PDA

View Full Version : mobile standalone-ecu/engine man'ment guru's

peester
20-02-10, 06:36 PM
hi. To cut along story short; i need help with getting my mbe-equipped small block engine to fire. I wish to find someone who can come out to me..

Anyone know anyone mobile based....? Used before.. anything?

I dont need dyno's or rolling roads just an experienced chap (or lady) with laptop and correct leads, knowledge of easimap 5.5

Thanks

Adam
20-02-10, 06:53 PM
Has the ecu got a base map on?
Are you still having the turning over problems?

General Baxter
20-02-10, 06:55 PM
luke likes to play with ecu's lol

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/Image102.jpg

peester
20-02-10, 07:13 PM
Has the ecu got a base map on?
Are you still having the turning over problems?

yes and yes. because i cant get myself round to doing the laptop-ecu reading little details/learning etc. to see why its not firing, hence the post.

lol, luke know mbe..?

Adam
20-02-10, 07:15 PM
Do you have a laptop?

peester
20-02-10, 07:57 PM
i do yeah, i do have the software on it.. its just the cable - been told a std. serial cable will damage ecu n that..
reminds me im supposed to be looking into finding one from elsewhere, bout £40 from sbd..

Adam
20-02-10, 07:58 PM
Does the laptop have a serial port on??
Or going use a usb/serial adaptor??

Get it plugged in and see if you get a rpm reading when you crank the engine!!!

MattBrown
20-02-10, 07:59 PM
i do yeah, i do have the software on it.. its just the cable - been told a std. serial cable will damage ecu n that..
reminds me im supposed to be looking into finding one from elsewhere, bout £40 from sbd..

Stop being a ***** bag and pay the £40, christ, its £40 ffslol

Adam
20-02-10, 08:01 PM
Tbh, its probably just a serial cable with a sbd sticker

craig green
20-02-10, 08:02 PM
Stickers dont come cheap from SBD though! lol

MattBrown
20-02-10, 08:03 PM
Tbh, its probably just a serial cable with a sbd sticker

The only thing I could think is its either got a resistor wired in to limit the voltage, or the pins for the power are removed?

Somethings can be powered off a serial port iirc, but maybe the ecu gets its power from the battery?:confused:

Adam
20-02-10, 08:05 PM
Stickers dont come cheap from SBD though! lol
;)

peester
20-02-10, 08:13 PM
matt i think your right, its just a resistor or summat on a std. serial cable, only its not sbd as such its an mbe thing (different company) but still its different enough. Its not the £40, its as the first post says, i cant get all into it right now, personal things, busy, so im looking for help with getting the car to start. Trust me getting a cable for £40 wont sort my problem lol.

Ad ill see - i dont fancy risking it if im honest with a std serial cable, just yet, so ill only be able to try it myself if i plunge the £40 or find one cheaper another way.

Ideally, this 'guru' may only need an hour with his correct lead and knowledge and for £40 i could find the job all done for me lol

peester
20-02-10, 08:30 PM
lol ive read on an old mig post that stuart (cambridge) used to make the lead - he sold then at £25 all in, instead on sbd's near £40..

Adam
20-02-10, 09:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MBE-ECU-Programming-comms-serial-data-mapping-cable_W0QQitemZ200435250661QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2eaadf35e5

Stuart
21-02-10, 08:47 AM
If I can find the bits in the shed (I got enough to make 10 leads ages ago), I'll do you one for £10

Its two VERY VERY precise resistors in the cable to make it MBE compatible.

or
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Engine_Management_Systems/ECU/Mapping%20Lead%20Diagram.gif if you want to make one yourself lol

peester
21-02-10, 08:49 AM
lol just replied in the other mbe thread kicking about in mechanical..
ill take you up on that stu - go into shed and let me know ta.

Stuart
21-02-10, 08:51 AM
cant make any promises as I cant remember how many I've made, but will have a good look for the shizzle

peester
21-02-10, 08:59 AM
nice one.. to the rescue!..
i think it was 2005 you were advertising the 'mod' for sale on mig, i rekon there'd be more demand nowadays as used items appear for sale and popularity of new ones has increased..?

