PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear

jamesburrows
09-04-03, 08:31 AM
Both my front tyres are worn on the inside edge but not on the outer edge. What would cause that and how can it be fixed? would it just be tracking or could it be caused but the 60mm lowering springs?
cheers

burgessovsalford
09-04-03, 09:35 AM
Yep you will just need your tracking doing... about ?15 at your local garage. When you fitted 60mm springs you should have had your tracking done striaght away then you would'nt have had uneven tyre wear.

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 09:41 AM
Also it could be to do with the cambre of your wheels now its lowered. Check out the cambre mod in the tech info section.

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 02:35 PM
camber

to an extent, id keep some of the camber on the wheels

kep your foot planted round the bends more :twisted:

Dicko
09-04-03, 03:30 PM
ye it seems to b a prob on novas, mine is lowered 45 and just ate tyres when i had the 1.6 16v in, killed them on the inner edge. tracking was spot on though.
after i did the camber mod (7mm) it was much beter and the car feel quicker and more responsive in turns but still wears the inner edge more than the rest of the tyre

Benjoyce
09-04-03, 03:32 PM
same prob here, big style camber. where can i find the camber mod?

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 03:36 PM
In the articles section under chassis

Benjoyce
09-04-03, 03:39 PM
found it! i think i'll get me dad to do it this week.

Dicko
09-04-03, 03:41 PM
ye, bascially jack up fromt end, loosen the 2*13mm nuts each side. and use a rotary powertool or a round file to elongate the hole so the studs from suspension sit 5mm-10mm closer to the wing.
its not essential but once your happy with the position make a mark as to where the washer are, then drop the suspension again and get the washers welded on. that way they canno move around in the hole and it looks tidier.

make sure you get your tracking done after you do this mod!!

Benjoyce
09-04-03, 03:43 PM
some places won't track your car tho coz there instruments can't get over your tyres. go to a place that use the old style tracking system, laytech i think its called? quick fit and places like taht won't do it

elsey197
09-04-03, 05:23 PM
loosen the 2*13mm nuts each side. and use a rotary powertool or a round file to elongate the hole so the studs from suspension sit 5mm-10mm closer to the wing.

Dicko the nuts your talking about are these the ones at the top of the shock inside the engine bay??????? :roll:

Ste_Nova
09-04-03, 08:05 PM
1mm per 10mm of lowering.... or more if your bottom arm bushes are shagged.... witch they will be if u havn't replaced them :lol:

as can be seen here... i redrilled 7mm then fitted gsi top plates

http://www.kevw.com/gallery/Cars/Stes_Novas/thumbs/550stes_novas%20008.jpg

novashed
09-04-03, 10:44 PM
whatever you do DONT buy the regal kit, ive got its SHITE and now i cant do anyting as ive drilled the shock holes

jamesburrows
10-04-03, 01:19 PM
Cheers! I'll do the camber mod then get the tracking done. All fun