PDA

View Full Version : rolling road results

tashley6
12-02-10, 02:17 PM
ive just had my 2.0 8valve (seh) rolling roaded and the results are down by about 10 to 15 bhp due to running realy rich at lower rpm causing the engine to flood and kangaru at 2400rpm! then u have to back off a little to get it going again! it has a kent cam four to one manifold and induction on it! been told it could be the little blue sensor on the back of the block causing it to do this? could anyone confirm this? or has any other solution? thanks ash

craig green
12-02-10, 02:21 PM
That blue sensor is the CTS (coolant temp sensor) it tells the ECU how hot or cold the engine is via the temperature of the coolant. These get fouled up aswell as deteriorate inside & go awol, sending wrong readings to the ECU.
It may be that & they are definately worth replacing.
I did the same to an 8v Astra GTE a couple years ago & it reduced the kangaroo'ing greatly. I'm not convinced these engines like 4 branch manifolds though.

tashley6
12-02-10, 02:28 PM
well to be honest i didnt realy notice much diffrence whit the manifold mabey just a bit more torque on botton end power nothing to rite home about! but will change the CTS i cant imagine thay cost a grate deal! the car ran 131.8 bhp and 107lbf.ft which i dont think bad for an old engine and a bonus when the bloke doing it stated due to the kangaru i will have lost 10 to 15 bhp through it losing momentom makes me pleased

craig green
12-02-10, 02:34 PM
Get the sensor changed. You can get pattern ones for less than a tenner but I would get a genuine Bosch item tbh. Try Vauxhall but they always say they need a vehicle chassis number despite having the engine no. Approx 15 punds from Vauxhall stealerships iirc. Liklihood is your car will run like a dream with a new sensor.

Let us know. CG

tashley6
12-02-10, 02:58 PM
will get it done this weekend and keep you up dated thanks pal

Adam
12-02-10, 03:21 PM
well to be honest i didnt realy notice much diffrence whit the manifold mabey just a bit more torque on botton end power nothing to rite home about! but will change the CTS i cant imagine thay cost a grate deal! the car ran 131.8 bhp and 107lbf.ft which i dont think bad for an old engine and a bonus when the bloke doing it stated due to the kangaru i will have lost 10 to 15 bhp through it losing momentom makes me pleased
So you are exptecting it to make 10-15bhp UP on 131.8 bhp??

What cam is it? It might be the cam causing the bad running

tashley6
12-02-10, 04:48 PM
We'll that's what the bloke says! Cose of the brake in the run and loss of momentom it put a massive dip in the power curve

The cam is an ast14 kent cam

tashley6
12-02-10, 04:52 PM
Sorry about the multi posts comp playing up

*edit* what multiple posts ;) - burgo

cheers pal

tashley6
13-02-10, 03:31 PM
today i have changet the CTS and ther is no change what so every any other idea on what could be causing the problem? its no big deal as i drive normaly nothing happens! only when im in 4th or 5th doin less than 2200rpm when i push the throttle hard only is it doing it! any ideas???????

tashley6
13-02-10, 03:34 PM
So you are exptecting it to make 10-15bhp UP on 131.8 bhp??

What cam is it? It might be the cam causing the bad running

well im not complaining at the 131bhp its just its nice to have the car running at its best really i wouldnt be bothered if ther was no increase in bhp!! cam is a ast14 any idea if it could be that?

Damo
13-02-10, 05:36 PM
well im not complaining at the 131bhp its just its nice to have the car running at its best really i wouldnt be bothered if ther was no increase in bhp!! cam is a ast14 any idea if it could be that?

Shouldnt be the cam ash unless it needs an ecu remap to function properly have you got the management light wired up if so does it show any faults? could it be the throttle position sensor or owt?

Damo.

craig green
13-02-10, 05:57 PM
today i have changet the CTS and ther is no change what so every any other idea on what could be causing the problem? its no big deal as i drive normaly nothing happens! only when im in 4th or 5th doin less than 2200rpm when i push the throttle hard only is it doing it! any ideas???????

What about the wires connected to the CTS sensor? If they are frayed or perished at all, that is the same as a duff sensor. Just check it out, & all the loom for that matter. It sounds overkill but it is old & they can suffer abuse & wear n tear.

As for the power figure, these 18E's were 115ps when new, so yours is more than healthy. The kangarooing may be pulses from the inlet affecting the AFM, which is unavoidable unless the AFM is further from the TB or you use the std camshaft. (only a suggestion)

Damo
13-02-10, 06:05 PM
What about the wires connected to the CTS sensor? If they are frayed or perished at all, that is the same as a duff sensor. Just check it out, & all the loom for that matter. It sounds overkill but it is old & they can suffer abuse & wear n tear.