MARTIN KELSON
21-02-10, 01:24 PM
Hi Dave,

My MBE was dyno'd at:

John Toovey Road & Race
Unit 8
Wynns Venture Centre
Cannock
Staffordshire
WS11 3XL

Tel: 01543-505565Business Type: Engine

Maybe worth a call as only in Cannock for you.
He has a good reputation with Vaux race engines so maybe able to sort you out.

Martin

Mike
21-02-10, 01:25 PM
He has a good reputation with Vaux race engines so maybe able to sort you out.

Ill add to that, yes he does as ive also dealt with him :thumb:

peester
21-02-10, 02:28 PM
ha martin thats the sort of reply i was hoping for!
who'd have thought someone decent was so close-by..?
ill be giving him a call tommorow, nice one.

burgo
21-02-10, 06:11 PM
luke likes to play with ecu's lol

ive only ever played with megaspunk

Mazz
21-02-10, 06:40 PM
I didn't realise there was an RR so close to us..

peester
21-02-10, 07:04 PM
well dyno i think.

MARTIN KELSON
21-02-10, 08:31 PM
Dont think he has a RR, just a dyno to my knowledge.

He is supposed to coming to my house to sort my mapping since i have swapped the throttle bodies. (not sure if he knowes though!!)

What i can gather he knowes his sh1t.
Dunno if he normally does home visits, but might or you could take car to him.
Worth a call & see what he says.
Let me know how you get on

Cheers

peester
21-02-10, 08:35 PM
cheers mart, i will.. ill try my best as its a tricky game to get the car to him, hopefully i can collect him one afternoon and run him down to the car ; its not as if its gotta be done on mums driveway or whatever..

Stuart
21-02-10, 09:13 PM
Toooovey FTW!!!!! well known in the circles.

I had a look in the shed today and cant find the bits, so they are hidden somewhere else in the house :(

peester
21-02-10, 09:35 PM
lol ok.. well if they turn up great - ill have one anyway stu..

ste porter
23-02-10, 11:06 PM
i just payed 27 quid for a brand new one on ebay came next day and it all works spot on

he sells loads of them

Stuart
24-02-10, 08:43 AM
£27... hmmmmm might have to order some more bits and charge a few quid more lol

peester
24-02-10, 09:12 AM
lol yeah ste; theres a link posted earlier by adam to them.. But stu can do it for a tenner lol

Whilst im here, to update this - ive spoken to toovey, it sounds like he could come up to me, with laptop lead and knowledge this weekend hopefully..
Ive gotta try him again on friday to check..
Hopefully £27 to get it running , rather than a lead nextday delivery i dont know how to use.. so to speak..

Stuart
24-02-10, 09:16 AM
Plus if hes a half decent chap he will SHOW you what hes doing to help you learn faster :)

Will look in the box of kak I think the parts are in ;)

MARTIN KELSON
24-02-10, 06:41 PM
lol

Whilst im here, to update this - ive spoken to toovey, it sounds like he could come up to me, with laptop lead and knowledge this weekend hopefully..
Ive gotta try him again on friday to check..

Thats good news Dave.
You have to keep posted on how you get on. If you get it sorted you owe me one :)

Gutted though as i want mine sorted! Guy who built engine & apparently Toovey are supposed to be coming to mine to sort my engine. Could have done mine this weekend instead!! ;)

peester
24-02-10, 07:09 PM
martin, i do owe you one, if it works out..
i did mention to john, as i explained myself, that you gave me his details, he didnt ask anything about you but i was hardly giving him chance lol..
i will mention it again, if he does come up..
so is he a little unrealiable, or are you not phoning/ trying him often..?

MARTIN KELSON
24-02-10, 07:35 PM
John Toovey didnt (to my knowledge) build my engine so he wont know who i am.

My engine was build by a guy local to me who is a friend of Johns. To my knowledge all John did was dyno & map my engine.

