PDA

View Full Version : Average speed cameras on cat n fiddle

ben doodar
17-02-10, 11:00 AM
Just found this on clubgti end if an era really but it's been coming for a long time. Was inevitable really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8516133.stm

mowgli
17-02-10, 11:01 AM
i give them a week before they disappear

Lynsey
17-02-10, 11:08 AM
Cat and Fiddle is a brilliant drive but there have been so many deaths and accidents. I have been overtaken in some right stupid places by bikes on that road, so I'm not suprised.

General Baxter
17-02-10, 11:09 AM
even the ones on the m6 dont work lol

Lynsey
17-02-10, 11:13 AM
The M6 is horrendous at the moment. I went home the other weekend and it took forever. What the hell are they doing anyway?

General Baxter
17-02-10, 11:15 AM
there fitting them adjustable speed limit thingys like on the m42

Mike
17-02-10, 11:15 AM
The M6 is horrendous at the moment. I went home the other weekend and it took forever. What the hell are they doing anyway?

Strengthening the hard shoulder as its going to be used as another lane during rush hour. (J11a to J5 IIRC?)

They dont work. Ill be more then banned by now if they did, i go up & down there every day.

sparkie1401
17-02-10, 11:30 AM
they are all around me on M1, from about junc 28 to nearly east midland airport

and they coming around sheffield

ben doodar
17-02-10, 11:38 AM
Cat n fiddle was an awesome road had some inspired drives round there in the nova. Used to wake up on a saturday morning wash the nova n go for a drive up there. At least there's still the awesome scenery. Used to sit n have a fag n look at the view.

andy_017
17-02-10, 11:45 AM
Talk about ruining the fun for everyone,the society that we live in today will eventually mean there will be no fun to have anywere,what will they think of next!

General Baxter
17-02-10, 11:48 AM
im sorry but they work

j4 to 8 on the m42 was stupid at rush hour, now these cameras are in to slow everyone down to 20to50 it runs so much smoother

MK999
17-02-10, 11:49 AM
"The cameras are expected to be in use by the end of March. They have been designed to minimize the impact on the landscape."

We're going to paint them green and cover them in leaves for er, the good of the landscape... yes

Jack
17-02-10, 11:51 AM
Excellent!

I'm off to set up a tea and burger van halfway along the route. I'll get a roaring trade ;)

General Baxter
17-02-10, 11:52 AM
id like a bite of some of your sausage

Lynsey
17-02-10, 11:54 AM
I reckon the pub will still be more popular :p

Jack
17-02-10, 11:55 AM
Depends, where will the SPECS cameras be? I'll set up right in the middle of them :d

MK999
17-02-10, 12:26 PM
I notice a flaw in this plan, 70% of the people they're trying to catch, do not have front mounted plates lol

mowgli
17-02-10, 12:37 PM
this road was on the box once & the cops came round a bend to meet a radical sports racer fully sideways on in the middle of the road..

it looked fun..

there are still some great driving roads left, the hinckley northern perimeter for instance...........

Riggy
17-02-10, 12:42 PM
we still have wales lol , some awsome roads goin up snowdonia

ben doodar
17-02-10, 12:48 PM
Lol I'm going to go a drive up the cat n fiddle tonight. Havnt been there for a good while. Be a nice road to take my new car on a run up there.

General Baxter
17-02-10, 12:48 PM
there are still some great driving roads left, the hinckley northern perimeter for instance...........

oh dear lol

George g
17-02-10, 12:56 PM
To be fair that road is too busy during the day anyway. I have seen many a caterham style thing spin or loose it round there. I much prefer axe edge, high edge, goyt valley roads & derbyshire bridge. Especially in the dark!

Mike
17-02-10, 12:58 PM
Cat & Fiddle will never be better then the Evo triangle tho. Great road yes, but the Triangle is much much better IMO :)

Ive been hearing things from some one who lives very close to the fiddle, an allegedly yolkels have apparently formulated a plan for once said cameras come into use :S

ben doodar
17-02-10, 01:36 PM
Where abouts is the evo triangle mike?
Never been to goyt valley either so think il be going on a drive to find it later! Lol

thinking about it maybe there could be a sticky thread "great drives" simaler to the feature in tv as I found that a good read!

Mike
17-02-10, 01:46 PM
In wales Ben.

See here (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=evo+triangle&meta=&aq=f&oq=evo+triangle&fp=a73fa2ac306dd28e)

matt_vaughan
17-02-10, 01:52 PM
I still cant beat the Ribblehead run, which incidently takes you up to Hawes where you can then do the Buttertubs Pass......

