PDA

View Full Version : rear seatbelts

grooge
15-02-10, 06:44 PM
right, I've got an 84 sr and it has no seatbelts in the back. The other night I was stopped by the police for having someone in the back without a belt and told I would need to fit some. Is this right? They didn't have time to talk to me as they got a call through but warned me they would do me for it if they saw me do it again. So basically I want to know if I need to fit rear seatbelts if I want to have anybody in the back or if they were talking out their ****. It wasn't traffics, it was just a panda car that stopped me. Cheers:thumb:

Johnny A
15-02-10, 07:18 PM
ok I am no expert but I am pretty sure if it didn't have them as standard and it's before 1985 its not a requirement??

AlexW
15-02-10, 07:20 PM
^Correct, If they wernt fitted when new theres no need for them. Same reason older stuff dont have front ones still.

If you want to fit them, which is a good idea, your just need belts from a later car, the holes etc are all there in your car from factory.

grooge
15-02-10, 07:27 PM
cheers. I wasn't going to fit them anyway just wanted to check what the score with them was.

mowgli
15-02-10, 07:27 PM
grooge, did you get a receipt or a producer for it?????

if so, then you can write a letter to the police officers telling them that they are wrong, or google something on seatbelt laws & keep it in your gloveboot

Jon_nova1
15-02-10, 07:57 PM
what these say i was told when i queried a friends 2 litre conversion one...when i was sat in the back lol

you don't by law have to fit them, but you can if you wish, but on fitting them, they will be MOT testable, not fitting them doesn't put you at any legal disadvantage

vx kev
15-02-10, 08:36 PM
Its the same for anything MOT related really! If the car wasnt fitted with any items from the factory I.E. on say a pre 86 motor they dont need to have side repeaters if not fitted, not seatbelts if not fitted, no passenger wing mirror if not fitted etc. etc.
So basically if it legally legitimately passes an MOT then its legal for the road :thumb:
You cant argue with the coppers but they should really know better!!!!!!!!

grooge
15-02-10, 09:53 PM
mowgli, I didn't and I have also thought of the info in the glovebox idea. I thought I was right but just wanted to check as I have no intention of fitting them, i like it as it is, it hardly ever has people in the back and I can't be bothered fitting any.

Policewoman mentioned something about the car not being pre 73, is that the age for front belts maybe??

Johnny A
15-02-10, 09:55 PM
Thats the age for tax exempt lol

Police women - Know your limits!!!