I spoke to the guy who build mine last weekend & he said he & John were coming to mine to sort my problem out (at that point i didnt even know John was coming), that was caused to me swapping the throttle bodies!

As far as i know i have heard nothing but positive coments about John's work so he should sort yours out no problem.

I'am not dealing with John directly, so as far as i know he is perfectly reliable.

Martin

peester
24-02-10, 08:26 PM
ok no worries.. we'll see how it goes. I feel a greedy blagger at the mo, moving heaven and earth to get some help..
anyway. we'll see.

peester
28-02-10, 11:55 AM
ok so wee update with this..
mr toovey came over yesterday afternoon - connected up and discovered the ruddy throttle pot was wired wrong - it was giving a full throttle reading.. whatever.. i couldnt get a reading for idle lower than 1.0v before - which pointed to a throttle pot. issue..
so spot on service from him many thanks just fuel charge so i was happy yesterday.
Today Ive re-wired it correctly, hopefully, and this time yay (using multimeter) ive easily got a .29v reading at idle, as i should have, so i tightened it up properly for the first time and thought great! tried it- still not a bean. No fire.
Also the pot. has now limited my throttle movement to like 10 degree's throttle; cant get anywhere near full throttle..?
its so crap this throttle crap i tell thee.

Mazz
28-02-10, 01:16 PM
bummer :(

phazer
28-02-10, 01:43 PM
As said in PM at least one prob is sorted. I reckon the limited travel is the stops on the bodies rather than the pot. It is a Colvern pot yes?

peester
28-02-10, 02:38 PM
yes phil colvern type, but when u take the pot off the bodies move 90deg. as it should just fine.. when u fit the pot as you have to; it then limits it..
i do a vid or summat tommorow, post it up..

peester
28-02-10, 02:42 PM
oh and in other news ive ordered the ebay mbe data cable so soon will be able to print screen/dump shots of the software if needs be

phazer
28-02-10, 05:46 PM
yes phil colvern type, but when u take the pot off the bodies move 90deg. as it should just fine.. when u fit the pot as you have to; it then limits it..
i do a vid or summat tommorow, post it up..

Strangeness :wtf: Yeah get some pics/vid up so we can take a look.

Adam
28-02-10, 07:45 PM
Is the Pot fitted right? Actually it cant be if its limiting the throttle travel

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 07:46 PM
Hi Dave

Why didnt Toovey re-wire the pot & set it whilst he was there?
Couldnt be much of a job so swap the pins round, then at least plug laptop back in & see whats its doing.
Thought he would come & get it all sorted, will he come back?

peester
28-02-10, 07:48 PM
you cant get it wrong ad, surely..?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/Photo0027.jpg

Adam
28-02-10, 07:50 PM
Actually, just read that it happened when you tightened it up?
If you loosen it off slightly will it give full movement then?

peester
28-02-10, 07:51 PM
martin, we couldnt repin the 'pot because the pins arent recrimpable..
we could have cut and soldered the wires, which is what ive dont this morning, but i didnt have iron/solder at the lockup..
but yeah he has said let me know how u get on - pretty sure he would come back..
he said nowt about it being fitted incorrectly, to that end..
he also showed me where to look on the software, if i did end up plumping for a data cable.. which i have now anyway..

peester
28-02-10, 07:52 PM
ad, yes - loosen it its all ok, pretty sure lol
ill shoot a vid tommorow

Adam
28-02-10, 07:54 PM
Sounds like its just a too "close" a fit on the throttle spindle or something.
Undo it, put two tiny washers or something behind it to space it away from the bodies slightly, and then tighten it. If you get me.

peester
28-02-10, 07:55 PM
ok. will try. thanks.

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 08:06 PM
Dissapointed really as i thought Toovey would come over & get you up & running.
Would have been inclined to cut the wires in the pot & just wrap em together whilst he was there to see what happen's.
Cant see why the pot keeps making the butterflies stick. Try what Adam says & put a small washer on to space it back a mm or so.