I Love the Yorkshire Dales!

andy_017
17-02-10, 01:53 PM
The cameras going up on the cat and fiddle are rear facing cameras so us bikers will not be able to get away with it,to be honest I think the whole thing is aimed at bikers anyway as in the text on the BBC website they use a motorcycle rider as an example and people seem to hate motorcyclist for some reason! Hopefully the locals have a good plan then :)

Lynsey
17-02-10, 02:00 PM
this road was on the box once & the cops came round a bend to meet a radical sports racer fully sideways on in the middle of the road..

it looked fun..

Haha I remember that one, they were just coming one of the first coreners in the Macc end.

Lynsey
17-02-10, 02:02 PM
To be fair that road is too busy during the day anyway. I have seen many a caterham style thing spin or loose it round there. I much prefer axe edge, high edge, goyt valley roads & derbyshire bridge. Especially in the dark!

Goyt Valley is coooooool :cool: I used to go up there all the time when I wanted a drive. The one way bit is like a rally stage, I never knew how steep the drops were because I only went up at night lol

Stuart
17-02-10, 02:09 PM
bikers are cooonts and deserve to be kicked off the fun roads.... get some grip to go round bends and come back to the twisties.

craig green
17-02-10, 02:16 PM
Not only that Stu, but when a biker waits behind a queue of cars to overtake, they always pull out on the last oncoming car, why? It saves ooooh, .003 of a second, yet risks them hitting the last car in said queue, head on. TWunts!

Jack
17-02-10, 02:33 PM
thinking about it maybe there could be a sticky thread "great drives" simaler to the feature in tv as I found that a good read!
There was a thread ages ago about that kinda thing. May have been CP who started it iirc...

andy_017
17-02-10, 03:47 PM
Craig and stoo not all motorcyclists are like that,it's like anything it only takes a few idiots to give everyone else a bad name!

mowgli
17-02-10, 03:55 PM
Craig and stoo not all motorcyclists are like that,it's like anything it only takes a few idiots to give everyone else a bad name!

i distinctly remember seeing a considerate biker who gave other motorists due care & consideration......he was riding an indian in a mayors parade.... the rest think they are immune to traffic laws

Stuart
17-02-10, 04:38 PM
also bikers DONT SIT IN THE BLIND SPOT!!!

Jack
17-02-10, 04:59 PM
also bikers DONT SIT IN THE BLIND SPOT!!!
THAT fcuks me off! They have a tendency to hover about 3ft from yor rear corner. Distracting.

On the A37 between Yeovil and Ilchester they put spacer marks between the lanes down the middle of the road; all the bikers I've seen using that road now act like its a bike lane and just ride straight down it. Damned annoying when you want to overtake someone but suddenly find Evel Kneivel lampooning down "his" lane

Mike
17-02-10, 05:05 PM
Idiotic bikers are pure gáyness, no wonder why so many get killed.

I dont like them & neither does bread van.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/The%20bread%20van/100_0980.jpg

scott.parker
17-02-10, 05:11 PM
there fitting them adjustable speed limit thingys like on the m42

Correct, i remember on top gear they said about these cam's i laughed as they have had them on the M18 last year, the M40 while the A46 fly over was being done, and on the M6 by walsal/Nottingham etc, and NONE of them work, as if they did i would have been band by now, not cleaver i know but meh..

Mike
17-02-10, 05:14 PM
Correct, i remember on top gear they said about these cam's i laughed as they have had them on the M18 last year, the M40 while the A46 fly over was being done, and on the M6 by walsal/Nottingham etc, and NONE of them work, as if they did i would have been band by now, not cleaver i know but meh..

Same here. There is also perfect logic how I know they dont work aswell.

Logical Improvement
17-02-10, 06:52 PM
Cat n fiddle was an awesome road had some inspired drives round there in the nova. Used to wake up on a saturday morning wash the nova n go for a drive up there. At least there's still the awesome scenery. Used to sit n have a fag n look at the view.

From Stoke I'd just keep heading west to Whitchurch and then towards Bala, and across to the coast. Better roads than the cat and fiddle IMHO.

But what about the back roads via wild boar clough and through macclesfield forest and into langley. (Not that it would be safe at the speed limit)

Adam
17-02-10, 06:55 PM
Same here. There is also perfect logic how I know they dont work aswell.
Spill the beans!!!!

First time i went down the m6 after they put the spec cameras up i slowed down to 50 and then had a bit of a feeling the cameras werent working when people were still doing 80+ in the outside lane :roll:

General Baxter
17-02-10, 06:58 PM
they just dont work,

i would of been banned 20times by now lol

its ok, my plates read B571 HTV so im safe lol

Adam
17-02-10, 07:11 PM
And you also have a green nova.....??

Tool

General Baxter
17-02-10, 07:12 PM
the back end is green with mold lol

Adam
17-02-10, 07:15 PM
Good job they take a pic of the front end then :p

General Baxter
17-02-10, 07:16 PM
not the perm ones further down the m6 lol
your thinking of the gay yellow ones lol

Lee H
17-02-10, 07:21 PM
bikers are cooonts and deserve to be kicked off the fun roads.... get some grip to go round bends and come back to the twisties.

+rep :thumb: lol

Benn
17-02-10, 08:11 PM
Spill the beans!!!!

First time i went down the m6 after they put the spec cameras up i slowed down to 50 and then had a bit of a feeling the cameras werent working when people were still doing 80+ in the outside lane :roll:

Didnt think there where any on the m6?? Been on it a few times and not seen any..

Cat and fiddle road is awesome, wish i could of driven my Nova over it..

General Baxter
17-02-10, 08:13 PM
Didnt think there where any on the m6?? Been on it a few times and not seen any..

Cat and fiddle road is awesome, wish i could of driven my Nova over it..

theres about 15 of them between the m5 and junction 12 lol

Benn
17-02-10, 08:15 PM
Oh, i've driven it from brum to manc at about 90 all the way...
And twice from the toll told up.. Guess i've been lucky!

Mike
17-02-10, 09:57 PM
Spill the beans!!!!

Think about it right.....

How many miles of cable would they have to keep moving about, how many sets of camera equipments theyd constantly have to keep moving up & down the motorway, the lack of trunkings & metal tray work that isnt being laid before the camers are erected to get power to them for them to work & connection to servers for photo storage & data recording. Add the fact of there ill positioning which leaves them wide open to numerous blind spots & then tell me how I didnt get banned for doing a 3 figure speed whilst going through 5 in a row last time i went to Lee's house.

Thats how i know they dont work :) lol lol

Jack
17-02-10, 09:58 PM
Mike, did you change lanes? SPECS is only type approved to watch a single lane in a multi lane carriageway lol

Mike
17-02-10, 10:00 PM
Mike, did you change lanes? SPECS is only type approved to watch a single lane in a multi lane carriageway lol

Jack, I never change lanes. Im a white van driver lol lol outside lane is my home from home :)

Ive also worked closely with several blokes who work for the highways agency who informed me regulary they dont work & there not a valid excuse for being late :cry:

ben doodar
18-02-10, 12:11 AM
From Stoke I'd just keep heading west to Whitchurch and then towards Bala, and across to the coast. Better roads than the cat and fiddle IMHO.

But what about the back roads via wild boar clough and through macclesfield forest and into langley. (Not that it would be safe at the speed limit)

Yh that's true some ace roads upto wild boar clough, sat in that beer garden on many a summer day! Don't think I've ever drive out to whitchurch or bala. Heading west?

Where are you from mate?

mowgli
18-02-10, 08:28 AM
Think about it right.....

How many miles of cable would they have to keep moving about, how many sets of camera equipments theyd constantly have to keep moving up & down the motorway, the lack of trunkings & metal tray work that isnt being laid before the camers are erected to get power to them for them to work & connection to servers for photo storage & data recording. Add the fact of there ill positioning which leaves them wide open to numerous blind spots & then tell me how I didnt get banned for doing a 3 figure speed whilst going through 5 in a row last time i went to Lee's house.

Thats how i know they dont work :) lol lol

i always assumed they simply used mobile phone or similar cordless technology..

or they synchronise the clocks with the radio time signal, record the info and download it later.....

Mike
18-02-10, 04:34 PM
i always assumed they simply used mobile phone or similar cordless technology..

or they synchronise the clocks with the radio time signal, record the info and download it later.....

Possiblity yes, but ive never seen any radio transmitting equipments set up by them tho.

Also, there never spaced out in exact distances, which would make it harder to work out average speeds. An we all know the Highways agency dont do hard work.

Stuart
18-02-10, 05:17 PM
Also on multi lanes in a 50 and under limit they tend to only have two cameras and one points at the indise lane and the other tends to aim at the middle lane (you can see the aiming as you drive past them).

I've not been keen to try humping it along in the unaimed lane though lol

scott.parker
18-02-10, 05:36 PM
OK I'll be blatant here, if there working there pretty ****! as i have done 80mph over almost an entire stretch of these temp cams, and this has been done over a year ago, and a few months back etc.