PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack - column flexible coupling problem

garethcolley
14-02-10, 03:51 PM
Im having problems connecting the coupling up to both the rack and the steering column. The angle that the rack shaft comes through into the car at isnt the best and because of this slight misalignment i'm struggling to get the coupling onto it once its attached to the column and vice-versa. Has anyone encountered this problem and out of interest is it actually possible with the rack bolted in? I've tried pulling the column back etc and ive spent about an hour trying to get it to fit.

I only noticed that it wasnt already attached after i put the engine in a few months back so im concerned that i might have to pull the rack out slightly to get it all to connect. This wouldnt be a big concern if i had a standard engine but unfortunately the LET with an F28 is a major headache and i do think i'd have to drop the engine (nightmare with comp mounts).

Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks

Iain
14-02-10, 03:57 PM
I remember this being a bit of a pig too. The way I do it now is to unbolt the column, connect it up and bolt the column back in to place. Might be easier said than done if the column has never been out before tho.

garethcolley
15-02-10, 01:20 PM
I remember this being a bit of a pig too. The way I do it now is to unbolt the column, connect it up and bolt the column back in to place. Might be easier said than done if the column has never been out before tho.

Iainel - Thanks for that, although due to the space i've got to work in that does not sound easy. Im currently working on my back with my head at the pedals and my legs in the air! I'll have to have another look this week.

GRUNT 16V
15-02-10, 01:41 PM
Remove The Pinch Bolt ( The One That Is On The Bottom Of The Coloum / Top Of The Uj) Then Slide It Up Then Down Over The Steering Rack Connection Worked Every Time For Me

garethcolley
15-02-10, 01:44 PM
Remove The Pinch Bolt ( The One That Is On The Bottom Of The Coloum / Top Of The Uj) Then Slide It Up Then Down Over The Steering Rack Connection Worked Every Time For Me

Yeh i've tried it both ways (Sliding down and sliding up). Pinion shaft seems at a slight angle and it just wont happen.

General Baxter
15-02-10, 03:10 PM
Im currently working on my back with my head at the pedals and my legs in the air! I'll have to have another look this week.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Trax-combe%2009/scott.jpg

garethcolley
15-02-10, 05:36 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Trax-combe%2009/scott.jpg

lol Exactly that but with the door shut!