Hope he sorts my non starting problem out. Having waited since Christmas, when they both come they better sort it whilst there, there or i will be p1ssed!!

peester
28-02-10, 08:12 PM
lol.. i did tell him again about u lol.. it still didnt seem to ring a bell..
the 'pot isnt making the butterflies stick, it did before with the used/bowyer 'pot, this time it just runs out of adjustment - like max's out with just 10-20 per cent on of throttle..

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 08:15 PM
lol.. i did tell him again about u lol.. it still didnt seem to ring a bell..

John wont know who i am. He just dyno'd mine through a third party.
If they had built it like i asked then i wouldnt be in this situation!!

Never mind, if they ever want the bill settleing the best resolve it asap!!

peester
28-02-10, 08:20 PM
wow, u not paid for it yet? cool. thats the way lol.

Adam
28-02-10, 08:21 PM
Its something to do with how its fitted/adjusted then

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 08:27 PM
wow, u not paid for it yet? cool. thats the way lol.

Nope not a penny!

Engine was fitted in June last year, then all the hastle with wrong throttle bodies etc, when its all sorted & i'am happy i will pay :)

peester
28-02-10, 08:32 PM
Its something to do with how its fitted/adjusted then

no idea.. its crackers. no matter how you fit it the only way it can - the pot doesnt have enough movement/adjustment in it to go to full throttle..

peester
28-02-10, 08:33 PM
martin, that is the best way.. nice one.
a shame to hear of another soldier struggling in battle tho :-(

peester
28-02-10, 08:46 PM
maybe this helps..
if postion 1 is idle: both throttle pot (blue) and itbs (red) are at correct idle setting.
at position 2 throttle added: the throttle pot (blue) hits its limit after just a 1/3rd throttle, and thats my limit with the 'pot fully fitted.. with it loosened/removed the itbs (red) go much further eventually to theyre maximum 90 degrees.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/potcrap.jpg

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 08:52 PM
Dont know & not anywhere near my car to look, but the spindle that goes 'through' the trottle body, the butterfly then connects to that & the pot onto the end of the spindle.
My question is, can that spindle be rotated without moving the butterflies? My thought is whilst everything is in its 'neutral' position, if the spindle is slightly rotated, then when you do operate the throttle you are reaching the pots end point before you reach full throttle.
Looking on Jenvey site the spindle rotates 82degrees, so if your not at the correct start point you may not get the full 82degrees before the pot runs out of rotation.

Does that make any sence?
Not even sure if it would be physically posible for spindle to be in incorrect position, but cant think of anything else!!

peester
28-02-10, 08:53 PM
ooh ok.. just digesting that lol

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 09:00 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/NOVAMARTIN16V/SFD.gif

This is from Jenvey site

What i'am trying to say is if you look at the side shot of the spindle. There is a flat edge that i trust locates to the pot. Is this 'flat' edge exactly as seen in the pic, or is it rotated already which maybe why your not getting full pot travel.

peester
28-02-10, 09:01 PM
i think its rotated martin.. wow not noticed that before..

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 09:09 PM
May not be possible to even be in incorrect position as i think the butterflies screw into tapped threads on the spindles.

Where your bodies brand new?
Where did they come from?

peester
28-02-10, 09:14 PM
i cant actually find a pic of the end of the spindal anywhere..
other than this of the other-side, when i was showing the o.e alternator catching..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/SP_A1653.jpg
im bit confused with it now..
the throttle bodies are from jenvey, via martin bowyer were brand spanking.

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 09:19 PM
Spindle 'looks' right from that pic.

Cant Martin Bowyer sort you out?
Failing that whip em off and nip over to jenvey, there only in Bridgenorth Shropshire so only hour from you & 30 mins from mine.

peester
28-02-10, 09:23 PM
martin bowyer :-(
lol
im gonna go to bed and see what tommorow brings lol
thanks for ur help martin,..

