehicles are still taxed and mot'd, then fill out the new engine number and fuel type as you would do with registering an engine swap:thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 06:47 PM
just swap id

In terms of reg, vin and colour etc?

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 06:48 PM
Dont do this as its ringing and illegal, if you wish to keep the reg then do a cherished transfer while both vehicles are still taxed and mot'd:thumb:

Surely its a re shell? if i use the correct percentage of parts from the original vehicle?

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 06:49 PM
mine was a 11 or something

What gear box did you use on yours?

General Baxter
22-02-10, 06:50 PM
a F28 in the end, i was chewing up F20's every week, tehehehe :p

but you can use the F13 and up they all fit lol

Spudly
22-02-10, 06:51 PM
Surely its a re shell? if i use the correct percentage of parts from the original vehicle?

Not if the new shell alread has an id, you can do it to a blank id'less shell and you have to use the points system to keep the original id, but if its already registered and has a chassis number then to swap it for another one is ringing!

Gibbo
22-02-10, 06:52 PM
In terms of reg, vin and colour etc?

ye just change colour on log book

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 06:52 PM
I know they fit i just wondered what was best, my f16 on my corsa van is still alive but small block would be so much easier lol

General Baxter
22-02-10, 06:53 PM
all depends what power your running, my F13 lasted to about 200Ftlb

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 06:55 PM
Not if the new shell alread has an id, you can do it to a blank id'less shell and you have to use the points system to keep the original id, but if its already registered and has a chassis number then to swap it for another one is ringing!

Ok fair enough, as said previously that option wasn't top of my list due to ease anyway and now appears not to be an option at all, as long as a fuel and engine size change isn't going to funk insurance for engine conversion bollox then thats cool

Gibbo
22-02-10, 06:56 PM
but if its already registered and has a chassis number then to swap it for another one is ringing

is that ok to do if its not stolen ?

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 06:57 PM
all depends what power your running, my F13 lasted to about 200Ftlb

Erm more than that lol it will be reasonable budget spec - more than my van anyway and that was 116hp and 175lb ft when rolling roaded but i upped fuel and boost after that so it was a bit more.

General Baxter
22-02-10, 06:58 PM
F15 should do it, for a budget build :)

dont forget ratio's tho

i put a F13 Cr 1.18 on my td, lol

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 07:00 PM
I thing i have a cr f15 from a corsa sport that i got with my other 1600 xe engine...result.

I'll be fooked if i know the ratios though

General Baxter
22-02-10, 07:02 PM
WR ;)

when your in 3rd gear at 40mph screaming its tits off lol

Spudly
22-02-10, 07:04 PM
is that ok to do if its not stolen ?

Its not okay to do full stop, if he wants the reg then he will have to do a cherished transfer on the reg in order to keep it!

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 07:10 PM
WR ;)

when your in 3rd gear at 40mph screaming its tits off lol

Are the long ratios best then? i'm not sure what my f15 is...is it stamped on the box near the end plate? Suppose i could go f16 again though...

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 07:11 PM
Its not okay to do full stop, if he wants the reg then he will have to do a cherished transfer on the reg in order to keep it!

Ok we have established that is not an option thanks for making us aware spud :thumb:

Spudly
22-02-10, 07:12 PM
I was replying to Gibbo as he asked about it :p

Gibbo
22-02-10, 07:20 PM
cheers spudly

MK999
22-02-10, 07:25 PM
Are the long ratios best then? i'm not sure what my f15 is...is it stamped on the box near the end plate? Suppose i could go f16 again though...

Diesels don't rev much at all so you need a mega long ratio to get the right kind of revs for the speed you're doing, otherwise it tops out at 80 lol

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 09:39 PM
/\ i know this i just don't know what every gear box is capable of

so has any one got a shell???? lol

Count Vaux Alot
22-02-10, 11:20 PM
is an F17 big block?

Ben
23-02-10, 06:10 PM

lol half the Nova's on here are ringers from people wanting to keep it as a "genuine" GSI or similar, i know of at least 4-5 of probably the nicest cars on the site that are.

Count Vaux Alot
23-02-10, 06:15 PM
Thats what i thought Ben when i originally posted the thread lol

MK999
24-02-10, 12:33 AM
/\ i know this i just don't know what every gear box is capable of

so has any one got a shell???? lol

Well it's to the point where you have a diesel box and a petrol box for 306's, but I've not read into what vauxhall do on theirs as I don't own a vaux diseasal (:() And yes I do, wasn't sure if it was what you're after though, needs more work to end up as a daily than it does to be a track car really :tard:

Count Vaux Alot
24-02-10, 10:13 PM
is an F17 big block?

Anyone?

Ben
24-02-10, 10:22 PM
Anyone?

Yes it is, they come on the vectra z18 xe

Count Vaux Alot
24-02-10, 10:36 PM
z18xe or z18xe1? As the z18xe1 is small block iirc?