PDA

View Full Version : LED BRAKELIGHT WIRING

portadownfc
08-04-03, 02:03 PM
I have just bought a LED brake light for the rear of my nova. can anyone give me any tips on how to wire it up so that it comes on when i press the brakes.

it has one black wire and another black wire with a white stripe on it.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

cheers
John Thornton

Alex
08-04-03, 02:39 PM
find which wire should be earthed, and which one should be live when the brake pedal is pressed. do this by linking one wire to the battery and one to the earth. it will only work one way round.

The wire to the earth, obviously needs to be earthed when the light is fitted. The live one can just be connected to the existing brake light wires via a scotchlock or similar. Then your brake light will work :D

Nova-Boy
08-04-03, 02:40 PM
Do you have any instructions that tell you which is +ve and -ve?

If not i would guess that the black is ground and with the stripe live. You need to wire the live to your live wire that goes to your brake light bulb and fix the nuetral down to an earth point somewhere. Crimp an eyelet to it and fix it to the body. Try to use one that is allready there. Saves you having to drill holes in your bodywork. I would sugest maybe using the rear heated window earth on the boot if your putting it at the top of your window. If not try somewhere in your boot.

Hope this helps.

Nova-Boy
08-04-03, 02:41 PM
God dam beaten to it again!

Alex
08-04-03, 02:42 PM
:lol:

Snowface
08-04-03, 06:58 PM
i have wired my brake light led on my gsi spoiler. The positive goes to the black wire with the yellow tracer on (open the boot and inside by the clusters you'll see). The earth is the Brown one. To test ur LED buy a new 9V battery and join it up. It'll work one way and not the other. That'll tell u the +ve amd -ve wires. It won't be as bright as the full 12Voltsw but u should still see a light.

Alex
08-04-03, 06:59 PM
or use your car battery :roll:

Snowface
08-04-03, 07:02 PM
or use your car battery :roll:

yeah, i wasn't sure if that would have too much ampres?
I got all my info from the www.toppbuzz.co.uk modding guide on how to fit a GSI spoiler and brakelight. But now the modding part of the site is down. it has been for about a month!

mikeoxford
08-04-03, 10:17 PM
www.topbuzz.co.uk - only one p ;)

its offkine at the mo :cry: