PDA

View Full Version : nova not starting. help....

msdtja
14-02-10, 08:56 PM
right where do i start????
bought this mk 1 1985 1.2 last year. 1st ,head gasket went. so got it skimmed and back on .all done properly.
ran around in it for a while,then didnt touch it for a mth during cold weather.
went to start it, running on 3 cylinders..done compression test, all ok. changed carb,distributer,dizzy cap and roter,leads n plugs,coil(everything i think) after all that still on 3 cylinders .then just wont start at all.
i took fuel pump pipe off that goes to carb and no petrol comes out when cranked,so i poured small amount down carb,still wont start...
im thinking fuel pump naffed but after pouring petrol into carb it should fire shouldnt it, or am i totally wrong. any help or suggestions welcome. thanx tony

ianglanister
14-02-10, 08:57 PM
are you getting a spark when you try and crank it over?

just looked again and noticed you changed coil etc so you should be, but just to confirm

msdtja
14-02-10, 08:59 PM
yes.took each lead off 1 at a time, got a spark on each 1

Damo
14-02-10, 08:59 PM
right where do i start????
bought this mk 1 1985 1.2 last year. 1st ,head gasket went. so got it skimmed and back on .all done properly.
ran around in it for a while,then didnt touch it for a mth during cold weather.
went to start it, running on 3 cylinders..done compression test, all ok. changed carb,distributer,dizzy cap and roter,leads n plugs,coil(everything i think) after all that still on 3 cylinders .then just wont start at all.
i took fuel pump pipe off that goes to carb and no petrol comes out when cranked,so i poured small amount down carb,still wont start...
im thinking fuel pump naffed but after pouring petrol into carb it should fire shouldnt it, or am i totally wrong. any help or suggestions welcome. thanx tony

Sounds like distributor of something along those lines mate check for a spark when cranking.

This should be in mechancal also?

Poss move mods?

Damo.

Damo
14-02-10, 09:00 PM
yes.took each lead off 1 at a time, got a spark on each 1

Plugs could be choked up take them out and give them a clean down mate.:thumb:

puss puss
14-02-10, 09:00 PM
Check spark on each cylinder when you crank it over,

take each spark plug off and get a bit of rubber pipe that will fit in where the plugs go, get someone to crank the engine while you sniff the pipe to see if it smells of petrol :)

or

http://www.autobarn.com.au/AB_images/products/images/prod_1232073298.jpg

Disclaimer : Dont sniff petrol for to long or you will be up with the fairys

ianglanister
14-02-10, 09:02 PM
Disclaimer : Dont sniff petrol for to long or you will be up with the fairys

sorry that just made me laugh, have you done anything with timing belt for it to slip? are all the ht leads going to the right plugs? (ive made that mistake before)

msdtja
14-02-10, 09:03 PM
done all of above,i think its fuel related but you could be right,maybe dizzy.ive tried 2 tho

msdtja
14-02-10, 09:05 PM
i did belt when i did head .might check belt again 2mora. should fuel pump out with pipe to carb off when i crank it.im not getting any .£15 in tank as well

puss puss
14-02-10, 09:06 PM
done all of above,i think its fuel related but you could be right,maybe dizzy.ive tried 2 tho

pipe and sniff it is then :thumb:

puss puss
14-02-10, 09:07 PM
i did belt when i did head .might check belt again 2mora. should fuel pump out with pipe to carb off when i crank it.im not getting any .£15 in tank as well

Yes

msdtja
14-02-10, 09:07 PM
Plugs could be choked up take them out and give them a clean down mate.:thumb:plugs were very sooty.cleaned them and changed carb to a known good 1 set up right

msdtja
14-02-10, 09:09 PM
pipe and sniff it is then :thumb:ill try that as well mate

msdtja
14-02-10, 09:15 PM
the pump that ive got on car has a pipe on opposite sides of each other and a thick black plastic gasket goes between pump and engine. i have a spare 1 but the pipe connections are both on same side staggered and a thinner spindle,also wont fit thru black thing.can i nuse this pump with a cardboard gasket and not use black thing or will be wrong.also the spindle thickness

ade
14-02-10, 09:25 PM
my SR does this when really cold weather - condensation and damp in air causes oil to go all sludgey and thick - occasionally wont start and then runs lumpy till I floor it in neutral then it clears. I replaces basic electrics (rotor arm, dizzy, plugs, ht leads etc), changed oil/filters. Also fitted standard bin lid back on to carb (have a weber 32/34). now runs a dream...

I reckon its plugs - if compression good and spark to each and fuel in each then dirty plugs or gaps perhaps...

msdtja
14-02-10, 09:30 PM
ive changed all of that tho. unless its fuel pump,.the carb thats on it is a pierburg 1 pot thing. ive tried 3 differant carbs as well.ive got all spare parts but no fuel pump the same.

msdtja
15-02-10, 02:45 PM
all sorted,running a1 again. put a brand new fuel pump on at cost of £23.50 and bang she fired after about 20 seconds. took it out for a good run,sweet. thanx for help every one. now im getting it sold