As for the power figure, these 18E's were 115ps when new, so yours is more than healthy. The kangarooing may be pulses from the inlet affecting the AFM, which is unavoidable unless the AFM is further from the TB or you use the std camshaft. (only a suggestion)

Its a 2.0lt seh craig i know the lad he lives near me.:thumb:

craig green
13-02-10, 06:05 PM
Sorry, was thinking its an 1800 8valve. I'm still dreaming about the 18E in the FS section (me want).

Damo
13-02-10, 06:13 PM
Sorry, was thinking its an 1800 8valve. I'm still dreaming about the 18E in the FS section (me want).

lol That one that makas got for sale ive seen it will make someone a good engine that great engines prefer them to the 2.0lt variants.

craig green
13-02-10, 06:18 PM
Yes me too. When I first got into Novas back in 96 or therabouts, I wanted an 18E powered Nova, not an XE. They were great engines in the Astra GTE's & mk2 Cav Sri's.

Damo
13-02-10, 06:22 PM
Yes me too. When I first got into Novas back in 96 or therabouts, I wanted an 18E powered Nova, not an XE. They were great engines in the Astra GTE's & mk2 Cav Sri's.

Al agree with that mate same work as an 8v/XE but much more bomb proof IMO.

craig green
13-02-10, 06:34 PM
Oh I dunno, XE's are bomb proof, they go on to silly mileages really, considering how high they rev, always come back for more. Its only bodged conversions or poorly mainatined stuff that gives up on them.

Damo
13-02-10, 06:40 PM
Oh I dunno, XE's are bomb proof, they go on to silly mileages really, considering how high they rev, always come back for more. Its only bodged conversions or poorly mainatined stuff that gives up on them.

Well yea thats true considering how high mileage they are now and how high they rev and its like you said its only the poorly converted ones that have problems.

MK999
13-02-10, 06:42 PM
That 1800 8v would suit you down to the ground imo Craig, twin 40's? :cool:

/thread derailed lol

craig green
13-02-10, 06:44 PM
Nah injection FTW in this case. Twin butterfly TB. You seen it?
Not mega power, but decent units that are quite revvy compared with the 2.0L.

Damo
13-02-10, 06:46 PM
Nah injection FTW in this case. Twin butterfly TB. You seen it?
Not mega power, but decent units that are quite revvy compared with the 2.0L.
Yea standard injection also for me if you take that away from it it ruins the originalty of the engine IMO.

MK999
13-02-10, 06:49 PM
Fair enough, I was on a power hunt myself there, I'm fairly convinced my 1.6 was never running right, but then compared to other things on the road it seemed to be at it's usual 100ish bhp... but that never really set my world alight like I thought it would, i'm not sure 120 would do it either lol

I'm at a total loss on what engine I wanna go for really, or at least anything that's within budget, something like Oli D's old engine would be perfect lol I haven't got anywhere near as much money to play with as I thought I did either so it's the old 1.6 with some new sensors and fuel reg for me until I figure out what I want/can afford.

Damo
13-02-10, 06:58 PM
Fair enough, I was on a power hunt myself there, I'm fairly convinced my 1.6 was never running right, but then compared to other things on the road it seemed to be at it's usual 100ish bhp... but that never really set my world alight like I thought it would, i'm not sure 120 would do it either lol

I'm at a total loss on what engine I wanna go for really, or at least anything that's within budget, something like Oli D's old engine would be perfect lol I haven't got anywhere near as much money to play with as I thought I did either so it's the old 1.6 with some new sensors and fuel reg for me until I figure out what I want/can afford.

The old 1.6s are a cracking engine mate han punch well above there weight when needed they love revving though too.

Adam
13-02-10, 07:08 PM
F**k carbs!!!! lol

AST14 is an injection profile cam iirc, so i doubt its that.
Hmm, is it only in 4th/5th it runs bad??

Damo
13-02-10, 07:28 PM
F**k carbs!!!! lol

AST14 is an injection profile cam iirc, so i doubt its that.
Hmm, is it only in 4th/5th it runs bad??

As far as i know ad he says its only in 4th/5th gear when booting it from bout 1800rpm it stutters around 2200/2400rpm but if he backs off an reboots it it will rev ok?:confused:

craig green
13-02-10, 08:23 PM

I always felt the same about my 1600 8v. It seemed lifeless & certainly didnt like to rev, it was 100bhp quick on the road however, fending off XR2i's & other Novas, yet I have heard & seen the same engines that sounded & drew far better through the filter & ripped upto the limiter nicely. I believe the Siemens equipped GSi's were prone to an ECU problem causing them to overfuel, though I cant confirm that. But mine was sh*t.

tashley6
14-02-10, 04:46 PM
its a wered 1!! i checked the sensor wires and no problem what so ever!! i thinke i could be looking in the rong place round that sensor!!! the bloke also who did the dyno run also sed i doughted if a remap would solve the problem! but the ecu problem could be it is ther any way of checkin this without the remap? the ecu im running is hard to come by!! as it is running the AFM simlar to the red top
dameo will get the managment wir liked up asap and check for faults! be a sensable idea wouldnt it haha

Damo
14-02-10, 04:52 PM
its a wered 1!! i checked the sensor wires and no problem what so ever!! i thinke i could be looking in the rong place round that sensor!!! the bloke also who did the dyno run also sed i doughted if a remap would solve the problem! but the ecu problem could be it is ther any way of checkin this without the remap? the ecu im running is hard to come by!! as it is running the AFM simlar to the red top
dameo will get the managment wir liked up asap and check for faults! be a sensable idea wouldnt it haha

Certainly would mate lol are you running XE managment then as if you are that may be the problem mate as it may be trying to identify sensors that arnt there:confused: .

tashley6
14-02-10, 05:09 PM
no mate i can assure u im not its what im led to belive a c20ser loom apparently thers not many aroud with this ecu and loom and i dout it would even fire up with red top tackle on wud it? also it will run perfect using a eco tec AFM when wires adjusted to do so

Damo
14-02-10, 05:23 PM
no mate i can assure u im not its what im led to belive a c20ser loom apparently thers not many aroud with this ecu and loom and i dout it would even fire up with red top tackle on wud it? also it will run perfect using a eco tec AFM when wires adjusted to do so

The XE's loom obviously wont fit but the ECU may though if it has the same connetion plug. I wouldnt hve though it would run ok with an ecotec AFM as there a later managment system and 16v so that may be where your problem lies have you got the original AFM there the big ally ones like the GTEs had arnt they?

tashley6
14-02-10, 06:01 PM
no this is an origanal AFM loom and ecu my old engine had that AFM same as gte/gsi !! the plug for my AFM has only 4 spaces for 4 pins as the the bigger AFM has space in the plug for 5 pins but only contains 4! simlar but slightly diffrent size!! so on worries ther and for sum reson the eco tec AFM dose run my engine tryed and tested by a friend!! with same loom on newer engine!

tashley6
14-02-10, 06:06 PM
and also in looking for more power owt of the 8valve if anyone could help? ideas

Damo
14-02-10, 06:31 PM
no this is an origanal AFM loom and ecu my old engine had that AFM same as gte/gsi !! the plug for my AFM has only 4 spaces for 4 pins as the the bigger AFM has space in the plug for 5 pins but only contains 4! simlar but slightly diffrent size!! so on worries ther and for sum reson the eco tec AFM dose run my engine tryed and tested by a friend!! with same loom on newer engine!
Odd though that mate but if it works it works you carnt argue with proof lol an ive seen proof but wire the management light up an see what you get ash:thumb: .

Get the head port & polished mate (inlet and exhaust ports). Get the throttle body done whilst your at it will help the engine breath better should see some small gains with that:thumb: i know a lad who polishes by the way if you dicide to go that route.

tashley6
15-02-10, 09:05 AM
Well am just trying to get a second head!! To improve and I will get in touch!!! How much is it for your mate to do this?

Damo
15-02-10, 09:33 AM
Well am just trying to get a second head!! To improve and I will get in touch!!! How much is it for your mate to do this?

Not sure mate he does it in his garage at home so hes done his own throttle body and it big improvements he sell them on ebay from time to time in exchange with peoples old ones you may have seen the car its a bright yellow pug 106 gti it was in spray an bake in birdwell being repaired.:thumb:

Ive left you a message in parts wanted ash av got some gte skirts in antracite.:thumb:
Damo.

tashley6
15-02-10, 12:06 PM
Ye I did see it that's wher I used to work! And if you could get me a price I would do it my slef but never done it befor

Damo
15-02-10, 12:16 PM
Ye I did see it that's wher I used to work! And if you could get me a price I would do it my slef but never done it befor

Al av a word with him for you mate.

You see my post over gte skirts?