PDA

View Full Version : Suspension/Polybushes

Leeboo
17-02-10, 05:22 PM
Hi I am putting my Nova back on the road soon and instead of just firing in 60mm springs as usual, I'm looking into buying something a bit better.

The car is smallblock and is used on the road, sometimes more enthusiastically on narrower backroads.

I can't afford anything like GAZ or AVO coilovers, so I was thinking of just a good shock/spring setup around £200 or maybe a little more if necessary.

Can anyone recommend what would be best given my budget/requirements?

Also, do polybushes make a noticeable difference to handling on road driving? Or should I just leave my standard bushes alone.

Thanks

Pistol Pete
17-02-10, 05:33 PM
Do the poly bushes by all means. But IMO cheap suspension will be just that...cheap!! Save abit more and buy some quality stuff. You will only end up buying 2 sets otherwise!

Leeboo
17-02-10, 05:42 PM
Ok polybushes make a noticeable difference then? I was looking at the 'polyrace' bushes on rallydesign website, these any good?

What would you consider decent suspension pete? GAZ/AVO coils? Or bilstein thick piston? Thing is, im a student and I won't be able to spend £4/500 on suspension like that. Just want something better than 60mm springs and std shocks lol

Iain
17-02-10, 05:45 PM
Decent second hand shock/spring setup should be <£200. Poly bushes are only about £30 - new bushes will be an improvement over std old ones, and polys are probably cheaper than new GM and easy to fit.

Pistol Pete
17-02-10, 05:45 PM
Polybushes will be abit firmer than the 20 year old rubber currently on your car!! As for suspension, maybe a second hand set of Spax etc?? Try ebay or stick up a wanted thread. I sold a set on here a while back for around the £200 IIRC. 60mm springs on standard shocks must be naff!!!

Leeboo
17-02-10, 05:49 PM
Ok thanks for the advice. Has anyone used the polyrace bushes from rally design? As these are the ones I was intending on ordering.

Iain
17-02-10, 05:53 PM
Yes a few on here have used them I think, I had a set on my 1.6 and they were great.

Pistol Pete
17-02-10, 05:54 PM
What he said^

Welsh Dan
17-02-10, 08:21 PM
Price up some of the orange or gold KYB shocks at a local motor factors. Black KYB shocks are just OE replacement jobbies. You should be able to pick up some reasonable springs on the for sale forum on here.

Leeboo
17-02-10, 09:35 PM
Thanks again for the replies! Dan I have orange KYB rear shocks but the metal sleeves (plastic on std shocks) have rusted through - so I guess they are knackered if they are that old.

Will price the KYB's friday when I'm back from uni thanks.

Ordered polybushes for my tie rods, bottom arms and back axle this evening.

I've been thinking about a brake setup, at the moment I have solid discs and std corsa b calipers, either going to buy new std vented discs and good pads or opt for 2.0L brakes?