PDA

View Full Version : painting dash

Gibbo
12-02-10, 04:50 PM
is there paint that will not flake off or is it ok to use car paint
and any tips :thumb:

Pistol Pete
12-02-10, 05:22 PM
I guess you would want to primne it first. Or at least key it. The type of material wont lend itself to paint sticking. I'm guessing its a mk2 dash BTW!

Johnny A
12-02-10, 05:49 PM
You can buy special vinyl spray paint for dashboards and the like, I got a few black cans from halfrauds years ago which did a whole Mk2 grey dash. The finish was amazing and lasted few a few years before I sold the dash on, you could scratch it and it wouldn't come off.

Iain
12-02-10, 06:04 PM
Halfords vinyl paint, as said. Mine was done with it too.

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP/72b.JPG

Gibbo
12-02-10, 11:07 PM
thanks lads so just rub down with some pre paint and just spray on the vinyl paint

Damo
12-02-10, 11:14 PM
thanks lads so just rub down with some pre paint and just spray on the vinyl paint

Try to scotch it back mate with an old sponge scourer first to give the paint something to stick to but dont rub too hard obviously.

Iain
13-02-10, 10:06 AM
I didn't do any of that, just cleaned it with some spirits. I think the paint kinda soaks in to it anyway - mine was fine, you could dig your nail in to it and everything.

Damo
13-02-10, 10:21 AM
I didn't do any of that, just cleaned it with some spirits. I think the paint kinda soaks in to it anyway - mine was fine, you could dig your nail in to it and everything.

Yea true it was just basically to say make sure it had no grease or anything on the surface so the paint wouldnt stick:thumb: .

Damo.