PDA

View Full Version : Waxoyl

Edd
15-02-10, 01:57 PM
Not sure if this in the right section but,

Does anyone know of a good way to remove Waxoyl ?

someone has filled the battery tray up on my Sr that i picked up, yes it will stop it rusting but i want it gone.

Thanks in advance Edd.

mowgli
15-02-10, 02:03 PM
hot air, solvents, steam cleaning???

craig green
15-02-10, 02:20 PM
Err thinners. I thought you used it on everything anyway? (unless it doesnt touch the stuff ofcourse)

Andy
15-02-10, 02:22 PM
Thinners

Edd
15-02-10, 02:27 PM
used thinners (of course lol ). VERY hard going tho, might try my steam cleaner on it tho.

Andy
15-02-10, 02:28 PM
Use a hot air gun THEN thinners.The otherway round could result in an inferno lol

Edd
15-02-10, 02:29 PM
Use a hot air gun THEN thinners.The otherway round could result in an inferno lol

i like fires, but no near my nova lol

Andy
15-02-10, 02:30 PM
I wouldnt recommend fire via thinners lol Its volatile as fukk!!

craig green
15-02-10, 02:31 PM
Steam cleaner could be the way forward. I hate body schultz & waxoyl type stuff. so MESSY & UNATTRACTIVE. iN BOX SECTIONS ITS FINE, BUT NOT IN WHEEL ARCHES OR ON PANELS.... (doh, CAPS)

Andy
15-02-10, 02:33 PM
Its garbage anyway,i would only use it in sills etc.

mowgli
15-02-10, 02:43 PM
we use it on telescopic arms on jcb forklifts & diggers as a grease....

Edd
15-02-10, 02:47 PM
we use it on telescopic arms on jcb forklifts & diggers as a grease....

there is some use for it then lol

Royston
15-02-10, 04:55 PM
Steam cleaner is the way.

When I started to restore the SR I fully stripped the shell and spent a day with the steam cleaner inside and out removing the waxoyl I sprayed on over the years!, strips it off no problem, and no fire risk!!

Not nice stuff when your welding nearby, a) it melts and drips on you, b) it catches fire easily!

Mike
15-02-10, 05:04 PM
On a bare shell i use a blowtorch an scraper.

On a complete car i use a hot air gun.

Andy
15-02-10, 07:39 PM
Steam cleaner is the way.

When I started to restore the SR I fully stripped the shell and spent a day with the steam cleaner inside and out removing the waxoyl I sprayed on over the years!, strips it off no problem, and no fire risk!!

Not nice stuff when your welding nearby, a) it melts and drips on you, b) it catches fire easily!
Christ does that hurt!!!!!!!!

vaughanmc
15-02-10, 07:44 PM
Do you mean actual Waxoyl or thick black Underseal type stuff ? As the Waxoyl I use should just wipe off with a duster and thinners...

Underseal will need some serious attention but Waxoyl should be easy to remove

kempy
15-02-10, 08:00 PM
Ive used 'uni-part bake, clutch and parts cleaner' i found it takes it off great. plus if your a lil bit sloppy with it and get it on paint it don't damage it lol

Jon_nova1
15-02-10, 08:08 PM
If your going to paint it use a wire wheel on a grinder/drill, i know someone that did this to the underside of thier car (well i helped) and it was amazingly easy

craig green
15-02-10, 08:12 PM
Ive used 'uni-part bake, clutch and parts cleaner' i found it takes it off great. plus if your a lil bit sloppy with it and get it on paint it don't damage it lol

pound shop brake cleaner was what i used to rid my turrets and arches of schultz actually.

Royston
15-02-10, 09:04 PM
Christ does that hurt!!!!!!!!

YES:mad: lol

Royston
15-02-10, 09:08 PM
Do you mean actual Waxoyl or thick black Underseal type stuff ? As the Waxoyl I use should just wipe off with a duster and thinners...

Underseal will need some serious attention but Waxoyl should be easy to remove

Underseal is a different issue, scraper, wire brush

But regarding waxoyl.......

I personally think using thinners to remove waxoyl isn't a particularly good iidea.

You could wash the waxoyl/thinneres ito a seam your are trying to repair, amybe OK on a flat panel, at least a steam cleaner will remove it, as long as you can get th lance in.

Novasport
15-02-10, 11:56 PM
White spirit is the best thing to remove Waxoyl. Disolves it without damaging anything else as thinners will damage any paint finish underneath.

amggsi
16-02-10, 10:38 AM
The whole underside of my Sport has been done in Waxoyl, have the nice job of getting it cleaned off for Billing, but am going to redo it with the clear stuff afterwards, can't see it doing any harm!

vaughanmc
16-02-10, 10:42 AM
I done underneath my Nova as well with Waxoyl, I put it on quite thick as well just before the winter and all the grit started :)

Seems to have/be working fine

I'm not even going to be taking any off lol

Novasport
16-02-10, 01:44 PM
The Sport I am getting has black Waxoyl all over the undersIde of the car and cavity wax in the panels. I am leaving it on as its preserved the car perfectly for 25 years, just going to re-apply it I think in summer as its getting thin in places now.