PDA

View Full Version : interior lighting help

adam2472
09-04-03, 09:48 AM
i ave a space in the boot and glove box to fit lights like the 1 which come on when u open a door. i got some from up scrapie but not to sure how to wire em up.. i wana have them on when sidelights and/or main lights are switched on..

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 10:14 AM
As standard the lights in the Glovebox and boot come on when the ignition is on and the glovebox or boot is open. If you take the glovebox out or boot lining there might be the wiring in the loom under the dash to add yours. If not then it could be a little more tricky.

adam2472
09-04-03, 10:24 AM
ive already had a lookie and there aint nething... i was wondering if i could run a feed of another circuit like when wiring in a head unit.. however i think it wud be bit harder there is 2 connections from the bulb and not to sure how to connnect it into a existing circiut...

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 10:32 AM
If you were to do if like you say from the haed unit you would need to use the switched live from your ignition. Have you got the switch so it goes on and off when you open/shut the glovebox? take the live from your head unit as said to the switch and then to the bulb unit. Take the other end of the bulb unit and run it to earth. In theory this should work but it might draw too much current trough the circuit and keep blowing the fuse and it might be advisable to put an in line fuse in the live from you head unit to the bulb to stop the cable getting hot and creating a massive dash heater!!

adam2472
09-04-03, 10:41 AM
rite,, i just had a thought wouldi need to run them in a series or parallel circuit.. (thinking back to me gcse physics days :P ) or is this totaly wonrg??>.

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 12:01 PM
if you spur it from the head through the light then down to earth then it will be parallel. Thats what you want cos then the voltage remaians the same but the current is divided. This is the way to do it. Same as spot lights etc etc.

If you did it in series which would be very silly and much harder cos you would have to take the live to the head unit then from the earth of the head to the live of the light then to earth. Then the current would be the same but the voltage would drop. THIS IS NOT HOW TO DO IT!!!

Its all to do with Kirchoffs law of current division!!

National certificate electrical engineering! :wink:

adam2472
10-04-03, 09:47 AM
oki,, i kinda understand what ya mean.. i just drawn a quick picture in paint is this rite??..

http://www.geocities.com/ad2472/diag.jpg

Nova-Boy
10-04-03, 10:11 AM
that picture isn't working. upload it to novaload albumand do if from there.

MattyWoo
10-04-03, 10:23 AM
the wires for the glove box light are there already, if u take out the glove box and look up towards the top of the dash there should be a black wiring loom and there are a few brown wires tucked out of the way somewhere around there, these are for the glove box light and switch

adam2472
10-04-03, 11:17 AM
hrrmmm,, how do i upload em onto the novaload album??

adam2472
10-04-03, 11:24 AM
lol.. i just found how to do it

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=646

and if that dunt work here is the link

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_view.php?id=646

Alex
10-04-03, 12:12 PM
thats a pretty picture. And yes that should work

Nova-Boy
10-04-03, 12:28 PM
Yeah thats in Parallel like i said. Have a good look on the loom before you start wiring in case it is hiding there somewhere!!

mikeoxford
10-04-03, 05:33 PM
Yeah thats in Parallel like i said. Have a good look on the loom before you start wiring in case it is hiding there somewhere!!

the glovebox one is there for definite.

as for the boot im unsure, but i would have though so to be honnest with you

AW3K
10-04-03, 10:47 PM
The glove box wire is there.

Look for 2 brown wires going into a U shapped connector and 2 single wires. 1 brown and one either grey or black.

The u shape connector is for the switch and the other 2 are for the light it self.

they are tapped to the loom so grab the loom and feel it all within the area of the glove box.

Mine was there on a 1.0L trip which is the base model!! same goes for the fag lighter and clock wires.

the boot light is quite easy to install assumimg that your car is a mk2.

The switch is a little more harder to instal as you need to support the boot open with either a person or a bit of wood.

Remove the bent metal securing pin from the ball joint of the gas support and pull the ball joint off the ball stud.

Remove the pillar trim and the boot trim on the passangers side.

Undo the ball stud and put the switch onto the stud and re tighten.
The length of wire must be attached to the switch and it must be dropped down the piller to the bottom. Attactch the wire to the NEG terminal of the light.

The positive wire(red) should be in your car already behind the trim comming from the loom.

Replace all the trim pannels and ur done.

The boot light works when the engine is off as well as on.

Hope it helps

AW3K

adam2472
12-04-03, 06:39 PM
oki.. i found the u shape connector with the 2 brown wires but couldnt find the actuall wires to connect to the light.. do the have black connectors on the end to connect it to the light??.. if so im preety sure there not there i practically pulled all that crapy sponge tape of every wire threre.. so casue im not using the fag lighter i ran a feed from that to the light. is this ok or is there any better way of doing it?

AW3K
12-04-03, 09:39 PM
oki.. i found the u shape connector with the 2 brown wires but couldnt find the actuall wires to connect to the light.. do the have black connectors on the end to connect it to the light??.. if so im preety sure there not there i practically pulled all that crapy sponge tape of every wire threre.. so casue im not using the fag lighter i ran a feed from that to the light. is this ok or is there any better way of doing it?

if you found the u shaped connector then the other two wires should have been connected to that same part of the loom.

Dunno about the feed from the fag lighter. sorry

AW3K

mikeoxford
12-04-03, 11:48 PM

if you found the u shaped connector then the other two wires should have been connected to that same part of the loom.

Dunno about the feed from the fag lighter. sorry

AW3K

if you have the two, the other two will be there somewhere, check in daylight there not tucked up anywhere, you wouldnt have one without the other though - pointless