PDA

View Full Version : cambelt on 1.2 nova

Josh_535
17-02-10, 09:17 PM
any1 know how hard it is to do a cambelt on the 1.2 nova's?

Asa-James
17-02-10, 09:21 PM
very. absolutley terrible job, the timing marks arnt clear, theres so many pulleys to consider, and the routing of the belt is horrendous...

on a more serious note, dead dead dead easy. theres a notch in the top pulley that should line up with a notch on the back timing cover, and the notch on the bottom pully lines up with a needle (also used when setting up dizzy timing) depending on what engine, it may have either a separate tensioner (lase SPi model) or the water pump is the tensioner, if its the water pump type it may be an idea to pick a new one up

Josh_535
17-02-10, 09:28 PM
thanx mate am quite new to novas and thought before actually running it properly better do the cambelt on it

Leeboo
17-02-10, 09:42 PM
People say you need to tension the belt with the water pump but any time I've done the belt on 1200/1300 carb, I've just set cam and crank pullies with the timing marks, taken off the crank pulley, slipped old belt off, slipped new one on, refitted crank pulley, checked tension and drove on!

Water pump isn't expensive though and therefore maybe worth doing when you have the belt off.

Asa-James
17-02-10, 10:02 PM
from your pic i'm guessing its a carb model?

if it is and the engine has never been messed with, you should be safe if you make a mistake, as they are designed to be non interferance. the belt snapped on mine last year, new belt, timed up and back on the road within an hour lol