PDA

View Full Version : Bank transfer questions

L14MNP
14-02-10, 11:47 AM
Is this a trustworthy process? Anything to dodge Paypal to be honest.

A guy wants my gearbox so is going to deposit £300 into my bank account. Obviously I have to give him my account number and sort code (LOL).

What's the deal?

let_nova
14-02-10, 11:49 AM
i use it quite often. only pay via this method if i know and trust them, or there a well known png member. dont know how it works trying to get money back

L14MNP
14-02-10, 11:54 AM
That's the thing I don't know the guy. TBH he is putting just as much trust in me. He has to hope I post the 'box and I have to hope he doesn't claim (or try to) his money back once the deal is done.

I assume he can do that if he asks his bank to cancel it maybe?

I wish it was someone I knew/trusted mate. Then I wouldn't have asked. :)

nova-taken
14-02-10, 11:59 AM
with my bank (tsb) the transfer cant be cancelled after 24 hrs, but i did something similar to you before dude, and got totally scammed.

be careful

Pistol Pete
14-02-10, 12:00 PM
Not got another account you could give him details of? One thats not used for day to day stuff. I'd be wary of handing over bank details to an unknown person.

For abit extra i'd arrange to meet and do a cash on collection arrangement and piece of mind.

bmw156
14-02-10, 12:01 PM
for me on lloyds as well, you only give your name, sort code and account number, can people do dangerours things with that info lol.

isnt the imposrtant number the 3 digit code on the back. for internet purchase anyway...

L14MNP
14-02-10, 12:09 PM
BMW, Yeah the 3 digit code is needed as well as start and expiration dates and even the card number for some online transactions I guess.

Pete, he's right at the bottom of the country. It's not a viable option mate. I was going to use a spare account I have and just withdraw the money straight away anyway. So I suppose he couldn't take it straight back. He could still complain to his bank and eBay (for whatever reasons) I guess though... I still prefer this over using Paypal!

I will have to find his exact details and see if it's possible to deliver in person, but I'm sure he's too far away for me to be able to do it for the £50 courier costs. :/

nova-taken, cheers fella. You have to be wary of everythign and everyone these days don't you.

Pistol Pete
14-02-10, 12:12 PM
Spare account FTW. Assuming its a legit and hassle free transaction he will have no reason to want the money back.

L14MNP
14-02-10, 12:15 PM
Yeah dude. It's all above board my end, and he seems sound on the phone - but don't they always. I also worry incase the 'box is damaged in transit or he says it is, or he fits it and blows it to pieces then he could claim it was lunched before he got it etc. I need to get my mitts on a BlueMotion Polo and take it there myself. lol

Also, it was my suggestion in the advert (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150406689980&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT) that Paypal be avoided. He had offered PP or bank transfer, whichever I prefer.

Pistol Pete
14-02-10, 12:28 PM
Wheres the winning bidder located, just out of interest?

L14MNP
14-02-10, 12:34 PM
Devon mate. 800 mile round trip lol

I have been mulling over sending the stuff to my mate in Taunton and then having him run it down. It will still leave me a bit out of pocket but I woulc be assured he gets everything fine and there's no cash comebacks etc.

brainsnova
14-02-10, 12:45 PM
get him to send a cheque :D takes longer but piece of mind.

Jon_nova1
14-02-10, 01:28 PM
name, 8 digit account number and sort code is fine from a "i don't want fraud going on with my account" point of view

Jack
14-02-10, 02:20 PM
name, 8 digit account number and sort code is fine from a "i don't want fraud going on with my account" point of view
True, with that infomation he can't really do diddly squat. Except maybe set up a direct debit in your name (assuming he can manage that without proving his ID), in which case you just cancel it lol

Come to taunton and spend a day in my company :wisewood: