PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Prefer?

ianglanister
17-02-10, 09:26 AM
Due to some comments on the Fiesta For Sale Thread i wanted to make this thread to see what people think.

In the advert it says the engine fitted is not declared on the log book.
To this i have simply stated that it is illegal and offered advice that the seller should change the log book and then sell it with the log book stating the engine that is fitted in the car. Selling a car which is not as stated on the log book is illegal. and if you sell it to someone who likes kicking up a fuss that could end up with the seller recieving big fines and courts etc. I have put this information on so the seller can cover his own back should he want to. I have not harmed or offended anyone or as stated i am not on a power trip i just like offering advice on legal issues to do with cars which is what i do on a few forums. So my question to you is what would you prefer- having someone on the forum to offer this kind of advice or would you just prefer to be left to it and risk serious fines etc should anything come back to you?

Thanks for replies

rubachuk
17-02-10, 09:45 AM
Personally it really pisses me off that there are idiots driving round in high power car with undeclared engine changes, and I think there is a case for not allowing these cars to be advertised for sale on the site. Some cars are sold as unfinished projects and it is impractical to declare the engine change before it goes back on the road and in that case I don't really have a problem, but that comes down to the individual completing the project.

With regards to your legal advice, I think whoever advertising a car with an undeclared engine and pushing that as a positive selling point deserves all the spam/free legal advice/abuse they get.

ianglanister
17-02-10, 10:04 AM
I totally agree, thanks for your reply.

General Baxter
17-02-10, 10:15 AM
ian, i know where your comming from but the dvla are tossers

my 1.6 16v is STILL a 1.2 8v on the book, and thats 1 year of trying

i went from a 1.2 to a 1.4 that was ok, then put the mini valver in,
the log book come back with the orginal 1.2 in, sent off again, 1.4, then 1.2 again, then a 1.8, and so on, there ****ing dumb asses

so because i had it on a 1.2 log book, i should of not sold it to luke ?

are you going to go onto EVERY ebay add and report it, **** like this happens, aslong as they dont crash into you,

MK999
17-02-10, 10:16 AM
took me about 4-5 months to change mine, I even have a log book on my wall that says I once owned a 16 litre nova

ianglanister
17-02-10, 10:17 AM
i know what you are taking about with the dvla however i offer advice to people on car forums, people dont have to take it that it up to them, just wanted to see if people actually listen/wanted to hear the advice

General Baxter
17-02-10, 10:18 AM
i dont think they would want advice, i think they know what there doing tbh

burgo
17-02-10, 10:18 AM
ian, i know where your comming from but the dvla are tossers

my 1.6 16v is STILL a 1.2 8v on the book, and thats 1 year of trying

i went from a 1.2 to a 1.4 that was ok, then put the mini valver in,
the log book come back with the orginal 1.2 in, sent off again, 1.4, then 1.2 again, then a 1.8, and so on, there ****ing dumb asses

so because i had it on a 1.2 log book, i should of not sold it to luke ?

are you going to go onto EVERY ebay add and report it, **** like this happens, aslong as they dont crash into you,

meh like i care. engine was the first thing to come off

General Baxter
17-02-10, 10:19 AM
meh like i care. engine was the first thing to come off
thats what i mean, ianglanister is saying i should not of sold it to you anyway lol
im very sorry ian, iv been a bad boy,
even tho it was fully insured and HIC were fully aware the problems i was having with the log book

id also like to point out

10. Members and Forum Users buy and sell using the classifieds section at their own risk with no responsibility or guarantees offered by PNG or Novaload.

ianglanister
17-02-10, 10:21 AM
yes thats fine if the insurance know fair enough, but its people who dont attempt to declare the engines/ tell insurance

doesnt matter now i wont be offer any advice
thanks

Stuart
17-02-10, 10:48 AM
baxter, stop being gay!

Ian, we all know you mean well and 99% of us understand about the legallities of being a tossbag regarding engine swaps, but that 1% wont ever listen and wont care... do stay but let the dickwads get into trouble.

ammusingly you are on 999 posts at the moment lol

General Baxter
17-02-10, 11:08 AM
baxter, stop being gay!