MARTIN KELSON
28-02-10, 09:28 PM
If your not at work tomorrow, whip em off, including inlet manifold & drive over to Jenvey & get them to look at em.

Just another thought!
You tried disconecting your throttle linkage & trying the trottle manually to see if your linkage is stopping you getting full trottle maybe?????

Stuart
28-02-10, 09:41 PM
Tried rotating the pot 180 Degrees and putting the wiring pack the way it was?

Although it wouldnt make sense as the cables would the be under a fair bit of strain with them coming in from the top

phazer
28-02-10, 10:09 PM
I had a thought that it might be the wrong pot - I think there are different degree opening types but I don't think they have the same packaging as the Colvern pot used on TB's so rules it out. I'm thinking interference as suggested earlier.

Anyway, here is the diagram from the Jenvey site:
http://www.jenvey.co.uk/Drawings/TP_CP17.gif

It shows a washer between pot and body, do you have this?

peester
01-03-10, 08:38 AM
yeah, from that diagram its the like the one on the right - WASHER (its profile is the same as the pot's itself with a hole in middle) then POT (and you cant fit it the wrong way round) then COVER on the outside (which is like the washer but no hole)

peester
01-03-10, 06:03 PM
Ok, i didnt bother doing a vid as i think a realisation occured.
But another day of more general bollocks with it really.
JENVEY: "Check youre screwing it on straight... fit it the other way round.."
BOWYER: "Pop it down ill do it for you."
lol
In a nut shell as i kinda cant be arsed anymore if you fit it correctly it limits the throttle as its going the wrong way?! But at least the values are correct.
So i have to fit it back-to-front. It sorts the throttle issue but then the values are all ..to pot..
These 2 photos show the pot pre-set value correctly ..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/Photo0057.jpg
Look at how the pot adjuster sits when i find the .29v idle value.. You cant fit it like that..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/Photo0060.jpg
Anyway there u go load of ****.

burgo
01-03-10, 06:06 PM
cant you make a bracket so you can fit it where you need it. i had to on my mates celica

MARTIN KELSON
01-03-10, 06:31 PM
Still no joy then.

You do realise it will be something stupid & you will kick yourself!

You know you can mount the pot on either of the end throttle bodies. Have you tried it on the other end to see if it does the same?
There will be a little cap covering the spindle. Flick it of & try it on that end.

peester
01-03-10, 06:31 PM
cant you make a bracket so you can fit it where you need it. i had to on my mates celica

:-( shudnt come to that tho should it..

peester
01-03-10, 06:34 PM
martin - i did try that, but the values then are reversed- it was giving 5.0v idle then going down in voltage as u apply throttle.. also it struggles to reach that far lol..
but it did sort the throttle movement issue too
It really doesnt work fitted correctly - thats the ****.

burgo
01-03-10, 06:35 PM
dave your modifying a car mate lol nothing is ever simple

peester
01-03-10, 06:36 PM
yeah i know, nothing is ever simple.
Fitting a throttle pot designed for that item in that way tho.. has to be said; bit ****.

MARTIN KELSON
01-03-10, 06:42 PM
As i have said before you are more than welcome to try my pot to try to eliminate if its a pot problem or throttle body problem.

Its in Newport if you want it :)

peester
01-03-10, 06:48 PM
hmm lol..
sry i am dead arsey at the mo. theres more going on at the mo than just the car..
anyway, pm sent martin..

Adam
01-03-10, 07:10 PM
dave your modifying a car mate lol nothing is ever simple
Maybe not when doing a DIY £300 conversion in your garage.
When youre spending 2grand on bits, id kind of expect things to fit/work TBH
Or is that just me? lol

Looking at that pic, can you not fit it kind of upside down??? Hmm, or will that change nothing

MARTIN KELSON
01-03-10, 07:27 PM
Download the instructions from SBD Site
It says on there about pot being wrong way round & not getting full travel.
Like below:

Important– please read the following carefully, as failure to do so may result in damage to your system.

