PDA

View Full Version : XE holding back?

Damo
18-02-10, 06:12 PM
Guys just got my XE on the road it will tick over ok but it sounds really 'tinny' and holds back under acceleration really badly has anybody any ideas.

I was thinking something like the coolant temp sensor or an air leak.

Also i dont currently have a lambda sensor fitted but dont think that would cause the problem but i could be wrong.

Any help appreciated rep waiting for decent suggestions.

Damo.

General Baxter
18-02-10, 06:15 PM
Guys just got my XE on the road it will tick over ok but it sounds really 'tinny' and holds back under acceleration really badly has anybody any ideas.

I was thinking something like the coolant temp sensor or an air leak.

Also i dont currently have a lambda sensor fitted but dont think that would cause the problem but i could be wrong.

Any help appreciated rep waiting for decent suggestions.

Damo.

that would make the car just chuck the fuel in, as it cant measure the emissions

Nobby
18-02-10, 07:05 PM
afm?

Damo
18-02-10, 07:09 PM
that would make the car just chuck the fuel in, as it cant measure the emissions

But that wouldnt cause the holding back would it?

Benn
18-02-10, 07:09 PM
Get a new lambda in, might want no plugs too if they've been washed clean in fuel.

Damo
18-02-10, 07:10 PM
afm?

Changed the afm mate got one off a lad on here shouldnt be that?

There is a bit of a flatspot though but thinking thats because the lambdas not plugged in.

Damo
18-02-10, 07:11 PM
Get a new lambda in, might want no plugs too if they've been washed clean in fuel.

Just fitted brand new plugs benn when engine went in.

Benn
18-02-10, 07:12 PM
Plug it in, check your plugs. Bet it will get better quicky (might need a few good starts/ecu resetting to see the change)

*but if its been chucking extra fuel in it might have washed them and they might not fire nicely.

let_nova
18-02-10, 07:19 PM
pinking? timing ok?

comptoncj
18-02-10, 07:25 PM
I'm having a similar issue with my project corsa and its an air leak, it idles fine but seems hesitant to rev. people told me it was the timing but i double checked it and it was fine and the problem was an air pipe not connected on the throttle body.

General Baxter
18-02-10, 07:41 PM
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
FIT ONE lol

Damo
18-02-10, 07:42 PM
pinking? timing ok?
Timings spot on mate doubly checked it it think the tinny sound is just the tappets to be fair as it hasnt run for ages.

MK999
18-02-10, 07:45 PM
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
lambda sensor
FIT ONE lol

Can it be any of the above or is there a specific one out of the 7 that he needs?! lol

Damo
18-02-10, 07:45 PM
I'm having a similar issue with my project corsa and its an air leak, it idles fine but seems hesitant to rev. people told me it was the timing but i double checked it and it was fine and the problem was an air pipe not connected on the throttle body.

Ill have a check round throttle body mate im thinking the same too.

Just to add when i put the mpi pump into the tank it was a tight fit to bolt down felt like it had sat on the bottom of the tank as i was bolting it down are they nomally like this and would this cause this problem?

Damo
18-02-10, 07:46 PM
Can it be any of the above or is there a specific one out of the 7 that he needs?! lol

^^^^^lol lol lol ^^^^^

Adam
18-02-10, 07:48 PM
that would make the car just chuck the fuel in, as it cant measure the emissions It will have funk all do with the lambda, its ignored unless the engine is idling or on light throttle.
The ecu runs the engine entirely off the map when its under load. :thumb:

Has it always ran like that or just randomly started? Could well be the fuel pump!!!

Rich
18-02-10, 07:50 PM
get a lambda sensor on it. Will NOT run right without it, and will hold back bog down overfuel.

You are wasting money throwing things at it without doing the lambda first

Benn
18-02-10, 07:53 PM
It will have funk all do with the lambda, its ignored unless the engine is idling or on light throttle.

Has it always ran like that or just randomly started? Could well be the fuel pump!!!

