PDA

View Full Version : redtop rebuild

michael squeak
14-02-10, 05:37 PM
started taking my engine apart today so looking for some recomendations for good replacement parts.. gasket sets, bolts, bearings etc..

thanks mike

nova_saloon
14-02-10, 06:30 PM
what as in you want to know what to replace or you want good places to get the parts from?

Damo
14-02-10, 06:36 PM
what as in you want to know what to replace or you want good places to get the parts from?

Think he means part manufactures like FAI/PAYEN etc.

Payen are a good make ive always used them they seem to last too.

nova_saloon
14-02-10, 06:38 PM
yeh though so myself. and if you can afford it go for payen. Just had a full headgasket set from them. So nice. Quality is deffinatly worth it

bmw156
14-02-10, 06:47 PM
check out my WIP, has loads of info about rebuild and parts to buy.

and i used ebay i think for all my parts

michael squeak
14-02-10, 06:58 PM
i took the head off today.. found out it was a cos cast head so :thumb: leaky valves so going to take it to the local machine place whos going to take check the valves out and see how they are, ive took cams etc out and laid them out neatley ..

going to get the head sorted then crack on with bottom end

michael squeak
14-02-10, 07:05 PM
is there a differnce in late/early parts?? i think mines early. whats the best way of telling??

Damo
14-02-10, 08:52 PM
is there a differnce in late/early parts?? i think mines early. whats the best way of telling??

The way to tell mate is.

If its got a coscast head it will probabily be out of a mk2 astra gte or very early mk3 gsi and it should have no lambda sensor and be dissy type ignition. eng code: 20XE

The next ones were dissy type also but came with a lambda but very few were coscast most were GM heads and were found in the mk3 astra, cav and calibra. eng code: C20XE

Late ones are coilpack type with a GM head and came in astra mk3 and calibra. eng code C20XE

Damo.

Iain
14-02-10, 10:48 PM
The early/late differences affects cambelt/cam pullies/waterpump/oil pump but I haven't found anywhere listing different parts for gaskets and internals.

michael squeak
15-02-10, 06:46 PM
ive got a coscast head with no lambda and dissy type ignition.. early one then :).. thanks lads

*Dave*
15-02-10, 06:51 PM
autovaux do all parts ond very good prices, mostly genuine parts too.

i highly recomend them.

Plug
15-02-10, 06:53 PM
pm steveboyslim for rebuild parts