To confirm that the throttle potentiometer is fitted correctly, you will need to gently hold the throttle potentiometer with your hand, and then slowly open the butterflies using the primary operating lever. If the throttle potentiometer is fitted correctly you should be able to achieve full throttle without the throttle potentiometer outer body moving. If the outer body does move then fit the throttle potentiometer on the other way around and repeat this step. Fit parts 9, 10 & 11 into the throttle body until they just begin to tighten.
Do not tighten yet as the throttle potentiometer will need adjusting later on.

STEP – 2
Initial setting for throttle potentiometer

Switch on your ignition only.
Do not attempt to start your engine yet!
Tighten throttle potentiometer clamping screws sufficiently so you are still just about able to move the potentiometer with your fingers.
Using a voltmeter probe the back of the throttle potentiometer on the Red wire and a good earth.
Set voltage to 0.25V and tighten throttle potentiometer clamping screws carefully and recheck voltage.
Screw the throttle stop screw until you reach 0.37V on your voltmeter. Fig-36

Sbd setting theres to .25v. What was yours?
You havent got the idle screw screwed in before you try to set the pot have you, so to get a reading of .25 (or whatever yours is) your not having to turn the pot to far.
Try screwing the idle screw right out, set the voltage on the pot, then set the idle screw on voltmeter.
You may find to get the voltage if idle screw is screwed in, you have to turn the pot so far your running out of rotation then on the throttle?????

phazer
01-03-10, 09:10 PM
If you have to fit it the other way around you just need to change your wiring to fix the 5v at rest problem. Swap the +5v with the 0v, leave the 'wiper' connection as it is. Easy lol...maybe ;)

peester
01-03-10, 09:17 PM
martin bowyer did mention that phil..
still an **** lol

that be the blue and black then

Adam
07-03-10, 08:09 PM
Went down Daves today hook my laptop up to his ecu see if all looks well.
Car is looking well,engine bay is proper tidy/well laid out!!!!

That pic for you Dave, the other pic seems to have Printscreened the second you let go of the key, so both are showing 0rpm!! So i wont bother uploading the 2nd pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/B571%20HTV%20WIP/eb92d9af.jpg

Basically all looks good, gets rpm signal when its cranking, pump comes on etc. But it doesnt even fire... And you cant smell fuel at all, so thinking the injectors arent firing for some reason.....

The throttle pot did go bang on 0.29v.

Definently worth asking someone with MBE to check what rpm they get when cranking, just to rule that out. I looked at another mbe map though and thats got the same "Rpm site fields" 0-250rpm, so it looks like that shouldnt be causing a problem.

peester
08-03-10, 07:13 PM
well i asked john toovey today and he says its vital that it cranks nearer 250, no less than 200..

so ideas with that then lol

phazer
08-03-10, 07:23 PM
I still think there is going to be some crank sensor related issues. You still don't have fuel which would be normal for an ECU not getting a signal/strong enough signal. It'll need 250+ to make the transition from cranking to running, think my DTA is set at ~500 rpm to transition.

What's the trigger wheel set-up? Is it standard Nova MPi stuff like mine? What crank angle settings etc do you have?

I forget, but you did get fuel at the rail and the pump running during cranking etc didn't you?

peester
08-03-10, 07:41 PM
phil, ive got a fpr gauge on order as we speak to proove that i have fuel - BUT as adam mentioned the other day - i dont think its ever been set to the required 4 BAR, so there is fuel but might not be enough.. tommorow the gauge should arrive, wednesday ill hopefully find out/set it correctly.
But, that aside i keep getting told under 200rpm is not enough, reguardless..
so, in responce: trigger wheel is corsa 16v mpi (4 or 5 groove bottom pulley, dunno if its different to nova, thought they were v-belt?) ill try dig a pic..
crank angle? no idea.. where will i find that out?

phazer
08-03-10, 07:55 PM
phil, ive got a fpr gauge on order as we speak to proove that i have fuel - BUT as adam mentioned the other day - i dont think its ever been set to the required 4 BAR, so there is fuel but might not be enough.. tommorow the gauge should arrive, wednesday ill hopefully find out/set it correctly.

Cool, that should put fuel to rest, I'd hope from other conversations we've had that this bit is ok :)

But, that aside i keep getting told under 200rpm is not enough, reguardless..
so, in responce: trigger wheel is corsa 16v mpi (4 or 5 groove bottom pulley, dunno if its different to nova, thought they were v-belt?) ill try dig a pic..
crank angle? no idea.. where will i find that out?

I agree, 200 is too low. Nova is v-belt but the trigger wheel and sensor setup is essentially the same.
Trigger wheel/Crank settings will be in the software somewhere - not familiar with Sleezymap so not sure where it'll be. It's under General Engine Settings in DTAWin.

For ref correct settings are:

Number of teeth on trigger wheel: 60
Number of missing teeth: 2

Sensor position (crank angle) Degrees BTDC 117.0

Stick at it mate, it really can't be far off! Whereabouts in Staffs are you?

peester
08-03-10, 08:03 PM
lol.. phil the fuel thing im 99% sure is fine, dont worry about previous conversations - i wouldnt waste time.. ive had fuel everywhere over last few weeks.. but if the pressure @ 4 BAR is vital to it firing/running then i cant guarentee that, but itll be at some sort of pressure- its sprayed out at a rate of knots before..
Wow, glad ur knowledgable on the crank sensor thing - ill try and find out the settings and check it against yours.

peester
08-03-10, 08:07 PM
the bottom/crank pulley is actually the std. z18xe - so same as any small block 16v corsa/astra/vec motor..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/DSC00043-2.jpg

phazer
08-03-10, 08:13 PM
Just d/l easimap, looks like the settings are in the Engine settings screen - the spanner in th background. You can choose 4 cylinder wasted spark 60-2 but not sure where you get the other settings.

You're about an hour away from me, hoping you were closer. Still if you get really stuck I might be able to pop over one weekend.

phazer
08-03-10, 08:14 PM
the bottom/crank pulley is actually the std. z18xe - so same as any small block 16v corsa/astra/vec motor..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/DSC00043-2.jpg

Looks fine mate, same as mine bar the pulley bit obviously!

peester
08-03-10, 08:34 PM
aye, just need to sort a serial equipped laptop lol

General Baxter
08-03-10, 09:17 PM
dave want to remove the postcode the cars stored at lol

peester
08-03-10, 09:18 PM
lol st16 2 is quite an area mate trust me.. cud be ..2aa or 2zz lol

Mazz
09-03-10, 10:52 AM
Or ask me, i know where it is! Might take 20 minutes to find it though!

Is it any nearer now then Dave?

peester
09-03-10, 11:07 AM
well not yet no.. but hope the fpr and/or crank sensor settings hold the key

Adam
09-03-10, 01:34 PM
Phil, the crank sensor settings are spot on :thumb:
Had a look at that.

But as said, the MOST rpm it saw when cranking was 170ish.
At other times the most was 110-115......

Daves crank exit speed is set to 550rpm, but it'll just use the startup settings until the engine reaches that speed?, and then change to its running/after start map settings.

phazer
09-03-10, 01:50 PM
That's good to know, rules another thing out. :)

Cranking is very low though, it should be hitting transition on it's own. Not sure what you'll be able to alter to get it going as DTA only give you a couple of settings and neither will help get the rpm higher.

Might be worth a look at the sensor wiring? check the shield is earthed one end and the two signal wires are the right way round.

peester
09-03-10, 09:26 PM
any diagrams what the correct way is with the crank sensor wiring..?

phazer
10-03-10, 06:53 PM
Wire colours I have for the CS on the original SRi loom is Green/Black Pin 1 and Green/Red Pin 2. Pin 1 is to crank signal on ECU, pin 2 is sensor ground.

DTA reckon the shield/screen wire should be connected to the sensor ground (same as Pin 2) but I'm sure I ended up earthing one end to the main ECU earth point to get it working properly.