Mine throw its toys out cause i was driving it with no lambda. Wasn't bad on idle but when drive it was bogging down and ran like crap.

Damo
18-02-10, 07:55 PM
It will have funk all do with the lambda, its ignored unless the engine is idling or on light throttle.

Ihave no idea ad i got the engine off a mate so i didnt know anything about it todays the first time ive driven it think its been stood for bout 5 months.

The fuel pump was one from the scrappers off a 1.6 16v astra.

Adam
18-02-10, 07:56 PM
I drove mine with no lambda and it drove fine, just the ecu light came on when it was idling :confused:

Damo
18-02-10, 07:56 PM
get a lambda sensor on it. Will NOT run right without it, and will hold back bog down overfuel.

You are wasting money throwing things at it without doing the lambda first
Absolutly true mate im in the middle of sorting one for it as we speak.

But as adam says though once under the load the engineruns off the ecu map dosnt it?

Damo
18-02-10, 07:57 PM
Mine throw its toys out cause i was driving it with no lambda. Wasn't bad on idle but when drive it was bogging down and ran like crap.

Sound like the same sort of problem benn did it run perfect as soon as you connected the lambda?

Rich
18-02-10, 07:58 PM

Has everything to do with the lambda. It will be using a base setting and guessing at what it needs to run. Putting your footdown will just make it bog down and hold back. It may cancel out under throttle but if its wrong in the first place its not going to fix itself

Adam
18-02-10, 07:58 PM
Worth a try i spose.
Mine ran absolutely fine without the lambda though.

Is it a dispak engine or dizzy???

Rich
18-02-10, 08:00 PM
Absolutly true mate im in the middle of sorting one for it as we speak.

But as adam says though once under the load the engineruns off the ecu map dosnt it?

Ive had plenty of redtops, ive had problems with the o2 sensor on every single one exept my last nova which had a 20xe so no o2 sensor to go wrong. Still had to set the fuelling up via the afm

Adam
18-02-10, 08:00 PM
Has everything to do with the lambda. It will be using a base setting and guessing at what it needs to run. Putting your footdown will just make it bog down and hold back. It may cancel out under throttle but if its wrong in the first place its not going to fix itself
It will always use the map base numbers under load. If the ecu was using the lambda sensor readings and looking for a 14.7afr with your engine under full load, it would be running lean as fcuk :thumb:

Rich
18-02-10, 08:01 PM
your just a lucky ****** then lol

Damo
18-02-10, 08:02 PM
I drove mine with no lambda and it drove fine, just the ecu light came on when it was idling :confused:

Same as my mate did ad he ran his dispack XE with no lambda an it ran fine?

It may be the dissy ones that need them to be plugged in?

Whats yours dissy or dispack?

Damo
18-02-10, 08:03 PM
Worth a try i spose.
Mine ran absolutely fine without the lambda though.

Is it a dispak engine or dizzy???

Mines a dissy type ad.

MK999
18-02-10, 08:03 PM
It will always use the map base numbers under load. If the ecu was using the lambda sensor readings and looking for a 14.7afr with your engine under full load, it would be running lean as fcuk :thumb:

it may be looking for 14.7 while running at idle then adding in a modifier for varying throttle positions to account for running rich on acceleration (it wouldn't actually run lean technically, but it would run stoich which is lean*er* than it should be) Could well be the lambda throwing it out

General Baxter
18-02-10, 08:07 PM
have to remember Adams engine is amazing, 180bhp for a start lol

Adam
18-02-10, 08:08 PM
Mine is a dispak engine Damen

Benn
18-02-10, 08:10 PM
Sound like the same sort of problem benn did it run perfect as soon as you connected the lambda?

YES>

Damo
18-02-10, 08:11 PM
Mine is a dispak engine Damen

That may be why itll run without then ad same as my mates. With mine b eing a dissy type it may need one to run right as benn said about his on the first page.

Benn
18-02-10, 08:12 PM
Just fit one, take the ecu out so it resets and try it.

Damo
18-02-10, 08:13 PM
YES>
Right then so ill get a lambda plugged in before i start messing with anything else and see what happens like you said mine seem to be doing exacly that mate.

Have some rep thanks for the help again benn.

Rich
18-02-10, 08:52 PM
lol

must spread the love benn

General Baxter
18-02-10, 08:53 PM
:roll: Kids

Damo
18-02-10, 08:59 PM
:roll: Kids

^^^^lol

Benn
18-02-10, 09:20 PM
Right then so ill get a lambda plugged in before i start messing with anything else and see what happens like you said mine seem to be doing exacly that mate.

Have some rep thanks for the help again benn.

Good good, "reset" the ecu/a few good starts and i'm sure you'll notice its sorted.

lol

;) lol

General Baxter
18-02-10, 09:20 PM
i tried aswell :(

Benn
18-02-10, 09:23 PM
Damn it! i want my rep.

Damo
24-02-10, 08:48 PM
Just to add to this thread just incase anyone else has similar problems today i fitted the lambda sensor and it has cured my problem it pulls like a train now and dosent bog down under full throttle.

Cheers for the help guys.

General Baxter
24-02-10, 08:49 PM
har ****ing rar lol

i want rep bitch lol

Damo
24-02-10, 09:03 PM
har ****ing rar lol

i want rep bitch lol

^^^^lol yes you were right...........

yea rep on way haha.

Cheers nick.:thumb:

Bubba
24-02-10, 09:13 PM
im sure my lamda sensor was never plugged in, my knock sensor went and caused alot of running problems

Damo
24-02-10, 09:16 PM
im sure my lamda sensor was never plugged in, my knock sensor went and caused alot of running problems

I found out that it depends on if its a dispack engine or dissy bubba if its a diisy engine they need them plugged i to run right but the dispack ones dont as my mates is a dispack one and hes never had one plugged in and that runs fine.

Bubba
24-02-10, 09:21 PM
mine was a dissy...oh wait yes it was plugged in, coz i ripped the plug out taking my exhaust off

Benn
24-02-10, 09:21 PM
Well look at that... lol

General Baxter
24-02-10, 09:23 PM
right another question,

you did not have an o2 sensor, was there just a hole in the manifold? was it a bit blowy? did you not think, ooo i need to stick something in there ?

Adam
24-02-10, 09:34 PM
Hmm, must be a dizzy engine "thing"

General Baxter
24-02-10, 09:35 PM
your old x16xe ran fine with out one aswell lol

Adam
24-02-10, 09:37 PM
Yup.
You couldnt even tell the lambda wasnt plugged in on my xe.
Maybe its because the dispak management is better though.

General Baxter
24-02-10, 09:38 PM
c16xe needed one lol

Damo
24-02-10, 09:39 PM
Well look at that... lol

Yes yes you all said i needed one lol.

Give me a dunces hat an i will sit in the corner so you can laugh. :d lol

Damo
24-02-10, 09:41 PM
right another question,

you did not have an o2 sensor, was there just a hole in the manifold? was it a bit blowy? did you not think, ooo i need to stick something in there ?

Ah well i had already put a blanking plug in the hole nick so it wouldnt blow lol .

Damo
24-02-10, 09:42 PM
Hmm, must be a dizzy engine "thing"

Must be ad like we said dispack engines run fine without.:confused:

Damo
24-02-10, 09:46 PM
Yup.
You couldnt even tell the lambda wasnt plugged in on my xe.
Maybe its because the dispak management is better though.

Yea must be down to the better management setup on the later engines.:confused:

Rich
24-02-10, 11:08 PM
my dispack engine ran crap with out one lol

Damo
24-02-10, 11:11 PM
my dispack engine ran crap with out one lol

Theres always got to be one ^^^^^lol lol

Adam
25-02-10, 03:50 PM
Hmm, must be a dizzy engine AND RICH's DISPAK ENGINE "thing"

Better? :p lol