PDA

View Full Version : what will be the best cam

SR Kyle
19-02-10, 12:46 AM
as above i have a 1.3 motor runing 40s irmcher air box k&n pannel filter 4 branch and the head has had a little bit of porting & been skimmed any advice on which cam to go for . also the car will not be a track car but i want as much power as i can get. but there are that many diffrent cams to go for

Nova-rich
19-02-10, 12:56 AM
I had a Kent cam kit AST--- (cant remember the numbers) but it was in a 1.4 SR, the powerbands it gave me throughout the rev range were really agressive was well pleased!

craig green
19-02-10, 01:06 AM
concentrate on the torque curve, not BHP numbers. If its a road car you'll be off cam more often & wishing the car had 'more power'.

rubachuk
19-02-10, 08:58 AM
I used a Kent AST2 on a similar set up and it worked well. I found with the four branch that the power was that bit too far up the rev range for everyday road driving so I fitted a standard GTE manifold and downpipe onto a magnex GTE system. Was much better after that.

So as above, concentrate on the torque curve.

Royston
19-02-10, 09:17 AM
Got a Piper 285 in the Sport, very happy with it, gained @10hp against std SR spec cam, engine is uprated as well though.

Was also considering the Kent AST2, but settled on the Piper cam

GRUNT 16V
19-02-10, 12:40 PM
Do Not Bother With A 270 Deg As You Will Not Notice Much Difference !! I Wish I Had Started With A 285!!

MK999
19-02-10, 12:57 PM
concentrate on the torque curve, not BHP numbers. If its a road car you'll be off cam more often & wishing the car had 'more power'.

Depends how you drive it, when I cammed mine I was willing to lose some of the day to day drivability in order for it to go like a rat with it's ass on fire at top end, since when I'm kicking it's teeth in it's above 4-5k rpm anyway, and I don't feel I need masses of power while sitting bumper to bumper lol

jimbob-mcgrew
19-02-10, 04:51 PM
drop a 1.6 gte/gsi cam in it, cant go wrong with that for a daily driver and wont cost u as much as kent/piper.

edit : you will have to change your ignition system for that actually, might work out cheaper with an kent ast 1

General Baxter
19-02-10, 05:22 PM
have a look here it give you the cam code, powerband, lifts ect:

http://www.kentcams.com/