PDA

View Full Version : turbo or throttle bodies

my nova
16-02-10, 11:32 PM
iv got a nova saloon with a std let in it my mate wants the car but im not sure if i should sell him it with the let in it or put a xe in it. i was going to keep the let to fit in my other nova but now im thinking of goin xe with throttle bodies i want the car for road use and just a few trips up the pod now an then what would people say are best as iv neva had a go in a nova with throttle bodies so i dont want to waste a lot of money if they are not going to be as good as the let. thanks for the help.:thumb:

jimbonov4
16-02-10, 11:35 PM
U wont get better power and torque out a N/A than a Turbo,
So i would be sticking with the Let matey...

Paul
16-02-10, 11:38 PM
for road and pod, you just cant beat a turbo.

my nova
16-02-10, 11:49 PM
thats what i was thinking mate but there is sum xe doin some fast times up the strip now with no lag

Paul
16-02-10, 11:57 PM
on the road a turbo will kill a TBd car, and at santa pod 99% it will too

jimbonov4
16-02-10, 11:59 PM
thats what i was thinking mate but there is sum xe doin some fast times up the strip now with no lag

Yeah maybe but how much doh is in it?

My mate has a corsa, steviet293's brother
Standard internals, turbo, injectors, phase 4 remap, front mount, custom pipework, custom 2 1/2 exhaust just been dyno'd at 270fwhp,
cant knock that!!!!!lol

wwmnw
17-02-10, 12:35 AM
Yeah maybe but how much doh is in it?

My mate has a corsa, steviet293's brother
Standard internals, turbo, injectors, phase 4 remap, front mount, custom pipework, custom 2 1/2 exhaust just been dyno'd at 270fwhp,
cant knock that!!!!!lol

Seems a bit low on power tbh, SBD sell a throttle body kit for the C20XE that is good for 290 bhp iirc, so 270 @ the front wheels with them mods sounds a bit down on power, but then again I don't know much about turbo engines.

As for the thread, you cant beat the sound of throttle bodies at full chat, but a high power turbo'd car would be alot faster, alot of C20LET's out there keeping pace with expensive sports cars.

Welsh Dan
17-02-10, 12:53 AM
A 2 litre NA engine peaking at 290bhp won't really deliver until high up in the rev range. A relatively lesser tuned LET should have been kicking out more power from lower down in the rev range, and therefore be faster.

wwmnw
17-02-10, 12:57 AM
^ That be true, would be some mad cams in a 290 bhp XE, turbo power wins in the end for outright power, for noise though, throttle bodies, although I've never been in a home made high power turbo car so shouldn't really comment but I love the noise of throttle bodies.

MK999
17-02-10, 08:41 AM
290 is a swindon race engine at around 27k, sbd's kit alone is a good 190 maybe

Big_Chap
17-02-10, 10:11 AM
Turbos give more power per £££ but tbs are literally fit and forget! With no mods required to the car (hacking bumpers n crossmembers for front mount, f28 box mod etc) kick it's face in then park it in the garage and no sweating about reliabilty etc.

I was pondering this choice years ago and went tbs in the end. Your choice though!

Linch
17-02-10, 10:31 AM
Unless you want some big trumpets, then out comes the grinder to the bulkhead lol

Personally I love Throttle Bodies, If it is mapped correctly there should not be that much loss of low down torque depending on the engine, my engine made better torque right through the rev range, sure it wont be as much as a turbo though.

Stuart
17-02-10, 10:31 AM
thats a little bit of a vauge statement though... if built right a turbo engine will take a reaming and be reliable too.

if you are selling the car, do what ever gets you the most money.

Big_Chap
17-02-10, 10:43 AM
thats a little bit of a vauge statement though... if built right a turbo engine will take a reaming and be reliable too.

if you are selling the car, do what ever gets you the most money.

dunno if that's to me or not but he didn't mention building engines.

Linch, you don't need to attack the bulkhead, I have 90's with a tweaks elsewhere!

Linch
17-02-10, 11:02 AM
I had to remove the bulkhead on my corsa b, 30degree manifold with 120mm Jenveys and 90mm Trumpets, But I had the Plate for the filter Modified to sit Further up the trumpet stack, on a x16 also, wasn't a 20xe mate :)

Big_Chap
17-02-10, 11:21 AM
Ah corsas are a bit tighter for clearance, one of the reasons I went for the direct to head style was for clearance plus they fit at the head angle giving even more clearance.

vaughanmc
17-02-10, 11:32 AM
TB's just for the noise :thumb:

Paul
17-02-10, 11:53 AM
A turbo sounds much better than TBs IMO

MK999
17-02-10, 12:29 PM
depends on the engine/exhaust system, but there's merits for both, personally I'd love a car that sneezed atm lol

Linch
17-02-10, 03:06 PM
Depends if the throttle bodied engine has other modifications for sound, like solid lifters, double valve springs and cams, my dbilas bodies sounded nothing like my jenveys.

craig green
17-02-10, 03:16 PM
But then the dilberts were prolly on std management??

A turbo'd engine will be better suited to road driving & traffic light GP's etc, wheras a TB'd motor is better for out & out track driving, more progressive in corners & probably more reliable for thrashing, assuming rev limit isnt too high for internal engine components.

Personally I prefer turbo's, far torquier, can be driven lazily or thrashed. But overall faster day to day.

Linch
17-02-10, 03:30 PM
Nope, gotech mfi pro, same as I had with the Jenveys, Might be because I still had a bulkhead with the dbilas ones....who knows.

Big_Chap
17-02-10, 04:57 PM
Will surely be down to the inlet plenum baffling the roar? Where as typical jenvey setup will have a thin layer of foam or nothing?!

blue_peg_16v
17-02-10, 04:59 PM
let has so much more torque even in standard form than a tuned xe ive had a 196bhp xe and the let even on standard boost is so much quicker and alot easier to get more power out of, id keep the let and sell the loon with an xe

Paul
17-02-10, 05:18 PM
beat this NA crew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtprH9Srmk&feature=related)

Linch
17-02-10, 06:00 PM
Will surely be down to the inlet plenum baffling the roar? Where as typical jenvey setup will have a thin layer of foam or nothing?!
I ran the dbilas with trumpets and sock filters.....binned the stupid plenum lol

youtube.com/watch?v=aXYiTbN09l8

(sorry for no link less than 15 posts)

Sound!!!

t45_ste
17-02-10, 06:29 PM

Thats a funny looking let nova?

Who's is it?

wwmnw
17-02-10, 06:43 PM

Who's is it?

Mine, paid £500 for it.

Adam
17-02-10, 06:46 PM
For road and pod use, go turbo.

For track,in a nova, id stick NA tbh!! Lighter front end, Less problems with wheelspin etc etc....
Or a low boost turbo

Rickardo
17-02-10, 06:48 PM
After owning a Let Nova, i must say turbo power is immense.

The sound of tb's is awesome also, but for sheer grunt.. Turbo all the way.

Next time i want waste gate chatter instead of a dump valve..

You cant beat it..

Paul
17-02-10, 06:49 PM

Who's is it?

We're comparing noise fo a turbo to TB's

Adam
17-02-10, 06:51 PM
A standard let nova would go well on track IMO.
Plenty of power/torque, but only 8/9psi so you dont get a huge surge of torque giving traction issues!!

But yeah turbo engines does sound fcuking awesome!!

t45_ste
17-02-10, 06:51 PM
We're comparing noise fo a turbo to TB's

Sorry, forgot that nice sounding cars are quicker :p

Paul
17-02-10, 07:03 PM
Read the whole thread mate

t45_ste
17-02-10, 07:04 PM
Read the whole thread mate

I have lol

Just pulling your leg

Hence the :p

Lee H
17-02-10, 07:16 PM
LET with phase 2 can be had for the same money as a set of throttle bodies on an XE. Far more power and torque from the turbo so much better for Santa Pod etc.

I couldn't justify spending over a grand on TB's to end up with only 190bhp.

Big_Chap
17-02-10, 08:42 PM

meh, who needs 4 wheel drive & anti-lag?....:tumble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-6O9s4VBOE

Benn
17-02-10, 08:57 PM
LET with phase 2 can be had for the same money as a set of throttle bodies on an XE. Far more power and torque from the turbo so much better for Santa Pod etc.

I couldn't justify spending over a grand on TB's to end up with only 190bhp.

And the huge ill running you'll get with tbs from cold...

Still haven't seen one run right from cold yet.

MK999
17-02-10, 10:47 PM
And the huge ill running you'll get with tbs from cold...

Still haven't seen one run right from cold yet.

Guessing that's a management rather than TB's problem, most will not bother with mapping for cold, it costs money for no real gain. And i'm also guessing the reason this problem is not present in a turbo is the turbo is a nice little intake heater for the cold weather.

Benn
18-02-10, 07:40 AM
Either than its still there. Jamie F of mig spent 6k+ on his tbs, got 220ish brake and was still crap at starting in the cold.. And the ecu didn't like the heat either..

Turbo all the way.

blue_peg_16v
18-02-10, 10:29 AM
6k on tbs jesus you could have a well specked let for that

Adam
18-02-10, 04:10 PM
TBH if my TB conversion was going to cost what a normal tb conversion does, id be fitting a let tomorrow, and just sticking it on phase2 chips, frontera ic etc.
But my tb conversion currently stands me at £410 lol

And if my car saw a lot of road use i wouldnt be fitting the bodies either.

Linch
18-02-10, 04:42 PM
I got my bodies and everything for a secret price, but unless they were gold plated a dont see how it can cost 6k.

Paul
18-02-10, 05:01 PM
it totally depends what you want, round a track mine is hopeless, 1/4 its good and road its untouchable :d

Linch
18-02-10, 05:31 PM
Totally agree with you mate, its all on the application you want the car for, with my corsa I handed a c20let corsa its own **** on some roads with twists and roundabouts, but then we came to a long straight where he pulled past me, pulled me over and the two lads were saying they thought mine was a let too, and that they would be gutted if it was a xe, I told them it was a xe, and they were very disappointed, then totally shocked when I said yeah......16xe lol

my nova
18-02-10, 06:58 PM
thanks every1 i think i will keep the let

Adam
18-02-10, 08:20 PM
round a track mine is hopeless,
But fcuking bonkers fun!!!!!! :cool::cool:

Could you not turn the boost right down though (single figure psi) and "only" have about 200-220hp to keep it more driveable?

Its hardly going be slow at 220hp but should stop you wheel spinning around the track ?

Stuart
18-02-10, 10:40 PM
Jamies TB build was emmense... proper headwork by folks who know their stuff, lairy cams and valvetrain to suit etc. I can easily see how it came to 6K

poor cold running is down to the calibration... and lets face it you wont want to leave your car overnight to get nice and cold for the mapper to get one or two goes at getting cold start right @£50-100 per hour are you. You will go for most used driving parts of the map and the power run. The rest is guess work and tidying up if it can be done.

I'd do my own cold start work but thats after a mapper has done the rest of the shizzle.

but didnt the OP ask if its best to keep his let engine or put an XE in for his mate to buy.... imho do what nets the most cash lol

Paul
18-02-10, 10:42 PM
But fcuking bonkers fun!!!!!! :cool::cool:

Could you not turn the boost right down though (single figure psi) and "only" have about 200-220hp to keep it more driveable?

Its hardly going be slow at 220hp but should stop you wheel spinning around the track ?

Actuator only is about 12-13psi or so, which i did do in the afternoon, and to be fair it felt as though it was flying to me, wasnt actually wheelspinning too much.

Linch
18-02-10, 10:45 PM
This is my mates tb'd 1.6, I think you will agree the sound is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laEDplXfCyk

Benn
18-02-10, 10:46 PM
J's was just one. Mark's (when Nick) owned it, at Billing he has to sit reving it to keep it running. I've seen a few people having to do this. I know its down to the fact no one sets up the cold start and has the mapping set to run that. But ts just poo cause of that in my eyes.

For all the money spent, i'd want it running/idling right when hot or cold.

6k on tbs jesus you could have a well specked let for that

Jamie had alot of spec and just over 230brake.

Linch
18-02-10, 10:48 PM
I mapped my own cold start, when the car was cold, just whipped the laptop out and adjusted it :)

Stuart
18-02-10, 10:51 PM
I mapped my own cold start, when the car was cold, just whipped the laptop out and adjusted it :)

but you only get a few chances a day to get it right consistently etc... hence why you get a rough setup and then left with something cak 90% of the time.

I'm all about drivability but when there is 9/10 times a huge cost in having someone else do it, then its not worth chasing unless you learn how to do it yourself and sort it properly.

I'd just lob it in a cold box and have some real cold start fun :d

MK999
19-02-10, 11:50 AM
This is my mates tb'd 1.6, I think you will agree the sound is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laEDplXfCyk

It is, the rev counter is pretty funny too :)

There is however something to be said for a turbo engine too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73wSoIkX3LI I like how a high end turbo engine sounds rough as hell until you hit the power, almost like they're not happy until they're above 3000 rpm :d