:cry:

ianglanister
17-02-10, 11:36 AM
Stuart- Thanks for that mate, i am going to stay on the site but will NOT be offering any more advice unless someone PM's me asking for it. i was just very very shocked at how some people thought it was all a big joke. On other forums i have never had a reply like any of these, which is why i started doing it on here as it was appreciated by alot of people on other forums.
so if anyone does want any advice please pm me otherwise it wont be on here.

Jack
17-02-10, 11:39 AM
I agree with the impracticalities of declaring an engine swap until a "project" was roadworthy. However, the law states that

Where the keeper of a vehicle believes that the particulars in the registration document issued in respect of that vehicle are, or have become, inaccurate, he shall forthwith notify the Secretary of State of the inaccuracy.

This means if you do not update your logbook, you are breaking the law, simple as that.

Those of you who give the old "oh I tried for months but DVLA get it wrong" excuse, don't be such pansies. For a start, if you're going over the 1.5 litre tax band you should be doing it at a DVLA local office, in which case you speak to a proper person who records all the details - if they get it wrong you go back and complain and ensure they do it correctly.

Ian, you're doing the right thing by reminding people of their legal obligations. Don't forget though, as the old saying goes - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. At least you've done your bit.

burgo
17-02-10, 11:39 AM
Stuart- Thanks for that mate, i am going to stay on the site but will NOT be offering any more advice unless someone PM's me asking for it. i was just very very shocked at how some people thought it was all a big joke. On other forums i have never had a reply like any of these, which is why i started doing it on here as it was appreciated by alot of people on other forums.
so if anyone does want any advice please pm me otherwise it wont be on here.it would have kinda helped if you had made it obvious that i assume you know alot on the subject?

ianglanister
17-02-10, 11:42 AM
i know a fair bit, i want to get into the traffic section and always have so i started learning early. i dont know everything but i do know alot of things.

AlexW
17-02-10, 01:11 PM
The people who do the 1.6 and above engine changes and dont put it on the logbook annoys me, Insurance is even more annoying.

My nova wasn't declared on the logbook (1.4, was 1.2), but it was on the insurance, I know i was breaking the law by not changing the engine number, but i wasnt trying to sell the car to a un-suspecting buyer, nor was it a 1.6 (X14XE stamped into my block for a couple of people who have said its a 1.6....), Now if i keep it and conner doesn't buy it, il be fitting a 1.6 which will be on the logbook, even though il have to hand over £200+ for tax :(

MK999
17-02-10, 01:13 PM
The people who do the 1.6 and above engine changes and dont put it on the logbook annoys me, Insurance is even more annoying.

My nova wasn't declared on the logbook (1.4, was 1.2), but it was on the insurance, I know i was breaking the law by not changing the engine number, but i wasnt trying to sell the car to a un-suspecting buyer, nor was it a 1.6 (X14XE stamped into my block for a couple of people who have said its a 1.6....), Now if i keep it and conner doesn't buy it, il be fitting a 1.6 which will be on the logbook, even though il have to hand over £200+ for tax :(

years tax on 1550+ is 190

AlexW
17-02-10, 01:14 PM
I know, but april it goes up.

Jack
17-02-10, 02:45 PM
...which is annoying as my tax is due in May lol

Doesn't matter if you're selling or not, if you have incorrect information on the V5 then you're breaking the law.

I'm going to murder a tramp, but its not illegal as nobody knows him lol

MK999
17-02-10, 07:25 PM
...which is annoying as my tax is due in May lol

Sorn it, rejoin the queue at DVLA, and tax it lol

Jon_nova1
17-02-10, 08:09 PM
I think people know what they are doing when they don't declare mods etc, as for the fiesta in question, i'm friends with the owner, i know he would have been too damn lazy to bother getting the logbook changed lol

mr5050
18-02-10, 09:27 PM
Ian, if you are going to be joining traffic, which tbh with you , i really dont think the country has enough money during this recession to pay for another brand new bmw or range rover for you to swan around in pulling 17 yr old's over for having a car with an un-insured spoiler and air filter, could you do me a favor and ask them to sort there attitudes out, forgive me if im wrong but by british law you are innocent until proven guilty? so why is it that in my encounters with the law im immediately treated like a criminal and spoken to like an unloved butt-plug? however, your advice is valid:thumb: