PDA

View Full Version : odometer?

Alex
08-04-03, 06:48 PM
dunno if that is the name, but the counters showing the cars millege has suddenly stopped for no reason. where does it get this reading from so i can have a look at it.

Chris LR
08-04-03, 09:02 PM
I thought it was related to the speedo cable, but thats just me being stupid I think.

mikeoxford
08-04-03, 10:05 PM
I thought it was related to the speedo cable, but thats just me being stupid I think.

nope ur spot on

check all the internals of the clocks

Alex
09-04-03, 12:38 PM
right, i got digital dash, so i take it that it is the transducer. I will have a look now. cheers lads

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 12:41 PM
I have got a normal sr dash and when you do below about 30mph the bastard thing makes little clicking noises every time the cable spins round! Is it fixable or should i just turn the stero up?

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 02:28 PM
right, i got digital dash, so i take it that it is the transducer. I will have a look now. cheers lads

NOPE

i can GARUNTEE the problem with the digidash is the pin holding the dials in place is come undone.

you need to take the clocks apart, and make sure the pin that has a load of cogs on it that turn the dials, make sure its in place.

garuntee its that - hapand a lot and also happened to me

i put superglue in the whole

DONT GET IT ON THE COGS! :roll: before pushing the rod home, and then gave it a good whack with a centre punch

jobs a gudden

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 02:29 PM
I have got a normal sr dash and when you do below about 30mph the b*****d thing makes little clicking noises every time the cable spins round! Is it fixable or should i just turn the stero up?

lubrication of the dials / internals

and also spray some lube down the centre of the speedo drive cable

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 02:35 PM
Another problem is that i have changed the clocks from the 1.2 to sr ones but have like added 30,000 miles to the car. (I recorded the milage when i first put them on and have the old clocks so i still know how much the car has done). If i take the clocks apart to clean and lube should i try and change the milage to what it should be or will it never work properly again? If it can be done how do you do it?

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 02:36 PM
yes you can, and it will become evident when you take them apart.

other than that

reassemble etc etc

and put an electrical 240v drill on the speedo drive, click the handle in so its on constant, leave it for 20 mins, come back itll have gone round the clock

Nova-Boy
09-04-03, 02:42 PM
I tried that the day i put them on and it seemed to take ages. Does it not do any harm runing the clocks in reverse? I thought thats what could have caused the clicking in the first place? :?

mikeoxford
09-04-03, 04:23 PM
I tried that the day i put them on and it seemed to take ages. Does it not do any harm runing the clocks in reverse? I thought thats what could have caused the clicking in the first place? :?

lol yes it is they go one way and one way only afaic

put the electric drill on the same direction as the gearbox goes ;) so the mileage goes up over 100 thou, and round the clock

Alex
10-04-03, 02:39 PM
i can GARUNTEE the problem with the digidash is the pin holding the dials in place is come undone.

you need to take the clocks apart, and make sure the pin that has a load of cogs on it that turn the dials, make sure its in place.

nope not that. i took the dash apart and could not see what was wrong. I poked it a bit with a screwdriver, put it back together and it now works. Wierd!

Nova-Boy
10-04-03, 03:09 PM
If i am gonna take my clocks off and play arround with them i might as well change the bulbs cos there poop. Does anyone know where i can get some LED ones from or the part number for standard ones?

mikeoxford
10-04-03, 05:46 PM

nope not that. i took the dash apart and could not see what was wrong. I poked it a bit with a screwdriver, put it back together and it now works. Wierd!

was the poke that did it ;) cogs had probly turned half a tooth or something

mikeoxford
10-04-03, 05:47 PM
If i am gonna take my clocks off and play arround with them i might as well change the bulbs cos there poop. Does anyone know where i can get some LED ones from or the part number for standard ones?
a guy on migweb.co.uk sells kits to do anything u want, dashes, switches etc etc

Nova-Boy
10-04-03, 07:53 PM
I may give it a try! Thanks

Hope i didn't steal your topic Alex :wink: sorry!