PDA

View Full Version : C16XE into a Nova GSI

sparky
16-02-10, 07:52 PM
Just wondering how hard this is, I understand that the driveshafts are the same on it goes on the standard engine mounts, but what about wiring etc.....

Also wondering if this would de-value a fairly good condition Nova GSI?

Also, is it worth the conversion, I know my car has some minor running problems, but they can be sorted, so is it worth the effort?

I know that the C16XE engine can be picked up cheap and I'm sure I'll sell my E16SE on here in no time, especially if I repaint and re-gasket it before I sell it.

Any comments apreciated

Sparky

Lee H
16-02-10, 08:03 PM
Wiring is easy, only 6 wires to connect if its the C16XE without the immobilised ECU.

I don't think the conversion is really worth it for the extra 9 bhp unless you plan to tune the 16XE. Never really understood the fascination with these engines to be honest.

Southie
16-02-10, 08:09 PM
My advice is keep what you've got if it's a simple fix. As Lee says for the small amount of power you'll see it will hardly be worth it. Also it would be nice to know someones keeping there's original IMO.

I've put a C16xe in my 1.2 so that is worth it lol

There's a how to in the Articles btw ;)

sparky
16-02-10, 08:12 PM
Yeah I noticed the how to guide. In any event my engines gotta come out, its leaking 2 different types of oil, one is normal engine oil colour the other looks pink???

sparky
16-02-10, 08:15 PM
Isnt the 16v lump more reliable and maybe quieter sounding?

Lee H
16-02-10, 08:15 PM
Transmission fluid at a guess.

AlexW
16-02-10, 08:22 PM

Depends tbh, I had no end of problems with my 16v, but i did get it sorted, and it now runs sweet!

As said, if your modding it, worth it. If not, stick with the 8v.

Southie
16-02-10, 08:24 PM
Answer to the first sounds like it's gearbox oil.

Secondly I've had both 8 and 16v and they are engines so basically it's the luck of the draw. I've had a bit of bad luck with mine so not the best to ask really. Mine is running pretty damn good now though.

If you know your existing engine has been running okay I'd stick to it. If it's starting to smoke and use oil then maybe it's time for a change, be aware though 16v engines are also renowned for being oil burners.

craig green
16-02-10, 08:28 PM
I wired my C16XE straight into the loom plug in the bay for the E16SE on my GSi. Full details in my WIP.

sparky
16-02-10, 08:41 PM
Smoking a bit I suppose, I guess if I were to go to the effort of sticking a 1.6 16v into it, I'd be inclined to change the rings anyway. Existing engine isnt running great, but its most likley more to do with the actual setup of the engine than the engine itself. It always starts up first turn of the key, its just running lumpy.

Thought it was gearbox oil, so the engines coming out anyway, so if I can get a 1.6 16v cheap enough I'm sure it would be worth the swap over, I'm pretty sure I'd get good money for my engine.

sparky
16-02-10, 08:43 PM
Cheers Craig I'll have a look at that.

sparky
16-02-10, 08:47 PM
Really want to give this Nova a chance, its got good bodywork, but the running probs are getting me down a bit tbh. Fun car to drive, would like to keep it.

Southie
16-02-10, 08:47 PM
If you do change then make sure you get the C16xe wiring loom then you don't have the hastle of the immobilser transponder issues which occur.

The early Corsa GSI engines are the C16xe, the later are X16xe them same as the Corsa sports, also the X16xel are from Astras and Vectras.

sparky
16-02-10, 09:28 PM
I wont bother with the x16xel, gonna try for a GSI lump. Would do a 2.0 XE but scared of the money it could cost me.

sparky
16-02-10, 09:29 PM
couldnt find your WIP Craig

Southie
16-02-10, 09:34 PM
couldnt find your WIP Craig
Here it is. http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66674

sparky
16-02-10, 09:37 PM
cheers. :)

jonn
17-02-10, 11:09 AM
i used the x16xel engine out of a vectra. its a easy enough engine conversion to do.

sparky
17-02-10, 04:24 PM
I'm gonna give my E16SE a chance, bought gaskets, cambelt, water pump and paint.

Gonna take it out clean up the engine bay, respray it clean the engine, paint the engine re-gasket it and chuck it back in.

Should I use any silicone with the gaskets, I did on my Mini Turbo, but should I this time round, I have a nice driveway and dont want oil stains.

sparky
19-02-10, 05:50 PM
No one seems to sell the gearbox gasket, do I use something else? Also, do I use silicone on the gaskets?

craig green
19-02-10, 06:47 PM
You can use high-temp instant gasket on the faces of the rocker & sump gaskets.

What g/box gasket? One for the sump (lower pan)? Cut your own from gasket paper.

Are you not stripping it right down?

sparky
19-02-10, 06:56 PM
I'm stripping the whole think down yeah, not removing pistons or valves I dont think, I looked at it today and couldnt see any smoke coming out. I dunno what gearbox gasket, never had one of these apart before.

I'm still toying with the idea of a c16xe, but I'll rebuild my engine so it fetches more money if I sell it.

craig green
19-02-10, 06:58 PM
Its not a rebuild if you dont remove the pistons or bearings...
Too many rebuilds on the net are of the engine getting a lick of paint. LOL that wont help it on to 200k miles!

sparky
19-02-10, 08:45 PM
Well good thing my engine doesnt have 200k on the clock, if it needs rings and bearings, I'll do them, but if there not broken, theres no point in fixing them. An engine thats been separated, re-gasketed painted must be better than a dirty one straight out of a car with oil leaks.

My engine runs sweet, it just ticks over lumpy which cant be that much of a big deal, it pulls hard in every gear when being driven, and there are no knocks or funny noises.