PDA

View Full Version : Twin 40s?? Huh???

NovaCruiser
09-04-03, 10:49 PM
Hiya

Being a student, :oops:, i've got a long break in the summer and want to do a project on my nova engine. I've got a nova 1.3sr, and thought about putting a nova gte 1.6 engine in its place, i've got a bit of experience in the engine side of things, im not a novice but not an expert at all! so i thought this would be a good idea. However after reading lots about the twin 40s on the 1.3 engine I thought id opt for this idea rather that bumping up my insurance on the 1.6.

The things i want to know about the twin 40s are.
Are they hard to fit??
I've heard they sound sweet as, now is this the same sort of sound as having a 3rd party air fiter on the carb, such as a pipeX etc.
Do they provide a good power (noticeable) power increase? if so what sort of increase ive read 25% here and 40% there??? :?

Cheers guys

scott5
09-04-03, 10:58 PM
twin 40s do sound amazing, its nothing like the sound of a normal carb with a filter, its more like the sound an induction kit makes. Its a really deep low sound rather than the high pitched sound that the normal carb makes.
They can add quite a lot of power but they have to be set up right to work properly, and they also seem to work better on some engines than they do on others even when the engines are identical!

burgessovsalford
10-04-03, 10:00 AM
twin 40's work to there full potential when used with other engine mod's. 40's on a standard 1.3 with no other engine mod's will not get alot of gains. However if you mod the engine, exhaust etc. there is plenty of gains to be had.

ade
10-04-03, 10:25 AM
theres a set of twin 40's on ebay for ?100 - jetted for 1.4!

:D

NovaCruiser
10-04-03, 03:16 PM
I forgot to mention that my nova has a auto-choke, ideally I would want to keep this. If I had the twin 40's could I still keep the auto-choke???

Cheers

burgessovsalford
10-04-03, 05:10 PM
I've personally never had an auto choke, but I hear alot about them & it aint good im afraid.

mikeoxford
10-04-03, 05:27 PM
I forgot to mention that my nova has a auto-choke, ideally I would want to keep this. If I had the twin 40's could I still keep the auto-choke???

Cheers

nope

the choke is on the 40s themselves.

some 40s have chokes, some of them dont

even if they do you find you dont use them, A) there a cr@p design, and B) you dont need to anyway you can manage without