PDA

View Full Version : side repeater hole

nova danny1
15-02-10, 04:32 PM
i've just got a brand new GM wing for the nova but it's got no hole for the side repeater.I just wondered if anyone knows the exact measurements/dimensions of the hole or the best way to do it so i can cut it out properly.

burgo
15-02-10, 04:36 PM
cant you take a template off the old wing?

L33 LEG
15-02-10, 05:12 PM
Leave it without a repeater :wtf:

I don't have any, the front indicators wrap around the side anyway.

Connor
15-02-10, 05:17 PM
Leave it without a repeater

:d :thumb: :d :thumb:

burgo
15-02-10, 05:22 PM
might look abit having a repeater on one side and not the other

w88rdy
15-02-10, 05:46 PM
Just template the other wing dan, im sure jay can get you a tape measure lol

nova danny1
15-02-10, 10:25 PM
i can't use the old one as a template because then i will have to cut it up and can't put the new one on until it's painted.unless i drive without a wing for a day:wtf:

Asa-James
15-02-10, 10:26 PM
measure out from top edge to centre of hole, back of wing to centre of hole. should give you a fairly good idea where it is. failing that, open up a cornflake packet, bend/cut to shape of wing and use that as a template.

think man!

vaughanmc
15-02-10, 10:30 PM
Speak to your MOT tester if your taking the side repeaters off lol Some say there needed some say there not

nova danny1
15-02-10, 10:42 PM
think man!

can't,that hurtslol

brucer
15-02-10, 10:57 PM
Speak to your MOT tester if your taking the side repeaters off lol Some say there needed some say there not

Mk 2's you can and mk 1's you cant. The indicators wrap round more on the mk 2s.

Also, that wing you have is an early mk 1 wing. Please dont drill it!

brainsnova
15-02-10, 10:59 PM
early mk1's never had them :D

vaughanmc
15-02-10, 11:02 PM
All depends on the MOT tester as well though...There fitted for a reason and I suppose they should be fitted

Depends if your tester knows Nova's or not lol Mine does...!

Pete
15-02-10, 11:04 PM
i have a mk1 wing sitting in my garden that i can measure for you if that helps?

L33 LEG
15-02-10, 11:05 PM
All depends on the MOT tester as well though...There fitted for a reason and I suppose they should be fitted

Depends if your tester knows Nova's or not lol Mine does...!

Most don't though and same goes with the coppers. Aslong as you sound sure whilst explaining what's what i can't see there ever being a problem. I don't have any on my nova and i will not be told by a random tester that i need to have them lol

nova danny1
15-02-10, 11:10 PM
Also, that wing you have is an early mk 1 wing. Please dont drill it!

i know mate but it's the only one that i can find so it's getting it:d

nova danny1
15-02-10, 11:11 PM
i have a mk1 wing sitting in my garden that i can measure for you if that helps?

it's ok mate i'll make a template out of something but thanks anyway:thumb:

brucer
15-02-10, 11:11 PM
If you stand at the back of the car and step one meter out sideways and see the front indicator then its ok. Mk2s u can and mk1s you cant. Simples.

But as you said, some testers would claim they have to be fitted though. Ill be running my mk 1 with out side reps. :-)

Pete
15-02-10, 11:12 PM
it's ok mate i'll make a template out of something but thanks anyway:thumb:

No problem buddy, if you need me to then just let me know :thumb:

nova danny1
15-02-10, 11:13 PM
No problem buddy, if you need me to then just let me know :thumb:

ok thanks.

Pete
15-02-10, 11:14 PM
If you stand at the back of the car and step one meter out sideways and see the front indicator then its ok. Mk2s u can and mk1s you cant. Simples.

But as you said, some testers would claim they have to be fitted though. Ill be running my mk 1 with out side reps. :-)

about the mot and side repeater issue, i know a bloke who owns an MOT garage and he deals with alot of modified cars, he lets them through without side repeaters on the basis that the covers are blue tact on but aslong as you cant see the blue tack, he then takes a picture for refrence if anything comes up about them etc.

I dont know if its legal to do so or what have but its a possibilty?

nova danny1
15-02-10, 11:18 PM
i'll be keeping the side repeaters because 1. it looks better and 2. it means i'll have to get a wing without one for the other side and this one has been hard enough to find.

brucer
16-02-10, 10:42 AM
about the mot and side repeater issue, i know a bloke who owns an MOT garage and he deals with alot of modified cars, he lets them through without side repeaters on the basis that the covers are blue tact on but aslong as you cant see the blue tack, he then takes a picture for refrence if anything comes up about them etc.

I dont know if its legal to do so or what have but its a possibilty?

If the lenses have been blue tacked on then they have to work, if they wernt then they arnt a testable item aslong as you can see the front indicator from the back a meter out from the car.

I work in a test station so im not spouting hear say.

Danny- weld up the other hole. ;-)

burgo
16-02-10, 11:22 AM
i can't use the old one as a template because then i will have to cut it up and can't put the new one on until it's painted.unless i drive without a wing for a day:wtf:no you muppet!!! by template i mean you get a big piece of paper and position it so it over laps certain points of the wing, like the back edge, the top crease and the arch. tape it on with a couple of bits of masking tape and then you can mark out those specific points on the paper aswell as the side repeater hole. now carefully take it off (dont use much tape) and then you can line it up on the new wing and you know exactly where the hole is supposed to be :d

Pete
16-02-10, 12:13 PM
If the lenses have been blue tacked on then they have to work, if they wernt then they arnt a testable item aslong as you can see the front indicator from the back a meter out from the car.

I work in a test station so im not spouting hear say.

Danny- weld up the other hole. ;-)

Its just the way the bloke works, i dont ask many questions to him if im honest, but its how he does it, im pretty sure that if people have stuck them on he classes them as working, not 100% sure tho.

brucer
16-02-10, 01:02 PM
But you check the lights on a test so he would see they arnt working. Never mind hey.

brainsnova
16-02-10, 01:06 PM
pin the tail on the donkey then drill that point :D

Jack
16-02-10, 02:32 PM
Just stick some universal LED lights on the wing

johnny_turbo
16-02-10, 02:41 PM
just had a look on the mot notes on these at work if the reg is before 1986 and a couple of months after jan 86 plate they dont need them for the mot.

Jon_nova1
16-02-10, 04:58 PM
you don't need wing indicators if you have wraparound indicators, my car doesn't and its never failed an MOT, and it got through the SVA test fine on import without them

nova danny1
16-02-10, 07:13 PM
no you muppet!!! by template i mean you get a big piece of paper and position it so it over laps certain points of the wing, like the back edge, the top crease and the arch. tape it on with a couple of bits of masking tape and then you can mark out those specific points on the paper aswell as the side repeater hole. now carefully take it off (dont use much tape) and then you can line it up on the new wing and you know exactly where the hole is supposed to be :d

thats what i'm going to do mate:thumb:

nova danny1
16-02-10, 07:13 PM
pin the tail on the donkey then drill that point :D

i was thinking thatlol