Adam
10-03-10, 07:12 PM
The ecu gives out a rpm reading on easimap when you crank, so i would of thought that would rule out crank sensor issues????

peester
10-03-10, 07:16 PM
aye, seems its correctly connected, just wondered whether the C.S can dictate how fast/slow its cranking..

phazer
10-03-10, 07:35 PM
If the connection is reversed you get an inverse signal which obviously won't be correct with the angle/timing config etc. If the screen isn't connected or connected wrongly you can get some output but not enough to fire the engine. Took me a while to crack mine after realising the DTA wiring wasn't quite right.

If the software settings are right I can't think what else other than wiring/dodgy sensor could give a lower rpm reading than actual - a failed sensor typically gives you a 'fake' rev limit around 4500/5000 rpm.

DTA doesn't like one type of sensor either, can't remember if it's the plastic or metal one :tard: Perfectly working sensor on OEM management wouldn't even get the engine running, swap it to the other type and fired into life. Go figure.

Mazz
11-03-10, 10:51 AM
So Dave, would you recommend a TB'd small block?!

peester
11-03-10, 10:53 AM
when u say that mazz ur talking about every/any engine that using standalone management..
i guess it helps to get it setup for u..

Mazz
11-03-10, 11:04 AM
Yep true, i got some bike carb's sat next me atm! Just deciding whether to go for the cheap ass Cav mk2 dizzy route or stand-alone...

Adam
11-03-10, 11:59 AM
So Dave, would you recommend a TB'd small block?!
TBH though when its running its going to go/sound immense......
So yeah :thumb:

phazer
11-03-10, 12:46 PM
I'd whole heartily recommend it!! Doesn't normally take much effort but as with the throttle pot in this case and other weird issues that crop up it can be a pain to get the thing running.

A lot of the knowledge required is less about mechanicals and more about how the sensors work / software in the ECU is set up.

peester
16-03-10, 07:27 PM
Finally some joy with this: its fired. It was the battery. The 360amp crank on the halfords basic battery wasnt enough it seems. (Even tho it was healthy etc)
I replaced it with a same size (063 type) bosch version (520amp crank) and its fired. It wont run yet tho; need to set the fuel regulator (still no gauge arrived)

Ill do a proper update finally, on my normal project thread and let this 'mare filter its way out of sight lol

MARTIN KELSON
16-03-10, 07:49 PM
That is some good news mate.

Where you ordered fuel pressure gauge from?
Got mine from SBD, arrived next day. Borrow it if you need it.

peester
16-03-10, 07:52 PM
lol, i order it from POTN £17 all in delivered the lot. But not a whimper from them yet. Ill call them tommorow and shout a lot.

Cheers for the offer, if i draw a blank with POTN ill get in touch

Adam
16-03-10, 07:55 PM
Good news mate :)

Hope to hear its running soon!!

John
16-03-10, 07:56 PM
Finally some joy with this: its fired. It was the battery. The 360amp crank on the halfords basic battery wasnt enough it seems. (Even tho it was healthy etc)
I replaced it with a same size (063 type) bosch version (520amp crank) and its fired. It wont run yet tho; need to set the fuel regulator (still no gauge arrived)

Ill do a proper update finally, on my normal project thread and let this 'mare filter its way out of sight lol

Good news dave!

Mazz
16-03-10, 08:53 PM
Finally some joy with this: its fired. It was the battery.
YAY :) Some good news at last dude...but how come the Cav battery didn't work then as thats bloody massive!?

peester
16-03-10, 08:59 PM
chris; at that time there was still ill-set-up/ fitted throttle pot and less earths on the engine etc- thats why

Mazz
16-03-10, 09:18 PM
ah right...not long now then hopefully...

http://drbristol.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/fingers-crossed.jpg

nova 2L 16V
16-03-10, 10:08 PM
Any news?

peester
16-03-10, 10:11 PM
..what since 6pm this evening? not yet.

peester
18-03-10, 07:24 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1508635&postcount=600
thread closed lol.

Adam