PDA

View Full Version : springs

Morton
16-02-10, 05:22 PM
is there much different in brands eg. jamex koni avo eibach
any real bigg difference atal ??im running yellow billies in a rally car going to lower it about 30mm ..any advice welcomed thanks

mowgli
16-02-10, 05:43 PM
of the above list, i'd say that jamex is the odd one out, as the others actually make decent springs.....

but let the debate begin

General Baxter
16-02-10, 05:45 PM
apex springs are much beter metal, then avo's

had trouble cutting them lol

Morton
16-02-10, 05:46 PM
soo what should i go for then ??out off all spring manufacturers
???

Nova_Tek
16-02-10, 05:51 PM
There are differences between brands and normally the price reflects that. Stuff like GMAX and Pi tend to generally be regarded as cheaper brands tend to be stiff and uncomfortable but they are the cheapest way to lower the car.

Brands like Koni, Avo are high quality with the likes of Eibach and H&R regarded as the top end of the spring market. They sometimes don't always lower as much as the other brands but they probably have the best ride comfort and quality.

Only way to really give an opinion is to use them but generally speaking many people will tell you to steer clear (pardon the punn lol) of GMAX and Pi.

I personally use H&R and I can't speak highly enough. They are very good quality and very comfortable but then again I paid plenty for a set.

Morton
16-02-10, 05:53 PM
comfort isnt a problem its handling ...as its for rallying .

Nova_Tek
16-02-10, 05:59 PM
If it's for rallying then any old kit won't do I guess. You're best bet is to probably check out http://www.coilsprings.co.uk/ and see if you can get a kit made to your spec.

MK999
16-02-10, 06:03 PM
bilsteins seem to be the most popular choice for rallying, the 'standard' looking kit rather than coilovers, B10 seems to ring a bell?

Morton
16-02-10, 06:05 PM
there bilstein yellows beleive they are b8-b10 or somthing yeah just two struts and dampers was £550 for them though need a set off springs now .

George g
17-02-10, 12:21 AM
See if you can get some off ebay. Avo, bilstein and h&r are all good makes and are used in rallying, just make sure you get the poundage correct - that's the important thing. It's mostly tarmac stuff you will be doing ain't it? See if you can get some nova tarmac specs and see what kinda springs they ran and chat to others in the same championship. Hth

Rysee
17-02-10, 12:29 AM
of the above list, i'd say that jamex is the odd one out, as the others actually make decent springs.....

but let the debate begin

I agree

A lad i know has a Corsa with Jamex suspension, full lowering kit, the body roll is so bad i had to ask his mate if he'd cut the springs and used standard shocks

He was in front of me and swerved side to side and nearly hit the curb and looked as if his barge was going to capsize, I did the same... no body roll at all

My old hatch had yellow Bilsteins and I really can't fault them they were just as good as my coilovers but less harsh

MMM spax

GRUNT 16V
17-02-10, 10:42 AM
Eibach all the way !! great quality

mowgli
17-02-10, 10:45 AM
comfort isnt a problem its handling ...as its for rallying .

OH MAN!!!! have you got a lot to learn.....

Stuart
17-02-10, 11:12 AM
give GAZ a call and ask for some silicon steel springs (assuming they can source them for a nova)