PDA

View Full Version : Full exhausts.

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 10:35 AM
I have a 1.2 but have the full exhaust sytem off an sr, including the manifold. If i was to get a performance exhaust system what would it have? Does a full system include the 2 into 1 downpipes, centre section and back box? If so would getting a GTE performance system fit the 1.3sr Manifold? How does mixing and matching exhaust system work. What fits what?? :roll:

NovaNeil
09-04-03, 12:44 PM
A full exhaust system tends to be from the Manifold back, and if you have a CAT its called a CAT back System. If you want a performance Exhaust your best off finding one for an SR as it will fit your Manifold. I used to have a 1.3SR and brought a Janspeed mild steel Exhaust System for ?130 from demon tweeks. I think the only variation between an SR and GTE system is where the tailpipe pokes out at the back and possible a slightly larger diameter pipe :?: , so you theres no real point buying a System for a GTE to fit to your car. If your just after a bit more noise from your car just fit a backbox as a full Performance Exhaust system on a 1.2 will hardly make any noticeable difference in the form of a power gain.

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 12:49 PM
I have allready got the SR exhaust and manifold on my car. So should i just get a performance SR exhaust or not bother. Is the Sr exhaust allready doing enough for the 1.2 engine performance wise? Should I just get a Ashley or Sportex back box for a bit of noise and looks??

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 02:23 PM
Is the Sr exhaust allready doing enough for the 1.2 engine performance wise? total vauxhall seem to think so.

best option other than buying a zorst

u cud c more gains, but not a HUGE amount i dont think

Dicko
09-04-03, 02:32 PM
basically there are a few different types.
1.2/sr/gte/sri,gsi

non of the parts from any of these are interchangable except maybe the backbox. anotherwords the downpipe off an sr wont fit the manifold, and the get system wont fit an sr downpipe.
you can get backbox, which is ust the backbox
system, which is the centre section and backbox
cat back system, which goes from your cat and includes a backbox
full system which includes 4 branch manifold, system and backbox.
with a 1.2 you would be best to use an sr manifold+downpipe then use a performance system+backbox as a 4 branch manifold will NOT benifit you at all!!

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 02:37 PM
when you say 4 branch you dont mean a 4-2-1 do you?

I have got an SR 4-2 manifold and then the SR 2-1 down pipes and Sr center and backbox. Is this what i should have?

I will leave the Sr system on and just get a back box. Too much messing about otherwise for not much more performance.

Dicko
09-04-03, 02:41 PM
i mean an aftermarket manifold/downpipe which is in 1 piece, anotherwords it has an increase in airflow over the original.
this cuases more bhp top end but reduces torque below around 4k rpm.
on a 1.2 i dont even think it increases the bhp top end!

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 02:44 PM
I totally understand now. I will use my existing 4-2-1 manifold and downpipe of the SR and then get a performance centre section and backbox!! :) :D :lol:

Dicko
09-04-03, 03:07 PM
good plan, make sure its the right model/year of the car that the manifold/downpipe came off

ZuG
09-04-03, 04:14 PM
I thought you could interchange them?
I was told from another member of these boards that you could have a GSI or SRI manifold( as they are the same), onto a GTE center section and any back box.

Dicko
09-04-03, 04:18 PM
well gsi/sri are pretty much interchangeable, except some gsis have a lambda and some dont, so the manifold might b diff, and some gsis have a cat and some dont. all depends which year really.
also the downpipes are a little diff. the cat version has an extra bracket to hold the weight of the cat

Aragorn
09-04-03, 07:30 PM
a GTE downpipe will fit the GSi and SRi manifolds

a GTE center section will fit the SRi/GSi downpipe

the GTE/GSi/SRi stuff is all very similar

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 07:57 PM
I am still going to stick with my plan! :D