PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy Idle

sparky
11-02-10, 09:48 PM
Hi,

I have a 1991 Nova GSI and it wont idle properly until its warm, and then it idles at 1200rpm, pretty standard set up as far as I know except it has a pipercross air filter.

Getting a bit annoying TBH, any of you guys have any ideas?

Thanks

Sparky

craig green
11-02-10, 09:52 PM
Air leak between AFM & throttle body? or in the inlet somewhere.

You can try cleaning the ICV if it helps.

sparky
11-02-10, 10:15 PM
I'll have a check for those at the weekend.

Cheers.

I assume the aftermarket air filter couldnt cause this?

tashley6
12-02-10, 02:08 PM
the air filter in my opinion shouldt really affect that much i have a simler problem on a 2.0 8valve and it is the airflow meter!! well a connection to it

craig green
12-02-10, 02:23 PM
It could be the air filter, they take in more hot air from the engine bay than the std plastic airbox, does making the engine run a little lean.

Is it a C16SE or E16Se engine??

Damo
12-02-10, 06:20 PM
It could be the air filter, they take in more hot air from the engine bay than the std plastic airbox, does making the engine run a little lean.

Is it a C16SE or E16Se engine??

It'll probs be an e16se on a '91 reg but im with craig on this one i think it could be an air leak in the inlet side of things.

Damo.

sparky
15-02-10, 08:54 PM
It drops down to stalling, when I turn on the lights and heater etc.....

16v Nova Kev
15-02-10, 08:56 PM
could need a new battery

sparky
15-02-10, 09:48 PM
Battery is new, never have any sort of probs starting it.The engine has a small oil leak, thinking of taking it out, giving the engine bay a spray and re-gasketing and painting the engine and putting it back in.

How long would it take to get the engine out? A day? Are the driveshafts hard to disconnect?

sparky
15-02-10, 09:51 PM
Thinking gaskets arent too expensive??

craig green
15-02-10, 09:58 PM
Use gaskets from a motor factor or GM stuff, not ebay. But not expensive tbh.

Engine can be out in 2 hours if you know what you are doing, but stubborn bolts & head scratching takes up hours. Pretty sure you could search out a guide on here tbh.

But simply, with it jacked up, drain fluids, remove all off shoots of the engine like cables, wires, pipes & hoses etc. Then undo exhaust, undo the bottom arms & btie bars then support the engine on a jack, undo the lower strut/knuckle mount bolts , undo the engine mounts & the whole drops down to the floor.

Thats assuming you cant fix the running prob you have though.

sparky
15-02-10, 10:47 PM
I'll get my m8 to have a look at the weekend to try to sort the running problem, but it will still have an oil leak and the engine bay could do with a spray, although its not too bad. Was gonna take the engine out upwards, dont I want to do that?