PDA

View Full Version : Driveshafts

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 02:58 PM
I will have a search but can anyone telle me if there is a size difference between corsa sport/tigra driveshafts compared to a novas.

Ive got an gte and putting a 1.6 16v engine in and needed a speed sensor and couldnt use gearbox so i have got a hub from a tigra with abs and bought a cv with abs ring on, but it seems that its bigger than the nova shaft?

Any info is helpful, sorry if none of that makes sense, felt like i was talkin bollocks lol :thumb:

General Baxter
18-02-10, 03:11 PM
what the speed sensor will fit ANY vauxhall gearbox, it goes between the speedo cable and the ring

General Baxter
18-02-10, 03:16 PM
http://file046b.bebo.com/20/large/2009/02/17/14/69058872a10122760433l.jpg

use that if you have a digi, or if you have normal clocks get one from a 1.2spi nova as you can still use your speedo cable then

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 03:19 PM
Wont work mate, have a tran x diff which means you have to take the speedo ring out the gearbox :(

AlexW
18-02-10, 03:33 PM
Corsa etc shafts are different, thicker etc. Cut and shut shafts?

Your a bit stuck with that problem!

Adam
18-02-10, 03:51 PM
The shafts are longer than nova ones, thats the issue. And have a different number of splines on the outer end iirc

Mount the speed sender on the cv, and then a pickup to "read" the signal. Most use of a bike kind of speedo with a magnet

AlexW
18-02-10, 03:56 PM
The shafts are longer than nova ones, thats the issue. And have a different number of splines on the outer end iirc

Mount the speed sender on the cv, and then a pickup to "read" the signal. Most use of a bike kind of speedo with a magnet

Corsa shafts are also thicker, Which i think the main problem for trying to use a corsa/tigra CV on a nova shaft.

Adam
18-02-10, 03:59 PM
Hmm, how can they be? The actual shaft might be thicker but the splined section must be the same, as you use the same inner cv's on corsa and nova shafts to fit a big block box.
Im pretty sure a 28spline nova shaft though will be thinner(the spline bit) than a 22spline cv, so thats probably the issue on the outer cv, the 28spline shaft wont fit a 22spline cv. Pretty sure corsa shafts are 22spline each end and novas 22/28, or the other way round.

AlexW
18-02-10, 04:04 PM
Havnt needed to take a CV off any of mine yet, but comparing the size of them you can see there visualy thicker (At least to my 1.2 shafts on the nova)

This is deffo a gay problem the OP has lol

Adam
18-02-10, 04:12 PM
Yeah thats what i mean, the actual shafts might be thicker but the splined sections might not be.....
Well the inner end cant be thicker, comparing it to a 22spline nova shaft

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 04:26 PM
:( not giving me much hope here, lol, obviously then there is no way a outer corsa/tigra cv is gonna fit a nova driveshaft???? how else can i get the abs sensor to pick up a movement reading. Or has anyone got any better ways of how i can get a speed sensor?

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 05:38 PM
Has anybody ever had a driveshaft made for them? Not sure on costings and could be expensive way around this but im just curious if anyone has any recomendations?

General Baxter
18-02-10, 05:39 PM
lets start again lol

you are fitting a 1.6 16v into a nova, and need a speed sensor for the ecu ?

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 05:47 PM
correct, and obvioius /easiest way (obviously not lol) was to get hub with abs and wire the abs sensor to the speed sensor (just needs something moving as far as im aware?)

General Baxter
18-02-10, 05:48 PM
so you need one of these lol

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/SDC10074.jpg

or how about weld the ABS ring to the inner cv, and make a bracket up to hold the senser and use the nova shaft ?

edit, is the abs sensor a hall sensor tho ?

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 05:54 PM
or i could try and get the abs ring off and still weld to nova outer cv? (how to get ring off though?)

what you mean by a hall sensor?

General Baxter
18-02-10, 05:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 06:08 PM
Looked at that already and still dont really know lol. Just need some way of gettin a speed signal to the ecu, just took a guess that an abs sensor senses when somethins moving and when its not? lot of use that is now tho lol

General Baxter
18-02-10, 06:26 PM
Quote: Jim Grayson - www.vauxhallmechanics.co.uk (http://www.vauxhallmechanics.co.uk/) The speed signal is used by many things including the engine ECU and would set a code if it failed. It depends on the braking system as to the source of the signal. If you have ABS, then that generates the speed signal but if not, there is a signal generated by the sensor in the hub which than goes through a signal converter. Get the codes checked first.

Adam
18-02-10, 08:21 PM
No a abs sensor isnt a hall sensor. Works same as a crank trigger

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 08:36 PM
No a abs sensor isnt a hall sensor. Works same as a crank trigger

Which means its not going to be any good as a speed sensor?

General Baxter
18-02-10, 08:38 PM
nope lol

yor going to need something like i posted up, with magnets on the driveshaft, but getting the magnets in the right place is going to be a challange, you might only need 1 lol

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 08:40 PM
ohhhh ffs :lol does it not just need a signal though so it knows about the fueling or something?

Anybody got any suggestions on how i can get a speed sensor then? cant be that hard :(

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 08:44 PM
What about the speedos you can buy for mountain bikes, bodge that on somehow? :) lol

General Baxter
18-02-10, 08:52 PM
thats what a hall sensor is

Adam
18-02-10, 09:06 PM
It works fine as a speed sensor!!
Its how vauxhall electronic speedos work....

Basically a magnet and some blobs of metal that rotate past the magnet.

AlexW
18-02-10, 09:16 PM
Buy a different diff lol

General Baxter
18-02-10, 09:19 PM
ask dan

http://www.pngclub.com/images/car_images/2011big6.jpg

he ran that in his nova, im sure he used one of them sensors iv posted up and a magnet on the shaft

Adam
18-02-10, 09:35 PM
Yeah thats same as a abs sensor Baxter :) (what you posted)

xxspudxx
18-02-10, 10:42 PM
Well was messing about with the sensor earlier with a multi-meter and the resistance changes when moves past the abs ring which im guessing all the speed sensors needs to know? (so long as its not set values?)

But then back to the first question, how do i get either the corsa/tigra outer cv onto a nova drive shaft, or is the abs ring on the cv just a ring that could be heated off and removed or is it moulded to the cv?

AlexW
18-02-10, 11:41 PM
The ECU needs a pulse

xxspudxx
22-02-10, 08:53 PM
Well just little update on this, i pulled the abs ring off the corsa cv, then the outer casing of the nova cv was to big, for the abs ring (the abs cv has a section machined out) So i set about bodging.

Got hold of an old hub i had laying around, put the cv in it, wheel stud to turn the hub, held an angle grinder in the position to start grinding metal away to get the ring to fit (did a tidy job tbh) and then welded the ring onto the cv, lines up with the abs sensor perfectly and seems stronge so will see what happens, just hope the abs sensor works as a speed sensor :) What a pain in the ass!!!!!!